Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > The Bosun's Locker > Engines | Propulsion | Generators
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 05-26-2010, 11:00 PM   #1
Ensign

I am thinking of buying a yacht second hand - it has a yanmar 2gm20 raw water cooled engine - it is from about 1995 and has only 750 hours one the engine.

The motor services have been done by the owner - and I am wondering what I should be worried about or looking out for in a 15 year old engine that has been run only 50 hours a year?

Thanks,

Dave

Old 05-26-2010, 11:29 PM   #2
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyd' date='27 May 2010 - 06:00 AM View Post

I am thinking of buying a yacht second hand - it has a yanmar 2gm20 raw water cooled engine - it is from about 1995 and has only 750 hours on the engine.

The motor services have been done by the owner - and I am wondering what I should be worried about or looking out for in a 15 year old engine that has been run only 50 hours a year?

Thanks,

Dave
Hello Dave,

Without seeing the engine and seeing and hearing it run, a little hard to diagnose possible faults. However, because it uses sea water to cool the engine block. A diesel technician would want to look into the cooling system. Certainly to check the Raw water seacock and strainer. The impeller in the raw water pump may need replacing (if it has not been replaced recently)

Next, does the engine start easily? Are there any signs of oil leaks ? Check the bilges ?

Check for rust. Pull the dip stick, check the colour and condition of the oil.

When the engine is running and up to running temperature, look at the exhaust for the colour of smoke (if any) and the amount of cooling water.

Ask the owner if he logged the servicing of the engine, if he did, ask to see it and note frequency and what was done each time.

Old 05-28-2010, 12:42 AM   #3
Boomerang!

Home Port: Oxford, MD
Vessel Name: Boomerang!

Like MMSea says, do the things he recommends, as a surveyor, or we would.....but frankly, the Yanmar 2GM20 is a pretty bullet proof engine. In all probability you should be fine.

If the things he points out look good, and you have other questions or want a second opinion, a good (being the operative) engine survey may let you know of any real issues....but I'd be surprised if there are any....unless the owner is being disingenuous.....

C

S/V Boomerang!

1980 Cal 39 Mark II

St Michaels, MD
Boomerang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 07:23 AM   #4
Ensign

I have asked the dealer for more details about when the services where done, as his reply to my question about service records was the maintenance was done by the owner.

The photos attached are from the dealer - and show an engine and 'plumbing' - but do not inform me much...

For various reasons, like the boat is at least 10 hours away and the dealer can only show Saturday mornings and 3+ day weekends are hard to organise, I will have to wait till later in June to actually see and hear the boat.

I am getting nervous since the investment in seeing the boat is large and would like to get the most out of it.

Is there a good book that I should read in the meantime?

Dave
Old 05-28-2010, 09:19 AM   #5
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyd' date='28 May 2010 - 02:23 PM View Post

I have asked the dealer for more details about when the services where done, as his reply to my question about service records was the maintenance was done by the owner.

The photos attached are from the dealer - and show an engine and 'plumbing' - but do not inform me much...

For various reasons, like the boat is at least 10 hours away and the dealer can only show Saturday mornings and 3+ day weekends are hard to organise, I will have to wait till later in June to actually see and hear the boat.

I am getting nervous since the investment in seeing the boat is large and would like to get the most out of it.

Is there a good book that I should read in the meantime?

Dave
There are 2 books I would recommend :-

Peter Compton's "Trouble Shooting Marine Diesels"

and

Nigel Calder's "Marine Diesel Engines"

-----------------

However, I suggest that no amount of reading will compare to a visual and 'hands-on'

check of the engine in question. The best investment would be to contact an independent diesel mechanic/technician and contract him to check out the engine and provide you with a written report containing his findings and recommendations. It would be inadvisable to rely on what information the dealer is providing, (he may only be interested in selling the boat so that he can collect his commission, he represents the seller not the buyer)

BTW - did you attach photos??

---------------------------------------------

If you PM me with your email address (not Hotmail or Yahoo) I will send you the service manual for the engine
Old 05-28-2010, 05:44 PM   #6
Ensign

Second attempt to add files .

Dave
Attached Thumbnails
yanmar-1.jpg   yanmar-2.jpg  
Old 05-29-2010, 10:12 PM   #7

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

When we bought our boat in the fall of 2006, it came with a "brand new" engine still on the crate/skid from Cummins. The build date on the engine was 1991. It was sold to the previous owner of our boat in 1996. It had never been used. We figured anything rubber was suspect--so replaced hoses, impellers, ran through the freshwater and raw water cooling systems/heat exchangers to make sure they were clear. There was sludge from the antifreeze (includes rust converters in the antifreeze that turns to sludge, btw) that we had to get cleared out. Hubby tore apart the Hurth transmission and replaced all the seals (advice from Hurth/ZF marine). We started up the engine in the boatshed before putting it in the boat. Started instantly. We installed the engine in 2008, relaunched the boat a year ago and it now has about 150 hours on it. So far, so good. You'll likely find a similar situation with your engine. The cooling water galleys could have issues, but that would be all that you'd maybe worry about which you couldn't see/replace.

Is the dealer reputable? Will they warranty any thing? Good luck

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote