Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > The Bosun's Locker > Power & Electronics
Cruiser Wiki

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 10-07-2008, 06:05 AM   #15
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsailing View Post
Since posting this I've done some more research into USB setups - one link is below

http://www.netkrom.com/prod_airnet_5...b_adapter.html

Only problem is nothing available in the UK!
Surely you can find something along those lines. Just about every ADSL modem here ships with a USB WiFi dongle of some kind. e.g. I've got a Netgear WG111 (http://www.i-tech.com.au/products/48..._Wireless.aspx) that I'd completly forgotten about until now. Pair this with a suitable reflector (Woktenna) and you have setup that is not only really easy to build but, depending on who you believe, will give you 10-17dB's of gain.

To whet your appetite here's just three of the possibel setups that use stainless frying scoops.

Add some weatherproofing for the USB dongle and it could even be a semi permanent installation. Of course you'd need to adjust the direction of the dish depending on how you swing at anchor, but in a marina you'd be fine.

For more information than you could possibly want on these kind of setups have a look at http://www.usbwifi.orconhosting.net.nz/

The more I think about it the more I think this is the way to go. And seeing as I already have the adapter It's not an expensive experiment.

L&K Cain

Old 10-07-2008, 06:16 PM   #16
Commander

Wow, thanks for the responses!

I think the way I will go is with a USB high power setup that can have a better home made aerial added such as those described in the earlier posts.

The main problem I have come across so far is in sourcing the higher power USBs in the UK - not many suppliers and quite expensive!

I guess I'll just have to keep 'Googleing'

Ed

Delivering boats for a living

+44 (0) 7932039727
edsailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 06:42 PM   #17
Ensign

Quote:
Wow, thanks for the responses!

I think the way I will go is with a USB high power setup that can have a better home made aerial added such as those described in the earlier posts.

The main problem I have come across so far is in sourcing the higher power USBs in the UK - not many suppliers and quite expensive!
These Ubiquiti units are great if you can get your hands on em. Support 802.11n too.

http://www.microcom.us/sr71usb.html

Also has anyone thought of putting a Ubiquiti Nanostation up the halyard? Its omni, but you can get them with 700mw of transmit power (dont stand too close!!) and run the ethernet backdown the mast....

-Al
Old 11-03-2008, 06:08 PM   #18
Ensign

Send a message via Yahoo to linnetwoods

Quote:
I've found this a really interesting topic with some good information but I have one question that so far remains unanswered - I'm sure someone can answer it.

The discussion has been about rigging additional antenna via an additional card or USB setup - is there any way to improve a laptop's wifi signal strength without any add-ons of this type i.e.to just add an antenna that is better than the built in one. I could for example improve the antenna on my router quite easily but that's no good when the laptop is on a boat and all I want to do is improve it's sensitivity which is pretty poor at the best of times.

My laptop is fitted with a wireless LAN Mini PCI card and I can't see how a replacement card could be fitted as described

Grateful any pearls of wisdom
Can't offer any pearls of wisdom but a client of mine had a WiFi booster made up for me because I was 800m offshore and he needed me to be online without fail to talk to people at a boat show from the boat via VoIP as a demonstration of how it can be used on boats.

The guts of the antenna are concealed in a grey box like the ones used to house domestic outdoor electrical connections, it's about 12" tall, 8" wide and 4" deep and I have no idea what the contents look like. Out of the top sprouts a black rotatable rubber-sheathed antenna about 6" tall and out of the bottom comes a cable for 220v electricity and another which plugs into the telephone socket on the computer (with a little transparent plastic plug with a springy prong sticking out of it, just like the ones on normal phones). The whole thing was designed to be waterproof. It was plugged into the inverter whenever the generator wasn't running.

I seem to recall it cost my client about 350 euros, in 2005, and some local computer company made it up for him once he had explained what he needed. It worked really well hanging up on the mainmast or tied to a stay but it did have to be pointed at the wifi antenna on shore that was providing the internet service. Nothing inside any of the computers I used it on had to be changed although I think there may have been software involved - my memory is hopeless but VIA and Rhine are names that seem to be connected with it in my mind...

I still have it, although I don't use it any more because I have a dongle-type GPRS3 connection now, plugged into two USB ports which works really well.

I have just sent a message to the guy who I think made the booster up so, if he comes back to me with more info, I will return here with it.

Cheers!

Linnet Woods
linnetwoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 08:23 PM   #19
Ensign

We just installed this system on one of the charter boats. It was around the 4-5 hundred dollar mark. I'll let you know how it works out or if it was just a rip off. Here is a link to the system http://www.sea-tech.com/seatech_wifi_package.htm

Tags
wifi