Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > The Bosun's Locker > Engines | Propulsion | Generators
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 08-20-2012, 02:48 PM   #1
Lieutenant

Home Port: Georgetown
Vessel Name: Surprise
Default East Coast trip plan

About this time in 2013, my wife and I are planning to sail from Maine to Florida and beyond. Mostly ICW on the way down.

The outline of our current plan is in development. Right now we plan to overnight at anchor or moorings 4-5 days and in a marina 1-2per week to re-provision and get a hot shower (no shower aboard our Sabre 28). Work our way down to Beaufort and then beyond over the winter of 2013-14.

As a broad question, is there ONE resource that can provide a list of decent anchorages and marinas for the East Coast?

Also - we have to acquire a tender. With limited space on our foredeck, is it practical to think we can tow it for the entire cruise? Should we look at davits? Expect it will be a sailing/rowing dinghy - don't want the added maintenance of an outboard. Maybe a Portland Pudgy as it is not too long - though not that pretty to look at and I have not tried to row one so a test drive is needed.

Hoping to do as much on the Pardy - shoestring model as we can since we don't have tons of cash in the bank and we are planning to keep our house (and its mortgage).

I guess this is a lot more than 1 question . . .

Old 08-20-2012, 03:55 PM   #2
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

I don't know much about sailing the ICW, but towing a dinghy is fine as long as the weather remains fine, the sea remains calm, and you don't have to do a quick reverse.

Seriously, dinghies can be a huge problem if something goes awry. Davits on a 28'er could be a problem and I know you won't have a tennis court on the foredeck. Perhaps a roll-up might be the answer. I'm currently looking at exactly that option. They don't row so well, but a weeny outboard is pretty cheap. Probably cheaper than davits and mounts.

I'm sure you will get lots of great advice regarding sailing the ICW. Sounds like a great adventure and romantic to boot. Buy yourself a solar shower. Cost about $20 from most decent chandleries. Fill with water, whack it on deck for the day, it will heat wonderfully and provide a good shower for two people at the end of a day's sailing. If you can't rig it below, just hang it off the boom over the cockpit, put up a curtain (easily rigged to anything you can tie a length of string to), and have fun soaping each other up. This way can provide a good shower each day and save on marina costs.

You'll soon see the destination is of little consequence. Getting there is what it's all about.
Cheers,
David

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 04:10 PM   #3
Lieutenant

Thanks for that quick reply.
Have you ever seen or know of anyone who uses a Portabote? I have not used one but suspect they may row better than an inflatable with a similar(?) storage space?
Old 08-20-2012, 04:17 PM   #4
Admiral

I know a girl who uses a portaboat. She swears by it, but leaves it permanently in the water. I think they are fairly heavy. I have no experience with them as such, but to be honest, I think they look a bit ordinary. Not that appearance is so important....is it?

Old 08-20-2012, 04:22 PM   #5
Lieutenant

If appearances were a high priority my boat would be sitting in the yard and my wife would have left me long ago

I will take function over form anytime.
Old 08-20-2012, 05:20 PM   #6
Commander

Home Port: St. Augustine FL
Vessel Name: Linnupesa

Great reply there about appearances Capt. Dinghy

Having used an Avon (9' about) with the Armstrong perspiration, sorry, I mean propulsion system I hear you. Now what about a cheap inflatable kayak, like the Seyvlor I've got stored below deck? (waiting for suitable plugs/fittings to inflate it, I hear they DO exist)

This kayak rolls up tight, should inflate easily and is quite easily manageable weight-wise. Getting aboard may be a bit tricky and I only offer this suggestion, but not necessarily a good one. With a side or rear ladder to grab onto it should be doable if you are somewhat flexible.

Hanging an Avon off the rear I broke one wooden (experimental) support strut in a squall in Albemarle sound. The aluminum ones have since held up going around Hatteras, but swaying, chafe and rocking still needed thought and resolutions to cure it.

Towing worked for a while but will not on all points of sail or motoring. After 16 hours of benign towing on a short tether, actually more like surfing it along behind with 8-10' following seas, it overturned coming ashore into a channel. But still attached at least.

With winds under 20kn towing should be OK if you use a split bridle, V-ed to either side of the "schnout of the liddl bout".

High waves abeam and wind could perhaps still flip it. Choosing the good (i.e. motoring) weather, towing is perhaps the easiest and most convenient option. Else, remove the floor and store it below. Once you've done it a few times you get good at it and it becomes less of a hassle. Just think of the shower you'll have.

Ivo s/v Linnupesa
Old 08-20-2012, 05:40 PM   #7
Lieutenant

Thinking a kayak may be a bit small for me, the missus and a pile of supplies. But not a bad option if strictly used for gunkholing.

Thanks
Old 08-20-2012, 05:40 PM   #8
Rear Admiral

Home Port: San Jose, CA
Vessel Name: Coyote

We have similar boats, you and I. A hard dinghy is just not going to work for you, IMO. I have a 6' wooden folding dinghy and it just barely works. It's tough, I know. 6' barely fits on my foredeck and I wouldn't go anywhere with it up there unless it were flat seas blowing 7 knots, sure not to change. It won't fit abaft the mast unless you have no boom vang.

As much as I hate it, I suggest a rollup or something similar. If you are mostly ICW (speaking from a position of ignorance) you might be fine towing - especially if you truck your hard dinghy around the more exposed parts. I've done that trick a couple times so I could have my 9' whaler as a tender.

I have a sun shower too. It works great, but not in the sun. Where I live you could leave it on your deck for a month and not have hot water much of the time. In your case the situation will improve as you move south. I use a tea kettle to make it warm. I also bought an extended tube so I can hang it from the halyard and run it in the fore-hatch to the head. This is more to get out of the cold than to avoid exposure to observers.
Old 08-20-2012, 07:51 PM   #9
Ensign

Home Port: Maine
Default ICW Anchorages

Hi CaptDinghy!

Thanks for your nice comments on my intro thread. I just noticed this thread, and thought I would pass along this link:

http://cblights.com/cruising/Signifi...CW-Bahamas.pdf

I read it a few months ago, and Mr. Jenkins gives very good notes on their anchorages along the way - including positions fixes. Hope it helps!

-Flying O
Old 08-21-2012, 02:41 AM   #10
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptDinghy View Post
About this time in 2013, my wife and I are planning to sail from Maine to Florida and beyond. Mostly ICW on the way down.

The outline of our current plan is in development. Right now we plan to overnight at anchor or moorings 4-5 days and in a marina 1-2per week to re-provision and get a hot shower (no shower aboard our Sabre 28). Work our way down to Beaufort and then beyond over the winter of 2013-14.

As a broad question, is there ONE resource that can provide a list of decent anchorages and marinas for the East Coast?

Also - we have to acquire a tender. With limited space on our foredeck, is it practical to think we can tow it for the entire cruise? Should we look at davits? Expect it will be a sailing/rowing dinghy - don't want the added maintenance of an outboard. Maybe a Portland Pudgy as it is not too long - though not that pretty to look at and I have not tried to row one so a test drive is needed.

Hoping to do as much on the Pardy - shoestring model as we can since we don't have tons of cash in the bank and we are planning to keep our house (and its mortgage).

I guess this is a lot more than 1 question . . .
Gooday U-2 - the 'cabin-boy & the Real Captain-person, he he (I'd guess at this point you'll have figured out who is "taken-the-mickey out of you"). Did you get a Mark 1 - 28' or a Mark 2 - 28.5' - just for interests sake ??? Well done to you both - I'm so pleased for you both.

In another 'forum' that has something to do with my loves (multihulls) there are lots of comments about the Inland-water-way - suggest you drop in there & ask some questions - there seems to ba a good guide to the whole 'inland system' but I can't remember what they said to get - your move.

Question 1 part B - section i - sub-section a-i - he he - DO NOT TOW DINGHY FOR LONG DISTANCES - under any circumstances - not a good idea - lots of pain - little gain & all errors are very expensive. After the 3rd one you've - backed-up-over - - got the painter wrapped around the drive-shaft & drifted aground on the rocks (murphy said - ther will be rocks) & at least 10 other miss-fortunes - that you'll get to know all about - start - with DON'T & save the time for 'sundowners' (with jim & a bbq) - Much more enjoyable, me thinks.

I'd have thought - on e-bay or Craig-list - ou should have been able to buy a 'rubber-duckie' (a top quality inflatable) as new or in as-new condition at a fair price. Inflatables are 100% more user friendly than hard dinghys - saves $100/year in fixing scratches in the 'mother-ships' topsides, less mangled fingers - etc etc. Just buy some cheap plastic to keep it covered - AT ALL TIMES. Your lovely new 'bi-sex mistress really can't afford the weight - hung off the back from 'davids'. A 'Pudgy' weighs to much ! ! Try & store an 'inflateable' on the fore-deck or just behind the mast.

Some options; K79 Inflatable Kayak weight - 11kgs (25 lbs) - $295.00
'Pudgy' weight - 128 lbs - $2600.00
Mercury Inflatables - check your local suppliers - to far from here.

With your lovely 'bi-sex mistress' Sabre 28' - keep all the weight that you possibly can - out of the ends (that's all in Caps as well).

'Pardy' model; 1/ stay out of marinas 2/ sail not motor (when possible) 3/ 2nd street back & local produce - if/when you can. 4/ talk to locals before buying anything 5/ be consevative in/with everything except enjoyment, sailing & smiling (& being extra nice to eachother)

Gosh - I'm so pleased for you two. Fair winds & - 'live your dreams to the fullest' Ciao, james
Old 08-21-2012, 04:21 AM   #11
Admiral

If you open the search field at the top of the page and search the forums here for 'Dinghy', you will be rewarded with a good lot of information regarding types, stowage, towing etc.

I am by no means an expert on the subject; indeed I am going through the process of trying to find the best dinghy compromise for ocean crossing given that a dinghy should not be stowed on deck during an offshore passage; and I am unsure of which style to buy.

I do have some concerns. Towing a dinghy capable of holding a ton of water behind a boat which displaces less than four tons (Sabre 28) in anything other than flat calm conditions is a gamble.

In a following sea it is downright dangerous and has the potential to cause a tragedy. For example it can board over the stern, if filled with water it can rip out your transom or tear off your deck fittings. It is in effect a sea anchor and will slow your progress despite conditions. If you need to reverse, even using a floating paynter, you can end up with the paynter around your prop. The first you may know of this is when the dinghy slams into the stern quarter as it is being dragged underwater. If this happens when you are reversing, you are already in a tight spot which will now get immeasurably worse.

Sevylor kayaks. Good calm water recreational craft. Ideal for use in a swimming pool, or on a lake, or possibly in a sheltered bay where there are neither snags nor large ripples. There is only one area when afloat, where you simply cannot compromise..safety. Getting off a big boat into a small boat increases the risk. Make sure your small boat is up to the task.

Google 'Towing a Dinghy'. There will be many responses which tell you how to do it and at the same time mitigating some of the danger. But most sites will issue warnings about the inevitable danger in anything but mild to moderate conditions.

Again, I'm not an expert, but I have to respectfully disagree with an earlier poster about towing a dinghy in wind up to 20 knots. In 20 knots, in a smallish yacht, a dinghy astern is not a safe prospect under any circumstance. Then, if the 20kts suddenly increases, you can't retrieve the dinghy and your only option is to cut the paynter, and dump the dinghy, with the certain knowledge that you are cutting loose a substantial part of your cruising kitty.

Meanwhle I am still hoping to hear from anyone with experience of a roll-up inflatable with slatted floor. If anyone can offer their thoughts, I will be truly appreciative.
Cheers All.

Old 08-21-2012, 09:11 AM   #12
Ensign

Home Port: Bristol
Default I agree

Just reiterating what others have said that from my experience towing great on a flat day but troublesome in a chop.

I have experience of the iwc in northern Florida/ S Georgia where we were caught in a tropical storm that inflicted a good deal of damage so it's no boating lake!

Also done Chesapeake to Long Island via the Delaware and there are some good stretches where you have to go out into the big sea, notably Cape St May to New York and in a 50 footer that took nearly 2 days.

Also worth saying there ain't much sailing to be done on some sections of the iwc in fact get further south and it's full of motor cruisers (all towing dingies) who don't appear to understand the rules of the road.

Saying all that I loved it especially the Bourbon, we seemed to find a local brew in every port some that didnot appear too legal!
Old 08-21-2012, 11:58 AM   #13
Lieutenant

Sun shower and roll-up - noted and appreciated! Will start shopping around. I missed a good roll up at a local auction earlier - but I know there are plenty around.
Old 08-21-2012, 12:02 PM   #14
Lieutenant

Silver Raven -Did you get a Mark 1 - 28' or a Mark 2 - 28.5' - just for interests sake ??? -

It is a Mark 2. Named Surprise - for now. But we may use the Vigor ritual for renaming before we set sail. Her original name was Sparrow. "Bi-Sex?"
Old 08-21-2012, 12:07 PM   #15
Lieutenant

Also done Chesapeake to Long Island via the Delaware and there are some good stretches where you have to go out into the big sea, notably Cape St May to New York and in a 50 footer that took nearly 2 days.

Saying all that I loved it especially the Bourbon, we seemed to find a local brew in every port some that didnot appear too legal![/QUOTE]

I did a slog of a sail on the Chesapeake with some friends who chartered in Island Packet in August a couple years ago. We burned some fossil fuel that week.

Since my post I found Home in addition to some of the links shared above. Plenty of resources to research before we leave.

Revising the budget every week - adjusting for the life we are leaving behind and the blue trail ahead.
Old 08-21-2012, 12:12 PM   #16
Admiral

"Saying all that I loved it especially the Bourbon, we seemed to find a local brew in every port some that didnot appear too legal!"

And therein lies the essence of the cruising spirit.
Good on yer, mate!

Old 08-21-2012, 03:03 PM   #17
Ensign

Home Port: Bristol
Default Agreed

Annapolis to Chesapeake City was an awful passage for us gale force winds on the nose and very heavy sea state and tricky channel with bis barges around the corner, thank goodness we had full AIS and knew what was coming a few hairy moments avoiding the big ones in the narrows! Saying that the bargees were great and called us up telling us where and when to pass.
Old 08-21-2012, 03:06 PM   #18
Lieutenant

That must have been hairy - skinny waters and not a lot of room to play with those big boats.
Noted: GPS chartplotter with AIS enabled. CHECK!
Old 08-31-2012, 09:23 AM   #19
Lieutenant

Home Port: Cheyenne, WY
Vessel Name: CAREFREE
Send a message via Skype™ to gts1544

Reference inflatable dinghys! The #1 enemy of the inflatable is sun, so either look for a more recent model that meets your need or be able to verify that the older model that seems a good bargain has been stored under adequate cover. Once the decision is made, I strongly recommend a dinghy cover, either a full storage cover or perhaps more useful, a tube cover that allows usage while covered. Best of luck!
Old 08-31-2012, 11:31 AM   #20
Lieutenant

Great tip - thank you!

Also - with regards to navigation websites, a friend pointed me to activecaptain.com which appears to be an excellent resource. The laptop (pc) version is free and I played with it before buying the app for my iPad ($24.95). I will be playing with this during a short (8 day) local trip this week.

Tags
advice, dinghy, dream, east coast