Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > The Bosun's Locker > Repairs & Maintenance
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 05-30-2011, 08:58 PM   #1
Commander

Does anyone know the name of the company that makes the stainless steel cleaning dip? You just toss your stainless into the bucket of this stuff and a couple hours later it's spotless. They used to advertise with Good Old Boat but I haven't seen their ads in a while.

Old 06-02-2011, 02:32 PM   #2
Commander

I think I found it: Spotless Stainless

http://www.spotlessstainless.com/

It removes both rust and surface iron which prevents future rust. No scrubbing needed and it's environmentally friendly.

I'll be ordering some soon and will let you know how it works.

Old 06-02-2011, 04:59 PM   #3

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

Thanks for coming back with the brand. Do let us know how it goes.

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 08:25 AM   #4
Ensign

[QUOTE=redbopeep;1307033962]

Don't bother with these expensive cleaners. They are nothing but repackaged phosphoric acid which you can buy at hardware stores; Ospho is a name brand but there are various liquids sold as rust removers. On/Off is sold in boat stores but it also contains hydrochoric acid which is much stronger and can dull the finish of stainless. If you have heavily rusted stainless, wire brush off the bulk of the rust first and you still may have to scrub off the oxide with a toothbrush or scotchbrite pad.
Old 06-07-2011, 08:00 PM   #5
Commander

I've used OSPHO before, but am hoping this stuff works better and am willing to give it a try. I just ordered some, and totally guess the coupon code "freeship" and saved the $4 for shipping. Expect a review next week. I might even buy some more OSPHO and do a side-by-side comparison.
Old 06-07-2011, 08:14 PM   #6
Commander

So I just got a call from Spotless Stainless thanking me for my order and wondering where I got the coupon code from. Apparently he had set it up for a gentleman in B.C. and never advertised it. He seemed somewhat impressed, or at least amused, that I had guessed at it so easily (it was even my first guess). I told him that I had put the coupon code on this website (which he hadn't heard of before), and he told me that he would change it from being a "limited to two uses" expiration to an end of June expiration.

Also, he said that never did advertise through Good Old Boat, but I swear I heard about his product through something to do with that magazine.

Tags
cleaner, maintenance, stainless