Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > The Bosun's Locker > Power & Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 12-09-2010, 06:35 PM   #1
Commander

I'm looking to purchase a pair of sealed 8D batteries and have seen a huge variation in price. So far the best I've found is $500 each with free shipping from Wholesale Batteries Direct. Has anyone found a better price?

Old 12-09-2010, 10:41 PM   #2
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seafarer View Post

I'm looking to purchase a pair of sealed 8D batteries and have seen a huge variation in price. So far the best I've found is $500 each with free shipping from Wholesale Batteries Direct. Has anyone found a better price?
Check out the PC 2150-S the best replacement for 8Ds

C L I C K

Old 12-13-2010, 01:10 PM   #3
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMNETSEA View Post

Check out the PC 2150-S the best replacement for 8Ds

C L I C K
The link you sent is for a Group 31 battery, not an 8D.

Odyssey doesn't list the AMP Hours of their batteries, but they do say "Reserve capacity: 205 minutes on 25amps" which equates to 85.4 AMP Hours. The 8D I mentioned earlier has 250 AMP hours. It would take 3 PC2150s to replace the UB-8D, which would cost $1050 plus shipping and extra wiring to hook them together.

The Odyssey PC2150 weighs 77.8lbs, while the UB8D weighs 160.94lbs (approximate 2x as much). That's a lot more lead, and therefore capacity, in the UB8D.

Also:

From Odyssey's website: "Pure Lead Plates: Constructed from 99.99% pure virgin lead, ODYSSEY battery plates are extremely thin, so more of them can fit into the battery. More lead plates equals more power."

Actually, more lead equals more power. More surface area through thinner plates equals higher transfer rate of that power. A deep cycle battery must be larger than a starting battery to be used as a starting battery, for just this reason. A starting battery can never be used as a deep cycle for the reason listed below...

From Windsun.com: "Plate thickness (of the Positive plate) matters because of a factor called "positive grid corrosion". This ranks among the top 3 reasons for battery failure. The positive (+) plate is what gets eaten away gradually over time, so eventually there is nothing left - it all falls to the bottom as sediment. Thicker plates are directly related to longer life, so other things being equal, the battery with the thickest plates will last the longest"
Old 12-13-2010, 06:08 PM   #4

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

I can't find my receipt, durn it. I got the best deal at a place in Santa Ana California. I picked up the batteries but they also ship them. We found that the best deals are "local" so you might find out who does a mail-order/internet business that is nearby you--and then get a price from them for local pickup. We purchased L-16 batteries (approx 400 AH) for about $200/ea (x2 6V to get 12V). As I recall, it was a wholesale price. Great deal, but sorry to be flaky on the brand and name of the shop. If I find the receipt, I'll re-post here. I don't know if you have room for L-16 batteries--they are tall and thin but they seemed to be a really better deal per AH than 8D. They are a bit smaller (around 130lb) so a bit easier to handle as well.

We were looking for the cheapest $/AH with good battery life. We had good flexibility as to where we'd put them, so that got us into L-16 batteries. We have room for 4 of them under a saloon table at the base of the keel-stepped main mast (they sit atop the mast step) so we're also very happy with location. We could not have gotten such a good cental placement low in the boat with 8D because of differing dimensions. Presently we only have 2, but plan to get 2 more L-16's next spring.

when I find the receipt....

edited to ad receipt-- we spent $439 including tax (so they must have been $199 each) on the two batteries at a local Powerstride Battery store. I note the "online free shipping price is $299 right now...the shipping isn't exactly free from these places!)

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote