Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > The Bosun's Locker > Repairs & Maintenance
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 01-30-2013, 11:29 AM   #1
Rear Admiral

Default Having a few wins in Borneo

Have just finished hooking up the new hydraulic auto helm after the old pump died a death and rather than mess about trying to patch up a 10 year old system, we decided to replace the whole lot except for the piston at the rudder post and the hoses.

We now have a new Raymarine wireless system hooked up to the helm which is actually talking to our Garmin Radar and chart plotter. Even more surprising, we now have a new Raymarine depth sounder display spliced into an ancient Silva transducer that we cannot budge without going through a haul out. That display also now talks to our Garmin chart plotter and helm repeater unit.

Tomorrow I'm up the main mast to fit the Tactic Wind instrument which we've manage to get talking to the Garmin as well, although we're still yet to find out if we need a repeater unit midway.

The Nav station has a new back wall and desk as well as a drop down panel which I'll varnish tomorrow and then fit all the instruments into.

Mind you - when I say 'we' what I really mean is Tony - our electronics wiz two boats down in the marina here at Kota Kinabalu.

- I'm just the lackey who cuts, sands and crawls through all the holes climbs the mast as well as traipsing all over Sabah for electrical parts.

On Monday I found a cab driver willing to drive me all over the place for 4 hours and interpret for me (Only up to the second chapter of Malay for Dummies). We found a plywood company who also carried every timber facia I have ever come across - from Teak to American Cherry and Mahogany - they had everything.

Unfortunately they did not have the facilities to glue the facia onto the ply but introduced me to the woodworking shop next door who agreed to glue and deliver to the marina.

The following day I had two friendly Malaysians carrying an 8' x 6' sheet of 16mm ply with 3mm teak facia through the resort and out to Australis. I picked up a cheap vibrating cutter from Oz which cut through the lot like a hot knife through butter with a cut width of barely 1.5mm

The whole exercise cost me just 290 Ringets - which is about $110 AU

That same bit of ply and facia would have cost me close on $550 AU plus delivery back in Oz.

So tonight I'm sitting on the deck with a jug of Jim Beam and pot of noodles and
trying to decide if I really want to go back to Oz in March at all.

It's going to be a close call.

Fair winds,

Australis II (ex Mico)

Old 01-30-2013, 11:50 AM   #2
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

What are the marina fees like in Kota?

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:28 PM   #3
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by mico View Post
So tonight I'm sitting on the deck with a jug of Jim Beam and pot of noodles and
trying to decide if I really want to go back to Oz in March at all.

It's going to be a close call.
When we arrived in SE Asia I thought we would never leave. Such fond memories of our cruising through Borneo and the rest of Malaysia, Thailand, Indonesia. Such sweet people in Borneo, I hope that never changes.

Oh, my, how electronics has advanced in the past 10 years, compared to the 20 - 25 years before that! I'm finally getting used to using a chart plotter, though with our paper charts right there, too. linking nav to autopilot to !! - wow.

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:42 PM   #4
Rear Admiral

I'm finally getting used to using a chart plotter, though with our paper charts right there, too. linking nav to autopilot to !! - wow.

It's not all smooth sailing however. We are having some problems though. No matter how he tries, Tony can't seem to get the Garmin to talk to the toaster or the coffee percolator!
Old 01-31-2013, 01:20 AM   #5
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

Paper charts are great fun. Drawing wiggly lines and cocked hats amid the coffee rings creates memories that cannot be replicated on a chart plotter.

The thing with toasters is they use a lot of power. has anyone ever found a decent toaster that can be used on a gas ring, but which will toast bread or a crumpet (jeez I like crumpets dripping with butter and smeared with vegemite) without leaving one bit uncooked, adjacent to the petrified bit?

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote