Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > The Bosun's Locker > Power & Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 03-19-2013, 01:31 AM   #1
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie
Default Lokata 7 RDF

It's amazing what you find. I have just purchased a working Lokata 7 radio direction finder and hand held compass. I whacked some batteries into it and the little screen on the front displays digital information, from what I imagine are marine beacons which, since the advent of GPS are probably no longer used.

I will use it as a hand bearing compass but wonder if anyone has one of these devices or if anyone has a manual that I can aquire.

Cheers

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:35 AM   #2
Athene of Lymington

Home Port: Lymington
Vessel Name: Athene of Lymington
Default Blast from the past

Not that I've looked lately, but I think I've still got mine on 'Athene of Lymington' (can't look right now 'cos she's sitting on the concrete in Preveza, Greece). Brings back memories of navigating 'on the null' rather like the 'Neckerbein' used by the Nazi bombers in WWII. Not that I always hit the target, of course, as my crew can attest.

The marine stations are long gone, but as far as I know the aero beacons used for aircraft navigation are still broadcasting. You just need to know the frequency, tune the Lokata 7 to it, then swing from side to side and wait for the null, which gives you the bearing (I assume you have the plug-in headphones as well). You obviously need at least three bearings to give a reasonably accurate fix, which may be the problem these days.

Anyway, if that doesn't work you can always go back to the cross staff ...

Old 03-24-2013, 07:48 PM   #3
Lieutenant

Home Port: Cheyenne, WY
Vessel Name: CAREFREE
Send a message via Skype™ to gts1544

Auzzee, As a retired airline pilot, I can inform you that most of the aero NDB's (non directional beacons) are being decommissioned as a cost saving measure, since they are no longer necessary for navigation. I would suggest trying to use commercial AM broadcast stations as they are much more powerful and still available. Just an aside, I have never used an RDF on a sailboat, but understand that they have to be calibrated for the rigging effect. Any advice there? Cheers, gts1544
Old 01-01-2017, 10:42 AM   #4
Ensign

Home Port: Richards Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auzzee View Post
It's amazing what you find. I have just purchased a working Lokata 7 radio direction finder and hand held compass. I whacked some batteries into it and the little screen on the front displays digital information, from what I imagine are marine beacons which, since the advent of GPS are probably no longer used.

I will use it as a hand bearing compass but wonder if anyone has one of these devices or if anyone has a manual that I can aquire.

Cheers
Hello Auzzee. Well, tour post is 2005 and you may be with Davie Jones. In the event you still breathe good old carbonmonoxide I wish to say this. I picked up a Lokata 7 from a friend and I have no idea how it works. Batteries in it gives digital readings about beacons etc. Were you able to get a manual. Who made these things, sure we can get a manual somewhere.
Old 01-01-2017, 05:27 PM   #5
Lieutenant

Home Port: Cheyenne, WY
Vessel Name: CAREFREE
Send a message via Skype™ to gts1544
Default Lakota 7 RDF

Gents, I don't know anything about said unit, but as a retired airline pilot of nearly 40 years, I do know something about the use of radio direction finding.

First, you need to tune to the frequency of a radio station (LF or AM) with a known charted location. As stated in an earlier post, which I just noticed, most of the aero NDB stations have been decommissioned so AM is probably your best choice. I have navigated many a mile with my ADF tuned to a powerful commercial AM station.

Second, you rotate the antenna (or the radio, if the antenna is fixed) to obtain the NULL (weakest signal) as that is much more precise than the strongest signal. There will be two null positions 180 degrees apart so it helps to know the rough direction to the selected station. The null occurs when the antenna is perpendicular to the line of sight to the station.

Third, resolve that direction into a true / magnetic / relative bearing (depending on your use) to the station. Be aware that a ship's magnetic influence (metal / sailboat rigging / etc.) can affect the accuracy of the bearing so it is helpful to have your unit compensated for the location where it is going to be used. Hope this helps!
Old 12-10-2018, 03:06 PM   #6
Ensign

Home Port: Brodick
Smile Lokata 7

I've just sold one of my cruisers and on beavering through the lockers before handing on I found a Lokata 7 which I'd forgotten all about! Haven't used it for years but it certainly worked when the old maritime beacons were running (they're not now and neither are the aircraft ones). I have not tried using AM radio stations as a source but the unit fires up and it looks as though it's just come out of the box (which it has as it was still in the original box!)The headphones and the instruction manual are still with it so if any 'oldtech' enthusiast is after one of these get in touch!
Old 12-10-2018, 06:16 PM   #7
Admiral

This Wiki article gives all the guff on these old tech devices.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lokata_Company

Old 11-30-2020, 04:01 PM   #8
Ensign

Home Port: Boston

Older posts now, but did you ever come up with a manual for the Lokata 7? I have the same unit and am also looking for a manual!
Old 12-02-2020, 04:03 PM   #9
Admiral

I did manage to get hold of a Lokata 7 manual from, of all places, eBay in the US. The manual is with the machine on the boat in Mexico which is a little too far for me to duck out to copy it.

It took me some long time to get the manual and was a matter of just keeping on looking. Of course, the Lokata is nowadays of less practical use than either a horse whip or sextant, and while both of those are still good and worthwhile things if one has a horse or takes a lightning strike and fries the electronics, the Lokata, sadly, is pretty much useless. Indeed, an old 70s or 80 Panasonic pocket radio would be of more use as a RDF.

Still, its a nice thing to have and I wish you well in your quest for a manual.

Old 07-22-2022, 06:44 PM   #10
Ensign

Home Port: Los Angeles
Smile Lokata 7 Availabel along with Operator's Handbook

Hello,
I happened to see the post. I inherited one from my Father-in-law and looking to thin our garage. Let me know if anyone is interested.
It's in excellent condition.
Cheers,
Joe
Attached Thumbnails
Lokata 7.jpg  
Old 09-17-2022, 12:24 AM   #11
Ensign

Home Port: New Bern, NC

I have on as well. It still works. In my backyard in Kingsport, TN I can clearly hear the - .-. TR of Bristol / Tri-Cities on 299.0. It bears 060M. https://www.dxinfocentre.com/ndb.htm is a list of US beacons still operating dated 2022-06-13.