Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > The Bosun's Locker > Repairs & Maintenance
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 05-04-2008, 05:15 PM   #1
Ensign

Has anyone here tried (or personally know of someone who has tried) the ShipSonic Ultrasonic antifouling system. It makes complete sense. Question is Does it work?

ShipSonic Antifouling

Old 05-04-2008, 11:05 PM   #2
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiesuede View Post
Has anyone here tried (or personally know of someone who has tried) the ShipSonic Ultrasonic antifouling system. It makes complete sense. Question is Does it work?

ShipSonic Antifouling
I find the gadget very difficult to accept as being something that would encourage a barnacle to detach itself from its new found home.

Barnacle glue must be one of natures very best secrets, now if we could buy that in a jar at the same price they are asking for a gadget that is recommended for an average size cruising yacht ie:- 1,499 pounds sterling = US$ 3,000 --- that would be a good buy in comparison.

Probably even cheaper to add a little Snake Oil to to take the place of TBT in anti-fouling paint.

Old 05-06-2008, 10:23 AM   #3
Admiral

Scientists at the Prestigious University of Purdue have been fascinated by the adhesive that barnacles produce tp attach themselves to a home where they can live out their lives - a significant finding was the need for iron to be be used in the complex amino acid formulae. : Mussel Glue
Old 05-06-2008, 05:06 PM   #4
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMNETSEA View Post
Scientists at the Prestigious University of Purdue have been fascinated by the adhesive that barnacles produce tp attach themselves to a home where they can live out their lives - a significant finding was the need for iron to be be used in the complex amino acid formulae. : Mussel Glue
Interesting. Wonder if simply inducing anemia in the barnacles will reverse the adhesion process. Amazing that something like this has only somewhat recently received this type of study....
Old 07-01-2008, 09:45 AM   #5
Ensign

The Ultrasonic Antifouling device has been in use on a number of yachts since 2006, one of which is an aluminium hull. It has only just become commercially available now that there is proof that it works. In fact the system is very simple.. A transducer is fixed to the inside of the hull and a control box sends pulsed ultrasonic signals to it. In turn the transducer emits a series of low power, low frequency (in ultrasonic terms) sound waves, which create a micro environment across the hull surface that Algae and barnacles cannot live. Therefore the hull stays clean.

If the hull already has barnacle growth, it will have to be removed physically. With algae , on the other hand, it will displace it as you move through the water. Better that you start with a clean hull.

Of course other benefits will include, not having to continuously clean your log/paddle wheel .. it will also keep other underwater gear such as props and water intakes free from fouling.

As a result of having a cleaner hull, you will maintain better speeds on passage and of course save fuel.

For more information you can contact www.sonic-marine.co.uk
Old 07-01-2008, 10:07 AM   #6
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorman View Post
For more information you can contact www.sonic-marine.co.uk
As suggested went to the website and got this :-

Click image for larger version

Name:	Sonic_Marine.jpg
Views:	697
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	517

Therefore until proper confirmed scientific evidence and genuine user's recommendations are published . This product should treated with great circumspection. Is it just a rip off ?
Old 07-24-2008, 01:45 AM   #7
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMNETSEA View Post
As suggested went to the website and got this :-

Attachment 517

Therefore until proper confirmed scientific evidence and genuine user's recommendations are published . This product should treated with great circumspection. Is it just a rip off ?
I'm reserving judgement on that, I'm happy to continue scraping off and applying ex British MOD (Ministry of Defence) epoxy tar, which sets on my grp hull like liquid metal! The then I apply the usual Blakes etc AF. This can be good for a couple of years on the UK east coast shoal waters, which are quite demanding of anti fouling remedies.

Regards BS www.moreinfo247.com/8821255/free
Old 09-10-2008, 04:37 PM   #8
Ensign

I had a similar system on a 45' sloop in the early 80's,which I cruised to New Zealand out of San Francisco. It had 6 transducers inside the hull and a control box.I noticed no change in performance compared to earlier or later cruising boats I have had. I would be very wary without documented and guaranted results.
Old 09-30-2008, 01:41 AM   #9
Ensign

I am looking to buy one of these systems if they are not to pricey. US$3000 mentioned is that what they want for little electronics and a transducer? - Yikes! thats too much for me.

Currently we have not antifouled our 45 ketch (twin keels) in 19 years. Instead we carreen (park) somewhere suitable every few weeks or so. Takes an hour or two and costs nothing. We have cruised the pacific islands where the tides are not quite as much as I would like but havnt had any problems. We own a mud berth and sitting in the mud in the off season get little or no growth.

If I manage to afford one of these units Ill post the results for everyone.

cheers

a
Old 10-03-2008, 05:15 AM   #10
Ensign

I did a little research and managed to be in contact with a chap who has one on his boat, one of the things he says is that it is not a replacement for anti foul and he still antifouls. I guess that is because 1 where he is is quite strong fouling and 2 the anti foul available since the ban on TBT is in comparison 'Junk'. I read that near the waterline its effect is noticably less. All in all so far I think it would be good to have but the price is way too much at the moment. I also note there are several companies who make them so in time the facts should come clear and if good they will become quite cheap. The next question is: which company makes the best one?
Old 03-04-2009, 04:48 AM   #11
Ensign

i wonder if its the same as http://www.boatsure.com.au

anybody tried one of these things?

i hate antifouling!!!
Old 03-04-2009, 10:01 AM   #12
Admiral

[QUOTE=name='aeronox' date='Mar 4 2009, 12:48 PM' post='31157']

i wonder if its the same as http://www.boatsure.com.au

/quote]

Perhaps best to ask them - it still sounds like snake oil ! the people who give testimonials should also provide full CONTACT addresses.

IT would be very Useful to to see a barnacle leaving it's home without a whimper !l
Old 03-04-2009, 10:10 AM   #13
Retired Mod

Home Port: Durban

My question would be that if it works, why are the world's shipping and fishing fleets not using it?

The World Cruising & Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online World Cruising Guide.

"Built by cruisers, for cruisers''

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Most sections
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 10:41 AM   #14
Admiral

With all the debates around the globe on the damaging environmental effects of anti-fouling one would imagine it to be in the interest of many governments and NGOs to find an alternative. Why then has this device, and others of that ilk, not been officially tested by national standards institutions?

Without the approval of BSI, LLoyds, ABS, DNV or any of a host of other recognised institutions I would not touch this with the proverbial barge pole.

Aye // Stephen

WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU DID SOMETHING FOR THE FIRST TIME?

www.nausikaa.org.uk

= Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Lithuania
Nausikaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 02:09 AM   #15
Ensign

Hi regarding marine sonic

i bought MS-10 and installed it in my steel moter saler at $ 2130 in 2007

i fitted this very simple ,so far its been a succes i only need cleaning with brush around the water line every 3 months

I run it 24 hour with my 40watt solarpannel not using much power

So far i made the cost back by saving 2 slip and fouling around $ 2600 (slip/hardstand 1 day and cleaning/painting(and few days)

There are a few avaleble but after investigation of some them i used Marine Sonic

The support and help from them is verry good (including the instalation guide

the web side http://www.asmaustralian.com/marine_sonic.htm

i recoment this to a all

Regards

Lynger1
Old 07-16-2010, 11:44 PM   #16
Ensign

Have had a 'BoatSure' fitted to Bel Isi for 18 months, installed my self. My only problem with the unit , is maintaining the film between transducer and hull, had to mount on a 45*slope.

Water line growth is still a problem and has to be scraped off every few weeks. Antifoul is in places gone and the epoxy undercoat showing, water line growth seems to be the same on the epoxy which seems to indicate the Boatsure works ?

Diveing under the hull it looks clean of weed or shells. Slimes badly in marina but 2 hrs at 5 Knots it all slides off and hull looks clean.

Here in the Tropics with warm water all year round Anti-fouling will only work for 12 months or less for some types of growth. Bel Isi last done march 08. (international Coppercoat)

Due out of the water in the next few months to replace sea cocks and will be able to give better report on results then.

I have been looking at what others have to say on 'copper shield' had thought that a combination of the two might be the answer. Might just do the water line with copper shield and see what happens. Mike