Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > The Bosun's Locker > Engines | Propulsion | Generators
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 04-20-2010, 04:53 PM   #1
Ensign

Hi !

The man who takes care of my Bavaria 37 in Turkey insists for changing the "mounting plate" (sic) of my Volvo MD 2030 saildrive.

Boat and engine are from year 2001 (17 000 Nauticaul Milles - 1 200 hours)

Sorry for my english . With the term "mounting plate" i mean the the big round seal that makes the watertightness between the engine (inside) and the sail drive (outside).

My questions are : how long is it possible not to change it ?

What would be the normal price for this kind of work (pieces included). My boat is on land for a few days...

Thanks.

Old 04-20-2010, 11:12 PM   #2
Admiral

I am no expert at engines, but you might find a lot of the information you need HERE

If you have your owner's manual for the sail drive, I understand that it recommends replacing the seal after 7 years. In the US the price for the parts will be about $500.00

As an aside, Volvo marine engines are notorious for the high cost of replacement parts for a rather inexpensive engine.

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 11:15 PM   #3
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques' date='20 April 2010 - 11:53 PM View Post

Hi !

The man who takes care of my Bavaria 37 in Turkey insists for changing the "mounting plate" (sic) of my Volvo MD 2030 saildrive.

Boat and engine are from year 2001 (17 000 Nauticaul Milles - 1 200 hours)

Sorry for my english . With the term "mounting plate" i mean the the big round seal that makes the watertightness between the engine (inside) and the sail drive (outside).

My questions are : how long is it possible not to change it ?

What would be the normal price for this kind of work (pieces included). My boat is on land for a few days...

Thanks.

Hello Jacques,

Not sure if you mean only the Rubber ring or the Metal ring OR both that need changing.

Volvo parts are known for being extra expensive - as far as the labour cost is concerned as the boat is out of the water, one should be able to complete the job in 2 hours.

You might ask for photos showing the reason for wanting to change the parts.
Old 11-22-2013, 12:52 AM   #4
Ensign

Home Port: coos bay
Default volvo

from what I have read the snail drive is prone to corrosion and very very expensive. Haven't heard any bad things about the engines though, has anyone?