Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > The Bosun's Locker > Power & Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 06-01-2012, 08:51 PM   #1
Ensign

Home Port: New Iberia
Default 12 vdc 30 amp Power Supply question

I have a ICOM M710 SSB Transceiver and want to use a power supply with 120 vac input and 13.8 vdc output. The radio spec calls for 30 amps but not sure if this is continuious or not. I've seen power supplies that claim 25 amp continuious and 30 amp SURGE...but I think I need 30 amp continuious. Any thoughts?
John

Old 06-01-2012, 11:32 PM   #2

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

So, it depends on how fast you talk--quick or intermittent....

OK...seriously, I wouldn't provide the minimum required. However, you'd probably assume that you're needing 30 amps on transmission. Therefore, provide at least 30 continuous. Just my opinion.

Good Luck.

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 11:42 PM   #3
Commander

Home Port: St. Augustine FL
Vessel Name: Linnupesa

Technically you'd need to be sending a continuous "key down" RF carrier to be in "continuous duty" mode. So for voice SSB you'll be fine, as modulation peaks are nowhere near continuous. But won't you be receiving primarily?

Some speech compression modes, FSK/FM etc. might use a bit more power but a nominal 30A should handle it. It does come down to specmanship which is kinda like politics. Believe only half of what you read, yeah, this too! Best to ask someone with a similar supply, as it could be both over or under-rated and they could tell you. Quite often the deal is X watts out for 5 min. (meeting the claim) but thereafter you can fry omelettes on the supply, at least until it dies.

Shouldn't you be wired directly into your batteries though? Run a big charger to replenish them. It's much cheaper than a DC-PSU and will give better regulation too. Do use the heaviest and shortest DC leads practical and pay special attention to make good low resistance connections. Soldering them helps.

Good luck.

Ivo aka KI6S and previously ZS1DD
Old 06-02-2012, 02:54 AM   #4
Capt'n

Home Port: Port Douglas
Vessel Name: S/V Travesty

Hard wired is the way to go. Forget the separate power supply. Soldered connections with an inline fuse or breaker switch in the line is the way to go. Cheaper, easier, and simpler all round.

Lexx
Old 06-02-2012, 10:07 AM   #5
Ensign

Home Port: New Iberia
Default 12 vdc 30 amp power supply

Hi Folks,
Thanks for your comments and suggestions. I decided to buy a 30 amp continuious supply. Also I do have the radio connected to the boat battery but plan to use this radio in my house while my boat is on the hard for repairs, etc.

I considered just using a battery but not to keen about having a battery in the house. I currently have it connected to a 13 vdc/4 amp supply for listening purposes and once I get the new power supply I will measure the current draw during transmit and just see what it really pulls.

Any suggestions on marine SSB frequencies to listen to in the Gulf of Mexico area?
Thanks again,

John
Old 06-03-2012, 10:11 AM   #6
Admiral

Home Port: Bundarra, NSW
Vessel Name: None

Try this page John:

World MM Nets - a Cruising Guide on the World Cruising and Sailing Wiki

Cheers,

Rob

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: All sections
haiqu is offline   Reply With Quote