Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > The Bosun's Locker > Engines | Propulsion | Generators
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 08-06-2009, 12:04 PM   #1
Admiral

I admit this is not my area of expertise (or even barely competent), but a friend is claiming that he needs to replace the engine mounts on his seven-year-old sailing catamaran. *That doesn't sound right at all.

Enlighten me, please, and I have a new story to amuse (well, perhaps dismay) you all.

J

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 12:28 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to delatbabel

Construction materials (mounts and engine bay)?

I'm reliably informed by past owners of my 1982 built Vanguard (steel hulled Dutch built boat) that the engine mounts are original.

Old 08-06-2009, 04:23 PM   #3

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

It really depends on the type of mounts and materials used. Some are simple "hard" mounts made of steel and rubber and they last what seems like forever before the rubber starts deteriorating. Others can be soft mounts meant to totally isolate the vibration and those are best replaced with some frequency depending on engine use. Then there are "filled" mounts which have a hydraulic fluid inside the mount to dampen things. They rarely last very long if in rough service. I haven't seen them on boats, but there's no reason for me to think they aren't out there as I've used them in industrial settings and they come on some cars.

What's the story???

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 08:24 PM   #4
Admiral

Peter was helping a friend bring his boat from Georgetown, Great Exuma Island, up to Nassau for work, then bring it back down to Georgetown after the work was done.

We're not members of the Temperance Union, but we have a "no drinking while underway" rule, and with just Peter and this friend, no drinking while underway was important. *The boat, a sailing catamaran, is unfamiliar to Peter, and it's easy to get into trouble in the reef-strewn and shallow Bahamas so one needs all their wits about them. *He told our friend, after watching him down 11 beers in 3 hours the first night on the boat, that he did not want him drinking while they were underway. *Friend said he understood. *Next day, on their way to Nassau, and pushing the envelope to get into their preferred anchorage before sunset, Peter thought that our friend smelled like a stale bar, so he asked him what he was drinking. *"Diet Coke" he said. *Later, Peter took a sip this this Coke, and gagged on the glass of rum with a splash of Coke. *So now our friend is lying to him. *That does not portend a great trip.

The silliness/foolishness/dumbness in Nassau is another narrative.

On the way back from Nassau, with a clew on the headsail so rotten that Peter was afraid to fly it (he couldn't figure out how to take the sail completely down if the clew exploded, and our friend hadn't a clue how to do it ), they had to motor into 20-25 knot winds on the nose. *Friend wanted to go outside (25 years of sailing and he still hasn't learned how to take advantage of the lee of the island chains), and it was hard and messy going. *They took one big wave over the boat that drenched and knocked out the chart plotter. *Peter asked "do you have a backup hand-held GPS?" *and "where are the dividers?" *First question was answered "I think so" and he went looking for it. *Brought it up, but it hadn't been used in who knows- maybe never - and didn't have batteries in it. *Peter asked if there were batteries, but our friend was too shaky to put them in. *Peter finally got them in, but the GPS didn't work. *Of course, there were also no dividers to easily take lat/long off the charts, and no way to navigate except by eyeball, so now Peter was getting worried.

Turns out our friend navigates by: *looking up a list of routes prepared by his wife, and then punching in the route to follow the waypoints that his wife has entered into the chartplotter, and following it religiously. *He does not know lat/long. *He has not learned how to navigate, enter anything into the GPS, doesn't know how to read a chart or navigate by one. *He couldn't recognize any of the islands as they were motoring, and had no idea how to get into Georgetown. *

Peter and I haven't been to Georgetown since 1986, so he had no confidence that he could navigate to Great Exuma and get in. *Finding the right pass to go outside was another worry. *Wrong pass and the islanders have another mast pulled off a sunken boat to add to their street light poles. *Oh, dear, said I as he told me this. *Of course, not trusting his friend to be sober enough to steer the boat, Peter had allowed himself to rely on the chartplotter, with no position logs as they had been motoring.

Since Peter was back, safely, and our friend was still talking to him, meant that they found a way to get back safely. *So how, I asked, did you make it back?

"Oh, we got the chartplotter cleaned and dried out, and it just started working again."

"NO-O-O-O! *Is that the only lesson learned?" said I.

"Yes. *That's the last time I sail with him. *But we should go to Georgetown next winter, Jeanne. *I think we'd enjoy it."*

I wish we had a cross-eyed emoticon, because that's the expression I had after the last comment.

SY WATERMELON |

Old 08-06-2009, 09:39 PM   #5

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

We do have this one:

Close enough?

I am constantly amazed when folks tell stories like this one. There are LOTS of commonalities in your story--first, there are far too many heavy drinkers out there; second, way too many people don't use traditional DR, paper charts, etc; third--there are also way too many people who don't maintain their vessel (get a clue about the clew!) and don't feel bad about it either; finally--folks choose routes that are inappropriate and make no sense to their purpose all the time.

OMG, I'm so glad that we're such recluses that we don't usually sail with other folks! We save ourselves such headaches. Bless Peter for being a good friend to his friend.

Take care,

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 04:05 AM   #6
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanneP View Post
I admit this is not my area of expertise (or even barely competent), but a friend is claiming that he needs to replace the engine mounts on his seven-year-old sailing catamaran. *That doesn't sound right at all.

Enlighten me, please, and I have a new story to amuse (well, perhaps dismay) you all.

J
The Story is a horror story. Strangely enough I have a very good friend who had a trimaran (it sank on it's mooring - due to lack of care) He also was/is a serial beer drinker of note.

Irrespective of the rest of the condition of your friend's 7yr old Catamaran. The need to replace the mountings, as Redbopeep suggests "it depends" on many factors, including :- they were the wrong type, size etc in the 1st. place.

Here is evidence as to what might appear to be an urgent need to replace mountings :-

Click image for larger version

Name:	Engine_Mount_before_clea.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	1042

Here is evidence that the above mounting did not need replacing (the one on the right after cleanup)

Click image for larger version

Name:	Eng_Mount_Clean.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	1043

A point of reference as to the authenticity of the photos : note the white paint on the left hand side of each of the mounts.
Old 08-10-2009, 12:39 PM   #7
Ensign

Jeanne

He should have made him walk the plank.

Good for Peter that he still calls him a friend.

This is a good case for always making sure your prepared yourself. Packing your own GPS and nav tools and making sure you know how to use them is a good idea unless you have 100% confidence in your fellow sailor.

My husband and I have good friends that we traveled with last year. Them on their boat and us on ours. We did some extremely difficult sailing/navigating. She was great! Far better than us. This made me decide to start taking some courses myself.

I went out with them and a bunch of their non-sailing friends last weekend for a long day sail. Before we left I asked if they needed anything off my boat in the slip next to theirs. They said no, they have everything. When I asked further they didn't have enough life jackets for everyone aboard or a GPS. I'm glad I took these. A gale blew up and it was a rough ride home.
Old 08-10-2009, 01:54 PM   #8
Admiral

Nancy,

You're right about taking our own GPS; Peter has always done so in the past, but this was an unexpected trip with our hand-held unavailable.

Our delivery skipper friends always bring their own life jackets, foul weather gear, and navigation gear. *One even brings his own liferaft! *Some of the stories they tell me about the boats they've delivered frighten me. *Our bravest skipper has me in a state of near-constant anxiety when he's on a delivery. *

I just posted a reply to the question, "should I call for help", and I am convinced that the more one knows the safer an offshore passage becomes for everyone on board. *Some people, though, just 'do not know what they do not know.' *One of the reasons Peter and I have always played "what if" thought exercises as we travel, to extend what we know or need to know.

SY WATERMELON |

Old 08-15-2009, 09:07 PM   #9
Commander

Home Port: Edinburgh
Send a message via Yahoo to chiroeurope Send a message via Skype™ to chiroeurope

My wife and I do this on land let alone when we go to sea. She is already trying to get a good grip of Grib files and how to know when they are lying by usin more than one source. I have a Doctorate and believe me, I know very well how much i don't know. Stil love learning though and at 42 that is extremely useful.