Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > The Bosun's Locker > Engines | Propulsion | Generators
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 12-08-2010, 03:08 AM   #1
Commander

Send a message via MSN to Qldcruiser

Hi All

Went out for a little heavy weather sailing recently and stirred up a mud monster in fuel tank. Destroyed a couple of filters before she settled down. This got me to thinking as I NEVER want to repeat a filter change and bleed in rough conditions again.

Filter Boss seems to be the sort of system I want to avoid the situation I had, but being a cheap buggar, I really dont want to pay that sort of price (please read, Annette near choked when she saw the price). What other options are there out there that you guys no of or does someone like Trim have a schematic for making a duel filter system that I can purloin to make myself.

Cheers

Rob & Annette

S/V Blue Lady

Old 12-08-2010, 05:04 AM   #2
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qldcruiser View Post

Hi All

Filter Boss seems to be the sort of system I want to avoid the situation I had, What other options are there out there that you guys no of or does someone like Trim have a schematic for making a duel filter system that I can purloin to make myself.

Cheers

Rob & Annette

S/V Blue Lady
Hi Guys,

Here are a couple of schematics put together for friend in Queensland.

Also a picture of a 12v pump I picked up in an autoparts shop for around $15 US

Click image for larger version

Name:	FuelSystem3.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	1613

Name:	FuelSystem2.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	23.2 KB
ID:	1612

Name:	12volt pump.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	1611

Hope the above will give you some ideas for your tank system.

Richard

Old 12-08-2010, 12:06 PM   #3
Admiral

I think that the problem with your fuel right now is more than a fuel polishing system can handle well.

You need to clean your tank completely before putting clean fuel in it and running it through a fuel polishing system. I've described our cleaning efforts several times on Cruiser Log, most recently HERE

Diesel has a definite shelf life, and when it sits in a humid environment for a year or more, it degrades, algae starts growing, and you get a disgusting mixture of water and dead and decaying vegetable matter. You can use up a lot of filters removing it all, and filters are not cheap. Better to remove the fuel, siphon off what is salvageable, clean the tank well to remove all the living algae and bacteria, and then consider a fuel polishing system. If your tank isn't clean first, you will just use a lot of filters cleaning bad diesel.

For those landlubbers who say that in the army they never, in 20 years, ever had a problem with dirty fuel, all I can say is that the fuel probably never stayed in the fuel tank for more than a few days before being used and clean fresh fuel replaced it. Our biggest problem was that we believed in sailing, and just didn't turn over the diesel in our tank enough to keep nasties from growing in it.

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 05:18 PM   #4
Commander

Home Port: Edinburgh
Send a message via Yahoo to chiroeurope Send a message via Skype™ to chiroeurope

If there is large junk in the tank, clean it. than the filters will work fine. Also remember to make sure your draw tube is from the lowest portion of the tank (this keeps the fuel moving when you do run the engine, for battery charge or engine health).

Jeanne, We had vehicles sit for over 90 days at a time when they where not in use and might (as in if the PMCS was able to get done) get run for 10 to 15 minutes once a month; most likely not. Now I do know that military fuel is treated and that does make a big difference in lifespan and problems with growth.

Right now high and wet (lots of snow and getting very cold) as no one but mad folks are going out on the water here in Scotland in the current weather. Tonight it is supposed to get to -18C.

Well take care and back to work.

Michael