Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > The Bosun's Locker > Power & Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 11-25-2008, 02:54 PM   #1
Admiral

Home Port: Who cares really...
Vessel Name: T
Send a message via Yahoo to Trim50

I've finally convinced myself to install a wind generator in combination with solar...so now I'm trying to determine what's the best system to buy.

I've seen a lot of the Air-X systems on boats, however my neighbor had two on his that made lots of noise. Is noise just something that you must accept if you are installing wind??

Any and all suggestions are welcome....

Old 11-25-2008, 07:59 PM   #2
Admiral

Just found a real good deal on Air-X here at Wholesale Solar: $555

http://www.wholesalesolar.com/products.fol...der/airx12.html

Old 11-25-2008, 10:57 PM   #3
Moderator/Wiki Sysop

Home Port: Samos
Vessel Name: S/Y Thetis

A have an Air-X and it does make noise. The older model used to make even more noise. It seems that wind generators either produce few amps without too much noise or plenty of amps with noise. There is a new AirMarine model that is advertise to make less noise than the Air-X but I am afraid that if you want a good wind generator you have to put up with noise.

The irony with mine is that when there is a strong wind and the generator is most effective I turn it off at night because I cannot sleep with its noise. One good thing about the AirMarines is that they can be switched off electrically. Some other generators have to be tied down.

Good luck.

Vasilis

The World Cruising and Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online world Cruising Guide

Built by cruisers, for cruisers.

=Mediterranean,Black Sea,North Atlantic,Caribbean
I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Mediterranean, Black Sea, Atlantic
Istioploos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 02:20 PM   #4
Admiral

I just bought the Air Breeze Marine version yesterday (birthday present from Lori ). It is the one in the article above that was at prototype stage when being tested. Apparently they have optimized the power-to-energy performance resulting in less noise.

I will let you know how well it works and if the noise level is actually lower than the Air-X that my neighbor has installed. The most challenging part will be the install and try to find a safe place and height for it.
Old 11-26-2008, 06:25 PM   #5
Lieutenant

Home Port: Hull
Vessel Name: Tadpole

Tadpole has an older model Air-X mounted on a pole at the stern ... it does make a whirring noise when the wind gets up but I find that both satisfying & useful ... satisfying insomuch that I am getting lots of free amps & useful as a rough guide to wind velocity ... if I'm woken up by it I say thanks because when it gets noisy it means the wind has gotten up this means it's time to check systems & conditions.

Bottom line : I would not trade my noisy Air-X ...
Old 11-29-2008, 05:15 AM   #6
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by svtadpole View Post
Tadpole has an older model Air-X mounted on a pole at the stern ... it does make a whirring noise when the wind gets up but I find that both satisfying & useful ... satisfying insomuch that I am getting lots of free amps & useful as a rough guide to wind velocity ... if I'm woken up by it I say thanks because when it gets noisy it means the wind has gotten up this means it's time to check systems & conditions.

Bottom line : I would not trade my noisy Air-X ...
First, one does not have to put up with the noise of an Air-X, which one disgruntled owner described as "a device that converts wind power into noise with a little electrical power as a by product!" I have a KISS, it produces much more power than an Air-X, and very little noise. It is simple, robust, and can be switched off electrically. There are a number of other units on the market that also produce more power, with less noise than an Air-X.

I know of a number of Airmarine/ Air-X owners who have returned there units, due to unreliability and excessive noise. I avoid anchoring near any yacht with a Air-X, as the noise is objectionable even to others anchored nearby!

Do a bit of research on the web, and you will find a unit to suit your boat.

Bill Robinson

JENAIN
Old 11-29-2008, 11:42 AM   #7
Admiral

Perhaps the most annoying thing about the Air-X, and for that matter, most other wind generators, is the fact that owners will leave the @#$@#$ on when in a berth in a marina. The boat berthed next to them is going to be very, very cranky the first windy night.

It's even more disturbing when the owner of the wind generator has gone walkabout for a few weeks or more, and he's running the wind generator because it's safer than staying plugged in to shore power. Well, drat!

If you've got a wind generator, try to be a good neighbor.

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 08:15 PM   #8
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanneP View Post
Perhaps the most annoying thing about the Air-X, and for that matter, most other wind generators, is the fact that owners will leave the @#$@#$ on when in a berth in a marina.
My neighbor has two Air-X that he leaves on...you can hear them all the way down the dock.
Old 11-29-2008, 09:17 PM   #9
Commander

The reason Air-X / Air Marine units are popular is simply the price. The unit is considerably cheaper than the KISS machine and many others because it is mass produced in many different incarnations (originally as a desert wind generator). Other machines are more expensive but usually the quality control is better and the units are quieter. However, there is a little trick (as a wind generator dealer) that I learned to significantly reduce the noise of the Air Marine/Air-X. The blades are mass produced and contain a considerable amount of pits and even mis-aligned mould surfaces. An hour with some sand paper to correct the mis-alignment and smooth the surface of the blades along with some good UV resistant varnish to fill in the pits and you will find the noise dramatically reduced. All those pits and bumps, etc. "tear air" as we say in aviation, and generate all the noise.

Wind turbines - units with 6 or more blades are much quieter and operate better at the lower wind speeds over the deck than the 3 and 2 blades wind generators. So look seriously at the available wind turbine models out there - especially if your boat is a sloop and you intend to put the unit on a deck mounted pole.