Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > The Bosun's Locker > Power & Electronics
Cruiser Wiki

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 03-19-2013, 01:31 AM   #1
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie
Default Lokata 7 RDF

It's amazing what you find. I have just purchased a working Lokata 7 radio direction finder and hand held compass. I whacked some batteries into it and the little screen on the front displays digital information, from what I imagine are marine beacons which, since the advent of GPS are probably no longer used.

I will use it as a hand bearing compass but wonder if anyone has one of these devices or if anyone has a manual that I can aquire.

Cheers

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:35 AM   #2
Athene of Lymington

Home Port: Lymington
Vessel Name: Athene of Lymington
Default Blast from the past

Not that I've looked lately, but I think I've still got mine on 'Athene of Lymington' (can't look right now 'cos she's sitting on the concrete in Preveza, Greece). Brings back memories of navigating 'on the null' rather like the 'Neckerbein' used by the Nazi bombers in WWII. Not that I always hit the target, of course, as my crew can attest.

The marine stations are long gone, but as far as I know the aero beacons used for aircraft navigation are still broadcasting. You just need to know the frequency, tune the Lokata 7 to it, then swing from side to side and wait for the null, which gives you the bearing (I assume you have the plug-in headphones as well). You obviously need at least three bearings to give a reasonably accurate fix, which may be the problem these days.

Anyway, if that doesn't work you can always go back to the cross staff ...

Old 03-20-2013, 06:07 PM
ngocl0ng24h
This message has been deleted by Auzzee. Reason: spam
Old 03-24-2013, 07:48 PM   #3
Lieutenant

Home Port: Cheyenne, WY
Vessel Name: CAREFREE
Send a message via Skype™ to gts1544

Auzzee, As a retired airline pilot, I can inform you that most of the aero NDB's (non directional beacons) are being decommissioned as a cost saving measure, since they are no longer necessary for navigation. I would suggest trying to use commercial AM broadcast stations as they are much more powerful and still available. Just an aside, I have never used an RDF on a sailboat, but understand that they have to be calibrated for the rigging effect. Any advice there? Cheers, gts1544