Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > The Bosun's Locker > Power & Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 05-04-2009, 08:47 AM   #1
Ensign

I need some help with a problem with my Raymarine Pathfinder 4kw 24in radar scanner that has plagued me for over 12 months. The Auckland agents have had the unit 3 times over that period and cannot repair it - so I need to look elsewhere.

The scanner fails on startup, or after it has been running for a while, when the drive belt starts to slip on the motor drive pulley. The motor and the pulley seem to be working fine.Only the belt is slipping. When the belt starts to slip (the picture goes blank) and I remove the cover and give the antenna a gentle nudge with my finger to get it going, the belt stops slipping and I get a picture on the C80 screen. When the antenna turns the system works 100% with full functionality. The agents have replaced the drive belt, the main PCB board, the opto PCB unit and the motor and have checked the antenna bearing and can find nothing wrong. I remain of the view that the antenna bearing is tight for some reason. One solution might be to source a drive belt that runs at a greater tension than the current belt and which is therefore less likely to slip.

Has anyone experienced this problem? Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Old 05-04-2009, 10:50 AM   #2
Admiral

Hello Richard,

First welcome to Cruiser Log >

On the assumption that you diagnosis is correct - that is to say the antenna bearing has a fault, unknown at this moment , until thoroughly checked out. Some options :--

1. If possible get some penetrating oil into the bearing's moving parts (an oil with MoS2 - Check the belt's alignment to the bearing. If the bearing is totally sealed then replace it.

2. If the bearing is A ok - then apply a belt dressing to stop slip. Something like this CLICK HERE

The main object is to isolate the faults - one by by one.

The proposition to use a drive belt that runs at a greater tension - may be ok for a time - but has the potential to cause eventual damage because it was not in the design spec.

Richard

Old 05-04-2009, 11:09 AM   #3
Admiral

Are you sure that the Auckland agent installed the correct drive belt? *We've had problems in the past with dealers "making do" with substandard parts. *Have you contacted Raymarine directly? *I might suggest that you do this. *NZ's pride in self-sufficiency sometimes seemed to go too far, into hubris.

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 11:04 PM   #4
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMNETSEA View Post
Hello Richard,

First welcome to Cruiser Log >

On the assumption that you diagnosis is correct - that is to say the antenna bearing has a fault, unknown at this moment , until thoroughly checked out. Some options :--

1. If possible get some penetrating oil into the bearing's moving parts (an oil with MoS2 - Check the belt's alignment to the bearing. If the bearing is totally sealed then replace it.

2. If the bearing is A ok - then apply a belt dressing to stop slip. Something like this CLICK HERE

The main object is to isolate the faults - one by by one.

The proposition to use a drive belt that runs at a greater tension - may be ok for a time - but has the potential to cause eventual damage because it was not in the design spec.

Richard
Richard

Thanks for those comments. I have tried to lubricate the bearing with CRC but will look for a heavier Moly based lubricating oil. I have also cleaned the belt (which looks like a soft 4inch diameter O ring) with methyl alcohol to clean it, but wasnt aware of the availability of an aerosol belt spray. There is a CRC product available in NZ which I will get. I will try it and get back to you. Getting up on the rear radar arch and taking the scanner cover off is a little problematic in Wellington winds - so I will have to pick my weather.
Old 05-04-2009, 11:14 PM   #5
Ensign

Jeanne

Yes - I have contacted Raymarine for their view - will see what they say. The belt packaging looked as if it was a standard Raymarine product....but you never know!
Old 05-04-2009, 11:34 PM   #6
Admiral

Hello Richard,

As the drive belt is a 'rubber' "O" ring around about 4" Ø . Which in all probability is stretched over both pulleys. Suggest taking it off , and cleaning the channels it runs in, with alcohol - then take the existing "O" ring to an Electronics Repair shop and get 1 or more rings which are slightly thicker, but of same or similar diameter - then replace the existing one with a new one

until you are satisfied that the radar is functioning properly.

Don't bother dressing - a rubber ring as described relies not to slip, on its elasticity.

Hope that helps.

Richard
Old 05-18-2009, 01:27 AM   #7
Ensign

[QUOTE=name='MMNETSEA' date='May 5 2009, 11:34 AM' post='33000']

Hello Richard,

As the drive belt is a 'rubber' "O" ring around about 4" Ø . Which in all probability is stretched over both pulleys. Suggest taking it off , and cleaning the channels it runs in, with alcohol - then take the existing "O" ring to an Electronics Repair shop and get 1 or more rings which are slightly thicker, but of same or similar diameter - then replace the existing one with a new one

until you are satisfied that the radar is functioning properly.

Don't bother dressing - a rubber ring as described relies not to slip, on its elasticity.

Hope that helps.

Richard

Update for those that are interested: Raymarine came back and suggested that I look at external factors such as a low input voltage. I didnt think that a low voltage was the problem as, when in failure mode, the motor was still operating. If voltage had been too low it would not have gone at all. However I checked it and found that my voltage at the scanner under load was 11.8v - less than what I imagined - but within the acceptable parameters for the scanner. After another talk to the local agents I tried a new tack and lightly sandpapered the black plastic drum that seats the drive belt on the antenna as well as the smaller alloy drum on the motor shaft. So far that has worked - I have had the unit on at least half a dozen times and it has started up OK. So I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Richard
Old 05-18-2009, 10:11 AM   #8
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardJ View Post
Raymarine came back and suggested that I look at external factors such as a low input voltage. I didnt think that a low voltage was the problem as, when in failure mode, the motor was still operating. If voltage had been too low it would not have gone at all. However I checked it and found that my voltage at the scanner under load was 11.8v - less than what I imagined - but within the acceptable parameters for the scanner. keeping my fingers crossed.

Richard
Thanks for the Update, It sounds like YOUR original diagnosis has been validated !

Might be an idea to check the voltage at source and compare at scanner - could be a reason to increase the feed diameter anyway.