Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > The Bosun's Locker > Repairs & Maintenance
Cruiser Wiki

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 04-08-2008, 04:02 AM   #15
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbopeep View Post
Ratios--good question. The ratios are stamped onto the s/n plate but we can begin to question that, huh? I guess I'll be doing a quick set of measurements, pulling part numbers off the gears and making sure the gears and ratios are correct! Thank you so much for bringing up this important point! The new prop hasn't been fabricated yet but we'd just gotten the bids on it so that's something to figure out now rather than later!
There is one thing certain and that is if the transmission has stood for a long time , say > 3years

then the seals on input and output shafts would have hardened up - and when eventually running again would probably leak! Therefore, absolutely nothing lost in your present replacement exercise.

If the transmission is not yet coupled to the engine - then by turning the input shaft 360 and measuring degrees turned on the output - the ratios can be confirmed as matching what is stamped on the S/N plate.

Richard

Old 04-08-2008, 04:27 AM   #16

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMNETSEA View Post
There is one thing certain and that is if the transmission has stood for a long time , say > 3years

then the seals on input and output shafts would have hardened up - and when eventually running again would probably leak! Therefore, absolutely nothing lost in your present replacement exercise.

If the transmission is not yet coupled to the engine - then by turning the input shaft 360 and measuring degrees turned on the output - the ratios can be confirmed as matching what is stamped on the S/N plate.

Richard
good plan but I still will check the gears just to see if they're as per the drawings and parts lists for this transmission.

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 04:30 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine2frolic View Post
and that's only one $64,000 question when it comes to cruising. How can I be totally self suffecient while cruising? Every cruiser's delima, what to take, and what not to take. Can I trust the supplier for supplying me with exactly what I need. BEST WISHES in getting everything in order. From reading your posts. You 2 are probably the one of the most capable couples I know of. I have faith you will sort it out................
Thanks for the kind words . We're just a couple of control freaks in our own very special way...

Old 07-30-2008, 06:26 PM   #18

Dear all:

I thought I'd follow up with "what happened" on this topic. Turns out MER couldn't actually get the part either. They tried and tried but kept getting something that was not right. I ended up returning two different ($35 each) seals to them that were not right.

I tried the NAPA folks and other places that cater to trucking--but no go.

After a couple months and needing to get this transmission back onto the engine and in the boat--I went to a local industrial place (called Motion Control Inc) and looked through their SKF seal catalog to order a replacement seal. I ended up making the "minimum" order of 3 seals at $2.98/seal--including shipping/tax the total was around $18--so $6.00/seal

When I made the order at Motion Control, I also checked with the folks at Hurth yet again. They had something they "thought" would work--at about $55 plus shipping for 1 seal. I figured that was my back up if the Motion Control procured SKF seals didn't work. But all is well that ends well-- the seal was perfect and I have not one but TWO spares! at a very good cost savings.

Old 07-30-2008, 09:36 PM   #19
Rear Admiral

LOLOLOLOLOL.....my faith is restored