Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > The Bosun's Locker > Power & Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 07-02-2012, 09:30 PM   #1
Rear Admiral

Default Replacing Autohelm 3000 control head with st4000 control head?

I guess one advantage with having two vessels is you find yourself with lots of spares.

Last year we upgraded Mico's st4000 tiller autohelm steering with the Raymarine GrandPrix 5000. The new unit separates the control head from the computer which means removing the old control head and replacing it with the new and finding a place for the Computer module below. At the time it annoyed me no end as it seemed just another way for a manufacture to ensure you couldn't just purchase the component you were after (in this case it was simply a more powerful ram).

Australis - our new wheel steering ketch has an old but still functioning well Autohelm 3000 hydraulic steering system. The control head has no display - simply the +1 -1 & +10 -10, 'Auto' & 'Standby' buttons and a Rudder Gain knob. I understand that the Autohelms were the precurser to the Raymarines.

So.....

Can I take Mico's now replaced st4000 control head (which has a display) and install it on Australis in place of the old 3000 Autohelm control head?

I don't want to have to replace any other part of the hydraulic system but if I could end up with a display unit I'd be pretty pleased as I hate wasting gear.

Fair winds,

Mico

Old 07-03-2012, 02:49 AM   #2

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

Mico, I think you can but it all depends on the calibration capabilities of the control unit you end up getting. I do know people who have mixed/matched hydraulic ram systems with new (different brand) control head, no problem. We spoke with WH Autopilots in the Pacific NW about doing something similar. WH does very nice custom autopilots for larger yachts/commercial fishing boats.

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 12:39 PM   #3
Moderator/Wiki Sysop

Home Port: Samos
Vessel Name: S/Y Thetis

Mico

I have had a number of Autohelm autopilots and their descendants Raytheon and Raymarine. I have found that the controller of the older units are interchangeable as long as you recalibrate them to the fluxgate compass. You cannot do this with the newer ST units that have a separate computer. At, any rate you can try.

The World Cruising and Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online world Cruising Guide

Built by cruisers, for cruisers.

=Mediterranean,Black Sea,North Atlantic,Caribbean
I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Mediterranean, Black Sea, Atlantic
Istioploos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 04:15 AM   #4
Ensign

Home Port: cleethorpes
Default auto helm connect to a simrad system

hi
interesting conversation on auto helm ,,

i have a auto helm 3000 which is working 100 % but i have changed all my electrics to simrad ,
would you know if i could intergrate these two together ,,without me having to buy a simrad auto pilot .

any info would be very much appreciated