Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > The Bosun's Locker > Engines | Propulsion | Generators
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 07-22-2010, 04:57 AM   #1
Commander

My mechanic and I are at our wits end with this engine- it just won't run!

I want to do a compression test, but due to the way the injectors bolt down, I have not been able to find a tester or adapter that will work with this engine. Has anyone gone through this before and know how to handle it?

Otherwise, I know what my next mooring will be made of!

Old 07-22-2010, 09:51 AM   #2
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seafarer' date='22 July 2010 - 11:51 AM View Post

My mechanic and I are at our wits end with this engine- it just won't run!

I want to do a compression test, but due to the way the injectors bolt down, I have not been able to find a tester or adapter that will work with this engine. Has anyone gone through this before and know how to handle it?

Otherwise, I know what my next mooring will be made of!
Hi Seafarer, before we look at compression - give us a little more information regarding " this engine- it just won't run! "

Does this mean that it starts alright but runs badly ?

It starts but cannot achieve rated RPM in Gear ?

or

It will not start?

How many hours ? How old ?

How old is the fuel in the tanks - Filters - pumps etc ?

Richard

Old 07-22-2010, 04:25 PM   #3
Commander

I'm not sure how old the engine is, but it won't start at all. It last ran late in 2008, when the Previous Owner bought it and moved it to the marina where I found it a year later. As it had been sitting for a while before he bought it, he used a jerry can of fresh fuel for the move. At the marina, he had the fuel polished and added anti-algal to it. Then he began removing the injectors to clean out the fuel lines, and his problems began. He stripped a mounting stud and broke a bridge, and otherwise got into problems that he was not familiar with. I bought the boat in early 2009 and fixed the injector mounting issues, bled the fuel system, and have not been able to get it to start ever since. The only thing I haven't done is shoot ether into it.
Old 07-22-2010, 11:41 PM   #4
Ensign

Seafarer, sometimes when a diesel loses its prime thay are a real pain to start, make sure your getting fuel to the injectors, crack the lines loose and crank it over to see if you got fuel, try the lift pump its the little pump on the side of the block with a little leaver on it, if it feels like theres nothing there when you pump it bump the engine over to get it off the cam lobe, is the fuel pump in time? does it smoke at all when you crank it?

See if it will start on some WD-40 its way easyer on engines than either, try that and see what happends.

Good luck.

Sail on,

Caljoe

Caljoe

caljoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 12:12 AM   #5
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seafarer' date='22 July 2010 - 11:19 PM View Post

I'm not sure how old the engine is, but it won't start at all. It last ran late in 2008, when the Previous Owner bought it and moved it to the marina where I found it a year later. As it had been sitting for a while before he bought it, he used a jerry can of fresh fuel for the move. At the marina, he had the fuel polished and added anti-algal to it. Then he began removing the injectors to clean out the fuel lines, and his problems began. He stripped a mounting stud and broke a bridge, and otherwise got into problems that he was not familiar with. I bought the boat in early 2009 and fixed the injector mounting issues, bled the fuel system, and have not been able to get it to start ever since. The only thing I haven't done is shoot ether into it.
From the description it is probable that the fuel in the tank/s is contaminated and has a layer of sludge lying at the bottom. (Despite the tank fuel being polished and an algaecide added) If the tank/s were not cleaned thoroughly and clean new fuel added plus a bacteriacide then that old fuel will be a constant source of problems IE.. blocking the filters even before it gets to the injectors.

So, suggest find out if

#1 you can access the bottom of the tank/s via inspection plates.

#2 pump out the fuel into jerry cans and remove to a recognized disposal point.

#3 clean out the tanks and all fuel lines to filters.

#4 New filters.

#5 fill tank with no more than 10 gallons of new diesel.

#6 Remove injectors, take to Injector service shop for checking and service.

#7 Replace injectors (new copper crush washers if previously fitted)

#8 Bleed air out of the low pressure and high pressure systems

#9 Make sure engine start battery is full charged.

#10 Check that the Raw water pump impeller is in good condition

#11 Start engine - check exhaust for water flow and smoke colour.

#12 Check Oil pressure

#13 Run the engine until she is up to normal temperature - then engage gear at the dock and see how she performs at varied RPM.
Old 07-27-2010, 02:46 PM   #6
Commander

I pulled the fuel hose and put it in a 5 gallon jerry can of clean diesel.

I already bled the fuel system- to the point of pulling an injector and cranking the engine to watch it spray.

2 big starting batteries are topped up by two big solar panels and the FL sun.

All I asked is what tools do I need for a compression test! Specifically, where do I get an adapter that bolts down in the injector seat.
Old 07-27-2010, 11:41 PM   #7
Ensign

Alright alright take it easy heres the info...

Amazon.com, Diesel compression tester good to 1000 psi. $58.95, there is also a assortment of adapters.

There in the S&G tool aid section.... Good luck, and let me know what you found when you do get it running.

Heres another, Global diesel set test W/ adapters $119.99 same place.

Caljoe

Old 07-28-2010, 12:20 AM   #8
Commander

Has anyone here actually done this before?

The test sets mentioned by CalJoe don't have the correct adapter for my engine. If they mention Perkins at all, they start at the 4.203 and only go up.
Old 07-29-2010, 08:20 AM   #9
Commander

Home Port: Edinburgh
Send a message via Yahoo to chiroeurope Send a message via Skype™ to chiroeurope

I will contact my father in law who has worked on about every type of diesel engine there is as to which adapter would work on it. If he doesn't know he most likely knows some one who does. Compression kits for diesels are a pain as each makers tends to be just a bit different and many of them change just enough to be unusable with a different model from the same maker, but you know this already. Will get back to you once I have heard from him.

Michael
Old 07-29-2010, 05:24 PM   #10
Ensign

Diesel Compression Test Adapter Perkins 4.108

Code: STR-TU-15-40

Diesel Compression Test Adapter Perkins 4.108 No. STR-TU-15-40 Diesel Compression Test Adapter Perkins 4.108 5/8” Threaded Glow Plug - Diesel... Quantity: Regular Price: [s]$34.88[/s]

Sale Price: $29.07

Caljoe

Old 07-31-2010, 08:39 PM   #11
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by caljoe' date='29 July 2010 - 05:18 PM View Post

Diesel Compression Test Adapter Perkins 4.108

Code: STR-TU-15-40

Diesel Compression Test Adapter Perkins 4.108 No. STR-TU-15-40 Diesel Compression Test Adapter Perkins 4.108 5/8” Threaded Glow Plug - Diesel... Quantity: Regular Price: [s]$34.88[/s]

Sale Price: $29.07
I've seen that all over the place. It's useless because the 4.108 doesn't have glowplugs...
Old 12-01-2010, 01:04 AM   #12
Commander

It turns out that you have to buy an adapter for an adapter to pressure test these engines.

After even more bleeding we finally got it running, and it runs great! Now I need to replace all the hoses and filters and water separators, etc.
Old 03-30-2012, 02:51 PM   #13
Ensign

Home Port: Detroit
Default 4.108 adapter

I have read your questions and responses. I am also looking for the special adapter for doing a proper compression test on a perkins 4.108. Do you remember where you got the adapter? Part #?
Old 10-10-2012, 12:23 AM   #14
Ensign

Home Port: kooskia

did you find an adapter for the perkins 4.108 ? where if so? thanks anthem12
Old 10-27-2012, 04:03 PM   #15
Ensign

Home Port: Lake City Fl

If I may add some light to your problem, Perkins is a wholly owned subsidiary of Caterpillar corporation. This is not a widely known fact due to the huge following by Perkins owners. In the trade (retd diesel tech 30 yrs) they are known as Perkapillars. You can get any info at a Cat dealership. If you have an old bad injector, one of these can be "gutted" with new crush washer to make an adapter.