Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > The Bosun's Locker > Power & Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 01-24-2011, 08:06 PM   #21
Commander

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Gone Troppo

Hi All,

To give this system a good test we used it on our Atlantic crossing from Gran Canaria to Suriname. It worked perfectly for the entire, slow, 23 day crossing. I have a few issues with a couple of the programs in it, but will wait until I try the new release to see if those issues have been dealt with, before raising them.

This concept is great, it is nearly like having a spare pc, but only carrying a little usb memory stick. Really nice to see people using their skills to help people without trying to make a buck out of it.

Happy Sailing

Stephen

Crowther Windspeed 36

www.gonetroppo.org
GoneTroppo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 06:18 PM   #22
Ensign

Home Port: Various
Default Old slur but I can't let it pass

<Begin Rant>

As a cruiser, navigatrix user and supporter I was cruising google and came across this forum and read the posts questioning the credentials of the OP.
Quote:
So you're spamming this "free" program on a cruiser forum you haven't posted anything else on and you don't cruise anyway? Your main interest is to advertise the thing. It takes all kinds.
To the best of my knowledge the OP has no affiliation with the listed linux distribution other than being one of the most helpful support members on the Navigatrix forum.

As to his qualifications as a "cruiser", one may wish to check out the Wadda Log. I would think that Pine Island Fl, USA to Sydney AU would qualify as a "cruiser".

And, (as the OP and his detractor stated) this is Free! not "free".

Moe is too stylish to defend himself, but I am not.

</ End Rant>

Old 08-25-2013, 11:35 PM   #23
Lieutenant

Home Port: Stockholm

Redbopeep, re "e.g. spammers that frustrate... " wholly agree with yr well stated concern. You wrote "new comers' usually go to the tavern... " then I thought uh oh did I do that (?) hope so if not pls execuse anyway I liveaboard a storfidra a fixer upper these past 4 years which I enjoy and learn to sail and cruise to eg Åland.

Used linux fr its start (debian rules) wear a gnu hat, use a special ubuntu dist for creating music. I got navigatrix a few years ago didn't find seacharts for it so shelf 'd. Must ask Wadda and Gone Troppo what seacharts they use on it//Joe
Old 08-25-2013, 11:39 PM   #24
Lieutenant

Hello Wadda and Gone Troppo which seacharts do you use on navigatrix? Are there free seacharts for navigatrix too?//Joe
Old 08-26-2013, 12:09 AM   #25

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

Hi Joe, Whether or not you've made your way to the tavern to tell all, guess we've figured out that you're a fit in here at Cruiserlog Wadda came and went without a lot of info--never did get further information (look at dates) about his own cruising. I surmise that he was excited to tell people about Navigatrix but that was about it.

Fair winds,

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 12:19 AM   #26
Ensign

Home Port: Various
Default Re Charts for Navigatrix (OpenCpn)

@Joe Hill IV

OpenCpn (Navigation program in Navigatrix) can use a number of chart formats. I prefer the raster charts in BSB format (.kap) Here are some sources for free charts.

1. OpenCpn A long list of avaailable free and commercial charts.

2. NOAA US and Caribbean charts from US Office of Coast survey. First listing in this links will download ALL available raster charts. Big zip file ~2000Mb. Updated weekly, last count around 1800 free charts. Can also pkg up to 20 individual charts at a time.

3. Open Sea Chart Community based free raster and vector charts for Europe, the Americas, Oceania and Antarctica.

Hope this helps... If you are going to try out Navigatrix again, make sure you download the latest version as there have been a lot of improvements and additions

Regards
Cap' Couillon
Old 08-26-2013, 12:36 AM   #27
Lieutenant

Thankyou Redbopeep
Old 08-26-2013, 12:54 AM   #28
Lieutenant

Hello captaincouillon, thankyou very much re seacharts for navigatrix Also, thanks for informing us abt Wadda. Glad to learn he's not a spammer. Yet, can not help thinking that Redopeep asked a pretty fair direct question and gave a clear polite explaination on the basis for her query which deserved a simple ditto answer. Most likely then misunderstandings wld hv been null.
Old 08-26-2013, 01:46 PM   #29
Lieutenant

Oh, boy now I remember openCPN I'm even registered there still ... looks good thx
Old 08-26-2013, 02:01 PM   #30
Lieutenant

NOAA is a good source very interesting, tah
Old 08-26-2013, 02:23 PM   #31
Ensign

Home Port: Wadda

Quote:
Originally Posted by captcouillon View Post
Moe is too stylish to defend himself, but I am not.
Thanks, Cap, but I'm not really that stylish.

No, I went away because Peep started blocking my posts until I proved I was a cruiser.

Apparently I violated some unwritten protocal of "the friendliest site for cruisers and full time live aboards on the web" (according to the registration email we all received) .

...well, and the vitriol and idiocy of PMs from Peep and others I was receiving.

"Spammer!"

"You're not a cruiser. Blah, blah, blah..."

"Prove it."

I'm old and I'm tired and have little time for jackbooted mods, xenophobes or kneejerks who think they are getting screwed by anyone who walks in.
Old 08-26-2013, 07:53 PM   #32
Lieutenant

Default Moe's log blog

Wadda / Moe, hello and thanks for your log/blog it was a really good read you write well much appreciated yrs sincerely joe
Old 08-26-2013, 08:10 PM   #33

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

Gracious, user "only_me", please do contribute to the forums where you can do so but please don't take things down into the basement.

Cruiserlog has a long history of oddity posts from non-cruisers who are only seeking opportunity for advertisement of their own products, services, and so forth. It's a simple fact and we have a long history of asking people to identify their relationship to a product, service, and what their own interest in cruising is. For some reason, that really bugged you.

Most non-cruising people 'fess up and just say "I'm not a cruiser, but I think my product will really interest cruisers" and we're glad of that. Others are genuine cruisers or other boaters who also have a product they'd like to peddle here. Since you left as Wada, we now have a forum for commercial vendors to place information about their products here Marine Industry Vendors - Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums and that has helped clear up things when vendors would like to share their wares but really don't want to contribute to the cruising forums.

I do recall a less-than-positive series of PM's from you, as Wada. It was certainly an odd bit of communications, I do recall that. I was glad that Wada disappeared and stopped with the PM's to me directly. Life goes on and so does the forum. If you can contribute positive things here, please do so. If you'd like to spit at people, please take that somewhere else--but not in a PM to me, please. It doesn't belong here.

PS--I didn't have the ability to block you from posting as Wada. We do sometimes "invisible" an inappropriate post while we contact the author and ask if that's what he really meant to say. Typically, those things work out and the author continues on posting here. Perhaps site admin did block your account at the time. If you would like to start making contributions to the forum as Wada, I'll research your old account for you and see what I can do to resurrect it if you have forgotten your log-in email, etc. Its always best to keep your original preferred username.

Fair winds,

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 09:07 PM   #34
Lieutenant

good night all Zzz *poof*
Old 08-27-2013, 05:01 AM   #35
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbopeep View Post
Gracious,<blah, blah, blah>
I do recall a less-than-positive series of PM's from you, as Wada. It was certainly an odd bit of communications, I do recall that. I was glad that Wada disappeared and stopped with the PM's to me directly.<snip>
You can assume, only_me is the same character as Wadda, with nothing to base it on except the first post from a new account. Amazing feat really.

But someone provides a link (Navigatrix.net) to a free open source operating system created by, and benefits cruisers and you go all Spanish Inquisition.

It is indeed a funny world.

Check out the system; leave revisionist history for the choir.

The Navigatrix Community has pretty good support too.

(psst....I don't even live on a boat and I use it. Yes, it's that good.)
Old 08-27-2013, 05:38 AM   #36
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Hill IV View Post
Wadda / Moe, hello and thanks for your log/blog it was a really good read you write well much appreciated yrs sincerely joe
Thanks, Joe, I'll pass that along. But I have it straight from the horse's mouth the blog was done by the crew as the captain is incapable. Red over red; the captain is dead.

Well, he not dead...just incapacitated in all things blog.