Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > The Bosun's Locker > Engines | Propulsion | Generators
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 08-12-2017, 12:57 PM   #1
Ensign

Home Port: Breskens
Vessel Name: Carpe Diem
Default Smokey Vovo Penta 2003T

Have tried various ways over the years, to cure a smokey (black) VP 2003T : including new injectors, servicing the turbo, and cleaning the air intake filter - all to no avail. Recently leafing through an old VP handbook I came across detail drawings of the Control Mechanism for the Injector pumps. This shows a; "smoke limiter, which maximises the fuel volume to suit turbo boost pressure.""

Anybody know whether this 'smoke limiter' is fitted to all 2003T engines (mine is circa 1988). Has anyone else tried this cure, and is it difficult to do with the engine in place?

Old 08-12-2017, 03:02 PM   #2
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

This may be of no use whatsoever. I had an ancient Volvo in a 45' Adams which I sold years ago. It was a great engine and, true to the old dictum of 'one horsepower per foot, it was, I think, 43 hp. , and, it was sufficient.

I would fire it up, and like a good friend with a bad habit, it would start to smoke. I would accept this as merely a Volvo foible when the smoke was light-black in colour...and I would change the filter whenever it started to look like a wet season sky..ie black-black.

In all the years I had the boat, I wished it wouldn't smoke, mainly because I would be a little embarrassed in marinas. But, when the inevitable occurred and someone made comment, I got used to saying "....but it is a Volvo". This would be met with knowing looks, nods of the head and an invitation to share a beer or a coffee.

It seems that older Volvo marine plants are genetically predisposed to smoking. In defence of Volvos, it never let me down: and I bought five new Volvo motor cars in a row between 1980 and 2004.

I hope your engine is just being an old Volvo and I sincerely hope it won't let you down. As for the smoke limiter, I feel a little sceptical. But who knows? Let us know if you decide to install one and whether it then is a success.

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 10:35 PM   #3
Ensign

Home Port: Breskens
Vessel Name: Carpe Diem
Default Smokey Volvo Penta 2003T

Thanks for the thoughts Auzee; my engine has never (touch wood) 'let me down', but as you say it is more than a little embarassing in marinas.

Mark you your point; "....but it is a Volvo, would be met with knowing looks, nods of the head and an invitation to share a beer or a coffee" I would treat with caution. Last time I shared a beer (well actually several beers) with an Aussie moored next to us, I ended up unknowingly subscribing to the "Shag Island Cruising Yacht Club"

Still at least I got a 'Shaggers' polo shirt for my subscription!
Old 08-14-2017, 11:35 PM   #4
Commander

Home Port: Royston

I once saw a bumper sticker which said
"Any parts found falling off my Volvo are of the finest Swedish craftsmanship."
Old 08-19-2017, 06:59 PM   #5
Lieutenant

Home Port: Cape Town

If you use biocide in your fuel, expect a smokey day. If not, it is a Volvo!