Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > The Bosun's Locker > Repairs & Maintenance
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 05-03-2010, 07:56 PM   #1
Ensign

I am trying to find the best way to remove sticker residue from the old home port name on the boat. I have tried many commercial cleaners with no luck. I have heard that heating it with a hair dryer or heat gun may work but my thought was it would just get stickier. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Paul

Homer, Alaska

San Juan 28

Old 05-03-2010, 11:32 PM   #2
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by prauch' date='04 May 2010 - 02:56 AM View Post

I am trying to find the best way to remove sticker residue from the old home port name on the boat. I have tried many commercial cleaners with no luck. I have heard that heating it with a hair dryer or heat gun may work but my thought was it would just get stickier. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Paul

Homer, Alaska

San Juan 28
I have used WD40 successfully

(note : It could be the gasoline component that does the trick ?)

Old 05-03-2010, 11:33 PM   #3

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

There are commercial products, one called something like "goo be gone" which you can use. Is it on fiberglass? paint? You can use alcohol which sometimes dissolves glues like that. Acetone works but if a (failing) painted surface you may remove the paint. If fiberglass, you might have to buff it to get the luster back.

good luck,

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 12:59 AM   #4

Send a message via AIM to delatbabel

Orange oil

Eucalyptus oil

White spirit

... in decreasing order of preference. If the first doesn't work, try the second, etc.
Old 05-04-2010, 01:01 AM   #5
Ensign

It is fiberglass on the transom. I was wondering about acetone but did not want it to ruin the fiberglass. I have tried products like goo-be-gone as well WD-40 but no luck. Thanks
Old 05-04-2010, 01:47 AM   #6
Ensign

Send a message via Yahoo to lang

Have you tried "lighter fluid"? Works on Gelcoat and paint, with little damage to the surface.

I do this alot because I am into the boat letterings and decal business.
Old 05-04-2010, 01:51 AM   #7
Admiral

I use sticky tape to remove the sticky stuff left behind. Glue attaches best to glue. Try with a small patch of duct tape or clear mailing tape. Tap it on the sticky area and remove it immediately, not too fast. The new glue should stay on the tape and bring the old glue on the fiberglass with it. It's a slow way, and sometimes it doesn't work well, but usually I can get the tape glue off everything with this method. Advantage is it doesn't hurt the surface. The same technique as using sticky tape to remove animal hair or lint from fabric.

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 03:45 PM   #8
Boomerang!

Home Port: Oxford, MD
Vessel Name: Boomerang!

Actually, a heat gun works great, being careful not to get the hull too hot. I also use a razor scraper (properly, and I cannot explain it in words). Used this method to remove the old hailing port off the hull.....

Give it a whirl....

S/V Boomerang!

1980 Cal 39 Mark II

St Michaels, MD
Boomerang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 01:03 PM   #9
Admiral

Thank you all for motivating me to try something I seem to have heard/read about somewhere. It's plain old cheap cooking oil!

I am a compulsive recycler, among other things re-using plastic and glass containers whenever possible. Most of them use a waterproof glue to affix labels, as with vinyl detailing on a boat. My normal method for getting the label off easily and cleanly is to fill the container with hot water to loosen the glue's grip on the container and then slowly peel off the label. However, sometimes I pull off the label after using water that heats up the glue too much and the label comes off easily but leaves the glue behind. Sometimes just some of the glue. My normal procedure is to use the lable itself to remove the rest of the left-behind glue or in some cases, a piece of sticky tape such as packing tape or duck tape, and usually it works really well.

Recently I was REALLY sloppy in removing a label on a plastic container that I want to use to store flour, and most of the glue on the label was left behind.

Am I going on for too long? Sorry, but I just can't help it.

Solution, motivated by this topic, was that cheap old cooking oil. I figured it couldn't hurt to try, and it worked better than I ever expected. Moistened a paper towel (it's very mildly abrasive) with the oil and gently scrubbed all the glue off! A quick rinse, no scratches at all, and I have my container.

Try it. You might be surprised at how well it works.

J

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 12:32 PM   #10
Admiral

Good friend in the adjacent berth taped up his bright work with 3M masking tape, and returned some weeks later and removed the tape, guess what? the adhesive remained firmly stuck to his boat. Tried everything! Got hold of 3M and they suggested CLICK Success, but needed lots of nit picking work.
Old 05-08-2010, 01:30 AM   #11
Ensign

And the winner is: Lighter fluid!

It worked wonders and now I can relabel it with our new home port! Thanks for all the suggestions!