Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > The Bosun's Locker > Power & Electronics
Cruiser Wiki

Join Cruiser Log Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-12-2010, 03:04 AM   #1
Ensign
 
SpawnyWhippet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 13
Default

I have the following devices interfaced using NMEA in my boat: Raymarine RL70C chartplotter / 24nm radar (display at chart table), L770D Fishfinder & DSM (display at helm), Raystar GPS, ST6001+ autopilot, ST60 Tridata.

Every few mins my Fishfinder multifunction display beeps several times and pops up with a 'lost radar/chartplotter' alarm and resets the range from 3nm to 72nm. I then have to zoom back down to 3nm.

Also, intermittently it will display an error saying 'lost sonar' or 'lost GPS fix' which requires me to reset the whole system in order to re-acquire a GPS fix.

I am planning some long passages and need to be able to rely on this gear - can anyone offer any solutions to check?

The local Raymarine dealer here in Singapore just said 'I don't know what the problem is' when I explained it, he just suggested to get his electrician out and check my power supply. However, his electrician installed my AIS and did an appalling job of the wiring, so I don't want him back on the boat.
__________________

__________________
2005 Beneteau Oceanis 423 Clipper
SpawnyWhippet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 04:23 AM   #2
Ensign
 
SpawnyWhippet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 13
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpawnyWhippet' date='12 April 2010 - 05:04 AM View Post

I have the following devices interfaced using NMEA in my boat: Raymarine RL70C chartplotter / 24nm radar (display at chart table), L770D Fishfinder & DSM (display at helm), Raystar GPS, ST6001+ autopilot, ST60 Tridata.

Every few mins my Fishfinder multifunction display beeps several times and pops up with a 'lost radar/chartplotter' alarm and resets the range from 3nm to 72nm. I then have to zoom back down to 3nm.

Also, intermittently it will display an error saying 'lost sonar' or 'lost GPS fix' which requires me to reset the whole system in order to re-acquire a GPS fix.

I am planning some long passages and need to be able to rely on this gear - can anyone offer any solutions to check?

The local Raymarine dealer here in Singapore just said 'I don't know what the problem is' when I explained it, he just suggested to get his electrician out and check my power supply. However, his electrician installed my AIS and did an appalling job of the wiring, so I don't want him back on the boat.
I found the fault with the 'Lost Fix' error - it was my Raystar 120 GPS. When I replaced it with a new Raystar 125 I no longer get the 'lost fix' error. Now I am getting the error 'Radar/Chart Unavailable', even though the radar is not on, and the chart and fix are clearly visible.
__________________

__________________
2005 Beneteau Oceanis 423 Clipper
SpawnyWhippet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 12:18 PM   #3
Moderator
 
JeanneP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 2,098
Default

Not having a setup such as yours, I am posing questions rather than answers. I hope this helps a bit.

WRT "radar/chart unavailable" when the radar unit is off, wouldn't that be because the radar is off? Do you get the message when the radar unit is on?

I just downloaded the User's Manual, and the troubleshooting section is, IMO, useless. However, it does give you some ways of contacting Raymarine - perhaps you could email somebody to help you.

Good luck.

J
__________________
In 1986 we went cruising for a few years. After 20 years and 50+ countries and several oceans, we are STILL "cruising for a few years".

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 03:24 AM   #4
Ensign
 
SpawnyWhippet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 13
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanneP' date='06 June 2010 - 02:12 PM View Post

Not having a setup such as yours, I am posing questions rather than answers. I hope this helps a bit.

WRT "radar/chart unavailable" when the radar unit is off, wouldn't that be because the radar is off? Do you get the message when the radar unit is on?

I just downloaded the User's Manual, and the troubleshooting section is, IMO, useless. However, it does give you some ways of contacting Raymarine - perhaps you could email somebody to help you.

Good luck.

J
Thanks for the suggestions and I agree with your thoughts on the troubleshooting section - I have never been able to resolve any problem with any electronic device by using information found in a troubleshooting guide.

eg Problem: 'Radar unit does not detect other ships'.

Resolution: 'Switch unit on or remove screen cover.'

I still get the 'no radar/chart available' error with the radar on. I also still get occasional 'no sonar available' and my DSM module intermittently doesn't run. Every 2 -3 mins the L770D & RL70C units start beeping and I have to clear an error; it's getting to the point of being unusable, especially with the chart resetting to 72nm all the time. The L770D also freezes for several mins sometimes and I can only fix it by resetting the power.

My Raymarine dealer has suggested that the cause of the problem could be the size of the Indian Ocean charts loading into my L770D, causing it to fill the limited memory available. His suggestion was to buy a smaller chart for my immediate area only for $500 (he would not lend it to me first to check if it fixed the problem though).

Not sure how to test this without risking another $500 on a possible fix that may or may not work.
__________________
2005 Beneteau Oceanis 423 Clipper
SpawnyWhippet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 07:27 AM   #5
Commander
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 151
Default

It seems like a communication problem. I would check the wiring and connections.
__________________
magwas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 09:59 AM   #6
Commander
 
chiroeurope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Home Port: Edinburgh
Posts: 189
Send a message via Yahoo to chiroeurope Send a message via Skype™ to chiroeurope
Default

Yeah this definitively sounds like an I/O problem (Input/Output).

First thing is not fun which is make a list of all connections and where they are and what state they are in (this will help later trust me).

Second get a multi meter and check that you have continuity on all cables.

Check and clean all contact point with a cleaning agent that does not leave a film (DO NOT use WD40 under any condition).

Check power supply and fuse connections with this. If the problem continues start disconnecting each segment until you have a base that functions.

At which point add one part and run for 30 minutes or through charting problems until it either runs clears or has an error. Note what the errors are (this is very annoying and a bit time consuming but pays off in the long run).

This should allow you find which part of the equipment is the problem and to see if it is under warranty or not. It will also you you a very detailed wiring diagram of your system that can be stored in the Ship log and maintenance manual (not the one the builder gave you the one you build yourself) that way you have a reference chart that can be used in the future should a problem arise that is similar to this.

While flow charts are a bore to make and time consuming to update at time they are extremely useful in certain ways. This really is another version of the lists we where talking about on another thread. It is one of my lists that get don on any electrical equipment new or not as part of basic checks to make sure things are running right.

Hope it helps,

Michael
__________________
What you see in the Universe, sees you.
MM6WMU
chiroeurope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 04:30 AM   #7
Ensign
 
SpawnyWhippet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 13
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroeurope View Post

Second get a multi meter and check that you have continuity on all cables.

Check and clean all contact point with a cleaning agent that does not leave a film (DO NOT use WD40 under any condition).

Check power supply and fuse connections with this. If the problem continues start disconnecting each segment until you have a base that functions.

At which point add one part and run for 30 minutes or through charting problems until it either runs clears or has an error. Note what the errors are (this is very annoying and a bit time consuming but pays off in the long run).
Thanks Michael,

the wiring is pretty simple and straightforward. I traced it all out, removed the binnacle top, resoldered all the connections that were previously using only screw connectors and tested them. Then I re-seated all the navigation wiring behind the chart-table that feed into the main GPS unit, all were seated well previously.

I still get intermittent 'No sonar/radar chart available' errors every 30 mins or so. The fishfinder sonar works about 50% of the time and the L770 multifunction display at the binnacle is still freezing and hanging every hour or so, requiring a power off reset, or sometimes it will reset itself to zoom out to 72nm on the charplotter display, but then runs very very slowly.

I also tried to run the navigation without the Indian Ocean chart installed, but it errors continuously with 'no chart data found'

I suspect I have several problems:

1) Intermittently functional fishfinder sonar transducer

2) Insufficient memory in the L770 to display the Indian Ocean chart.

I have no more ideas what to do, other than spend many thousands replacing the L770, sonar transducer and chart cartridge
__________________
2005 Beneteau Oceanis 423 Clipper
SpawnyWhippet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 09:37 AM   #8
Ensign
 
SpawnyWhippet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 13
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpawnyWhippet View Post

I have no more ideas what to do, other than spend many thousands replacing the L770, sonar transducer and chart cartridge
Well, the problem was getting worse and worse. After getting another 2 sets of technicians out to look, they concurred that the fishfinder multifunction display is intermittently bad and cannot be repaired. They cannot supply a compatible replacement unit and I am now in a $25k hole fitting two new Raymarine E120W HybridTouch chartplotters, digital HD radar, fishfinder, navpod, Seatalk HS cabling and AIS integration.

At the end of the excercise, I will now have the added function of touchscreens and AIS on my chartplotters. Not bad for $25k.

Anyone want to buy a perfectly good Raymarine RL70c chartplotter, 24nm radar and a dodgy fishfinder?
__________________

__________________
2005 Beneteau Oceanis 423 Clipper
SpawnyWhippet is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wireless Alarms Tom Farley General Cruising Forum 0 12-24-2010 10:56 AM
Alarms Tom Farley General Cruising Forum 4 11-29-2010 02:56 PM
Help On A Refrigerant Fix atavist Repairs & Maintenance 4 07-15-2009 04:01 PM
Forward Looking Sonar? redbopeep General Cruising Forum 8 09-06-2007 12:11 PM
Foreward looking sonar Auzzee General Cruising Forum 0 09-19-2006 10:22 AM

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

RV & Travel Trailer Communities

Our RV & Travel Trailer sites encompasses virtually all types of Recreational Vehicles, from brand-specific to general RV communities.

» More about our RV Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:50 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0