Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > The Bosun's Locker > Repairs & Maintenance
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 04-09-2010, 03:20 AM   #1
Ensign

Send a message via Yahoo to canuckiwis

Hi All

Perhaps a silly question, but i have always been told the silly one is the one you didn't ask!

I am putting some latches on the cockpit lockers on the boat (GRP) and they are made of 304 grade stainless steel. I have some 18-10 S/S screws I was going to use- but is it ok to mix these? I know that mixing different metals types is a fine recipe for electrolysis, but does that apply to different grades of S/S as well? Its not exactly in a critical location, but I don't want rust stains on my lockers!

Cheers

Dan

Old 04-09-2010, 05:17 AM   #2
Admiral

Hello Dan,

Even though the latches are 304 S/S and out in the Cockpit and subjected to the elements, they should be OK - if they get soaked in Sea Water wash them down with fresh and once dry, apply (mixture used cooking oil and natural turps)

The use of 316 S/S screws in the latches - no prob.

Old 04-09-2010, 05:43 AM   #3

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

Often different SS alloys mixed will quickly cause rust on the less corrosion resistant stainless. Also, they can bind/rust together. Above the waterline (not in the water), you CAN mix SS and bronze fasteners/nuts or hardware/fasteners with greater success than two different SS alloys in terms of rust and seizing. The bronze will, of course, turn green as it does anyway but the SS/bronze combo won't rust the stainless and it won't seize up like two different stainless alloys will.

Fairwinds

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote