Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > The Bosun's Locker > Power & Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 09-09-2008, 06:09 AM   #1

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee
Thumbs up

Does anyone know of a multi-function display that competes with the CrusPro one in the link below? The important features that I'm in search of are 1--it works/plays with everyone's NMEA 0183 sensors (for example B&G displays only seem to work w ith B&G sensors so wouldn't be what I'm in search of) and 2--it's not a repeater that requires a computer to be on, it is a 0183 multiplexer. 3--its not a computer display, chartplotter, radar display, etc...it is really simply a display for various NMEA 0183 sensors.

link to multifunction display

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 10:26 AM   #2
Admiral

Hi,

Does the E Series go some of the way to answering your question/s?

Check E Series

Old 09-09-2008, 11:25 AM   #3
Commander

Send a message via Yahoo to gslabbert5119
One thing to be aware of, most if not all new computers do not include a serial port (DB9 or DB25) which this device requires, and as we move into the future we will see less and less of those ports. USB to serial converters are not always compatible and the software is even less so. Also in many cases the XP software is USB manufacturer specific and no USB to Serial drivers are included with either XP or Vista.

Click image for larger version

Name:	maxconpcb.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	154.0 KB
ID:	606

Gavin

PS: I am going to have to change my quote as it is the same as your. Hmmm another Yoda fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbopeep View Post
Does anyone know of a multi-function display that competes with the CrusPro one in the link below? The important features that I'm in search of are 1--it works/plays with everyone's NMEA 0183 sensors (for example B&G displays only seem to work w ith B&G sensors so wouldn't be what I'm in search of) and 2--it's not a repeater that requires a computer to be on, it is a 0183 multiplexer. 3--its not a computer display, chartplotter, radar display, etc...it is really simply a display for various NMEA 0183 sensors.

https://BlueWaterCruising.com

https://photographybygavin.com

"Dwell on the could haves, we must not. Focus on the solution, we must...." -- Yoda --
gslabbert5119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 05:12 PM   #4

Thanks for the replies. I'd actually read a review of the Raymarine--and that it was great if you were using SeaTalk but didn't support all the generic NMEA 0183 sentences Plus, I really am looking for an inexpensive little display ($800 for the CruisePro vs $4000 for the (much more capable) Raymarine)...

Regarding computer--the display I linked to doesn't require a computer to be in the loop. However, we use Debian Linux and (even though I use Windows on a laptop) we don't intend to use a Windows machine for our onboard network anytime in the near future. The rather nice thing about NMEA 0183 is that it pretty straightforward to write a script (e.g. using Bash script) in Linux to parse/view/control via a serial interface. Conversely the new NMEA 2000 still requires big investment ($4,000 US last I looked into it) to get the info needed to build a device or program software using the NMEA 2000 standard. It may be harder or easy (this I don't know...) but its not affordable.

Yes, serial ports are becoming harder to get--though you can still get them on a PCI card for a computer that uses it. It is harder and harder to find PCI and PCI Express...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gslabbert5119 View Post
PS: I am going to have to change my quote as it is the same as your. Hmmm another Yoda fan
Yoda, my hero.

Old 09-09-2008, 06:03 PM   #5
Commander

Send a message via Yahoo to gslabbert5119

Quote:
Yoda, my hero.
A little off topic but quote changed to another yoda ...ism

https://BlueWaterCruising.com

https://photographybygavin.com

"Dwell on the could haves, we must not. Focus on the solution, we must...." -- Yoda --
gslabbert5119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 04:06 PM   #6
Ensign

Quote:

Have you seen this (apparently new) model from CruzPro - a lot cheaper than the one you were looking at, and perhaps it would meet your needs:

MaxRp110 User Configurable NMEA 0183 data Repeater
Old 12-29-2008, 05:49 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhawkings View Post
Have you seen this (apparently new) model from CruzPro - a lot cheaper than the one you were looking at, and perhaps it would meet your needs:

MaxRp110 User Configurable NMEA 0183 data Repeater
Yes, I saw this one recently, too. It looks really great as a NMEA data repeater--similar to the smaller sized ones that CruzPro has but able to display more at once due to bigger size. Big difference between MaxView and the MaxRP is that sheer number of non-NMEA things the MaxView can monitor (non-NMEA) along with the NMEA 0183 data. In our case, all the various non-NMEA engine and genset sensors can be monitored on the CruzPro MaxView as well as the NMEA 0183 things. We did purchase the MaxView "for now" as it is very capable for what we need and plan to have a MaxRp as well when we have the need for additional NMEA devices to be monitored.

Are you considering either of these for your boat?

Old 12-30-2008, 02:05 AM   #8
Ensign

Quote:
Yes, I saw this one recently, too. It looks really great as a NMEA data repeater--similar to the smaller sized ones that CruzPro has but able to display more at once due to bigger size. Big difference between MaxView and the MaxRP is that sheer number of non-NMEA things the MaxView can monitor (non-NMEA) along with the NMEA 0183 data. In our case, all the various non-NMEA engine and genset sensors can be monitored on the CruzPro MaxView as well as the NMEA 0183 things. We did purchase the MaxView "for now" as it is very capable for what we need and plan to have a MaxRp as well when we have the need for additional NMEA devices to be monitored.

Are you considering either of these for your boat?
Yes. But I only want to repeat NMEA GPS data in the cockpit, so my needs are very simple.
Old 12-30-2008, 05:20 AM   #9
Admiral

Could this be what you are looking for? FURUNO RD-30

WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU DID SOMETHING FOR THE FIRST TIME?

www.nausikaa.org.uk

= Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Lithuania
Nausikaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 01:50 PM   #10
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nausikaa View Post
Could this be what you are looking for? FURUNO RD-30
Thanks, that's helpful. Yes, that is the sort of thing - though the MaxRp110 User Configurable NMEA 0183 data Repeater seems to be more compact and is cheaper and dumber, both of which are good things from my point of view!
Old 12-30-2008, 05:43 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhawkings View Post
Thanks, that's helpful. Yes, that is the sort of thing - though the MaxRp110 User Configurable NMEA 0183 data Repeater seems to be more compact and is cheaper and dumber, both of which are good things from my point of view!
That one is very nice for the price. If you're looking basic-basic repeater can you use this CruzPro RP30 at $159? link

Old 12-30-2008, 09:05 PM   #12
Ensign

Quote:
That one is very nice for the price. If you're looking basic-basic repeater can you use this CruzPro RP30 at $159? link
Thanks!
Old 05-06-2010, 02:17 AM   #13
Ensign

Does anyone know if the Clipper Depth Repeater from Nasamarine.com is NMEA 0183 compatible? I would think it must be but I can't find anything definite. It is the cheapest repeater I have found, less than $110.