Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > The Bosun's Locker > Engines | Propulsion | Generators
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 08-24-2009, 11:38 PM   #1
Ensign

I have a Westerbeke W30 that suddenly started filling the sump with diesel. I noticed when the oil pressure started dropping.

I disassembled the lift pump and found the diaphragm looking good. I tried pumping it by hand after reassembly and could not get it to leak into the sump, so I figure that is not it.

The engine was running well and smoothly so I believe that eliminates the injectors.

That leaves the injector pump.

1. is there a way to verify it is the injector pump?

2. I am in Bimini. Is this something that can be repaired here, or should I come back to the states?

3. If I go back to States it would likely be Ft. Lauderdale. Can anyone recommend places to get the pump rebuilt?

The manual says the timing has to be checked with their special tool before reinstalling the pump. Is that necessary?

Is there an anchorage there I can sail into fairly easily without using the engine?

Thanks for any help.

Bummer. I finally made my first trip away from the states and now it looks like I have to go back.

Old 08-25-2009, 03:39 AM   #2
Admiral

"I have a Westerbeke W30 that suddenly started filling the sump with diesel. I noticed when the oil pressure started dropping."

"The engine was running well and smoothly so I believe that eliminates the injectors."

Hello, a few questions - so that we are on the same page:-

#1. Confirm the sump is the oil sump on the engine ?

#2. How did you ascertain that the sump was filling with diesel ?

#3. If the oil pressure was dropping - was the engine still running well and smoothly ?

Going back to your finding diesel in the sump? #4. How much ? #5 any water ?

Normally diesel in the sump is the result of a broken compression ring on a piston,

and because the diesel/air mixture is ignited in a diesel engine by very high compression (no spark as in a gasoline engine) unburnt diesel is forced down into the sump past the broken compression ring. Also diesel will be found in the sump when the engine's cylinders become worn -- but this is a much slower process.

To check the above, a diesel mechanic will measure the compression of each cylinder - one by one with a compression tester.

Here is a blown up graphic of your engine HERE

As to returning to Ft. Lauderdale what about ?

Nassau on New Providence; Freeport on Grand Bahama; Marsh Harbour area on Abaco; and George Town on Great Exuma , repair facilities are surely available.

Old 08-25-2009, 12:08 PM   #3
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMNETSEA View Post

As to returning to Ft. Lauderdale what about ?

Nassau on New Providence; Freeport on Grand Bahama; Marsh Harbour area on Abaco; and George Town on Great Exuma , repair facilities are surely available.
Peter just came back from a delivery trip to bring a boat from Georgetown to Nassau for work, then back. He was underwhelmed by the quality of service and work in both places. Things haven't changed much, at all. Marsh Harbour? Friends live in Hope Town and return to the US for work.

Sorry, I don't encourage anyone to trust their expensive gear to a tourist-acclimated economy ("here today, gone tomorrow") where dissatisfied customers don't hang around long enough to make waves. Miami is a much better place to get work done.

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 12:55 PM   #4
Admiral

Would it be useful to describe your husband's recent experiences in the Bahamas relative to engine problems and their repair?

Is it being suggested that there are no people or workshops that can undertake quality diesel engine repairs in the Bahamas?
Old 08-25-2009, 10:32 PM   #5
Ensign

Thanks for the replies.

#1 Yes its the engine sump, not the bilge.

#2 The level on this stick was higher after running than before. Also I did an oil change. I thought I pulled out more oil than normal, but didn't have a way to measure it. I added 4 qts and after running <20 mins removed nearly 5.5 qts.

#3 oil pressure was dropping and the engine was still running well and smoothly. Before I changed the oil I just thought that the oil was old and it was due for a change (about 80hrs on oil). After I changed the oil it was still very low. ~15 psi at idle, usually more than 25, and never made it to 40 psi. Usually is 80 psi cold and 60 psi hot.

#4 answered in #2

#5 no water. Oil looked like good oil, but was thin and solvent smelling and very little lubricity.

Ft Lauderdale is as close as anywhere else in the Bahamas. It's an old engine and generally hard to get parts for. I can't imagine they would be as easy to find in the Bahamas. Generally things are much more expensive in the Bahamas. I know there is a reputable shop in Ft Lauderdale. If it comes to a rebuild the shop facilities are important and the states is a known good quality.

Sailing around the Bahamas without an engine with so much shallow water makes me nervous. Those harbours are shallow and can be tricky. I just know better what to expect in the states. I could even use Towboat.

I'm pretty convinced its the injector pump. I'm still trying to track down a mechanic here in Bimini. I think one of my biggest questions now is a good place to anchor in or near Ft Lauderdale. Anyone know of anyplace?

Skipper Bobs mentions Lake Sylvia. How is that?
Old 08-26-2009, 02:55 AM   #6
Admiral

Not really able to provide any more clues on what may be the cause of the problem.

The amount of oil that you removed the second time seems a lot : 5.5 quarts.

What does the engine manual specify as the quantity of lubricant oil for the W.30 - somewhere there is a reference to 3.8 US Quarts (3.6 litres) Therefore if you had refilled with 4 quarts - the extra 0.2 of a quart would not have made significant difference. However, if you did not change the oil filter this could make up the additional oil found.

The Eccentric Rotor Pump, camshaft driven supplies no more than 60 psi to all parts (when the specified oil grade is used)

The source of the diesel in the engine's lubrication oil is very unlikely to be the high pressure fuel injector pump. The amount that is being found will only have arrived via the injectors (one or more) Therefore the diesel mechanic will be testing not only the cylinder compression also to check each injector for correct nozzle spray.

Bimini Blue Water Marina offers engine repair, Call ahead on VHF 16/68. tel. 242-347-3166, fax 242-347-3293.

If you need to bring in spares , the Bahamas Tariff Act stating that those cruising visitors with a valid Bahamas Temporary Cruising Permit are allowed to import boat repair/replacement parts DUTY FREE.

Marine Diesel Parts carries a full line of Westerbeke marine engine parts. At US 508-997-1805

Good luck
Old 08-28-2009, 01:52 PM   #7
Ensign

Seems to me there is only 3 places that fuel can contaminate the oil.

1./ Blowby of unburnt fuel past the rings.

2./ Leaking fuel pump.

3./ Leaking seal on shaft of fuel injection pump.

Sounds like the problem is the fuel injection pump drive seal leaking into the sump. Time to overhaul it and replace all seals, etc.

Good luck on this.

"I feel younger while afloat in my boat."

http//HealthyBoating.blogspot.com
Apolima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 12:32 AM   #8
Admiral

Apolima, Thanks !

I think your suggested diagnosis well worth looking into.

Here is the part number for the seal in question Westerbeke 14545 ; to be found at this site :-

HERE

Also need the gasket/s between pump and block.

Seal arrowed #4

Name:   Pump_oil_seal.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  3.2 KB
Old 08-29-2009, 11:50 PM   #9
Ensign

Thanks again Apolima and MMNETSEA.

I agree everything seems to have led to the pump shaft seal. Only question now is where to get it fixed.

Looks like a family emergency is going to take me back to FL anyway so I expect to depart sailing to Port Canaveral in the next couple days.

Winds are a little light, but should be enough to maneuver and with the Gulf Stream it should be a fairly quick trip.

Thanks again.

Michael