Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > The Bosun's Locker > Rigging & Sails
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 02-02-2009, 08:40 PM   #21
Ensign

The Gub'Easy on the Shearwater, a '93 Gemini 3400, is installed on the very, very end of the boom - so the forces are lower while the distance traveled is greater. I plan on trying some 8mm line tomorrow and see if it performs more satisfactorily.

1993 Gemini Hull 379

Palm Beach Florida
captstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 11:02 PM   #22
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by captstu View Post
The Gub'Easy on the Shearwater, a '93 Gemini 3400, is installed on the very, very end of the boom - so the forces are lower while the distance traveled is greater. I plan on trying some 8mm line tomorrow and see if it performs more satisfactorily.
Hello Stuart,

If you go to a previous topic headed Boombrake: HERE, you will find a design made in stainless steel using the same criteria as is in the Gybe Easy from Wichard.

I have used the stainless brake with 14,12, 8mm line and even with 6mm braid - Successfully.

Here are a couple of pictures showing different line in different friction positions.

Name:   R_Ichard_Boom_Control_Brake1.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  13.0 KB

Click image for larger version

Name:	R_Ichard_Boom_Control_Brake3.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	13.8 KB
ID:	791

This one rigged with 6mm braid.

The only negative in using a brake on the boom-end on a catamaran is the extraordinary amount of line that is required. Whatever, the advantage of a brake compared to using a preventer from the point of safety and not having to release the preventer and retying it, should be considered for every sail boat's rigging setup.

Old 02-03-2009, 02:30 PM   #23
Admiral

Home Port: Who cares really...
Vessel Name: T
Send a message via Yahoo to Trim50

Here is how you get seriously injured even on a light air day while sailing...

http://www.break.com/index/sailor-knocked-...boom-swing.html
Old 02-04-2009, 02:55 AM   #24
tel
Lieutenant

Boom brakes are desirable things. I know this for two reasons (1) mine was stolen and (2) I've done ocean crossing with them and they earn their keep. However, I agree with JeanneP, I prefer to tack down-wind.
Old 02-04-2009, 12:51 PM   #25
Lieutenant

I have boom head clearance in the cockpit. I once went forward to retrieve a loose piece of gear, was not paying attention to the main and had a glancing blow high on the forehead when the boom came across in an accidental jibe. Vowed never again to not set a preventer or not keep an eye on the boom when on a short downwind leg. I always cautiously watch the boom when I set the vang tackle to work as an outboard preventer.

Having clearance for crew in case of an uncontrolled jibe does not take into account the harmful shock to the rig when it happens in fresh conditions. I once jibed in about 25kts, while below making lunch. It pulled a forward lower chainplate and it's structural member to the hull up about an inch!
Old 02-04-2009, 07:52 PM   #26
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by babylonlarry View Post
Once jibed in about 25kts, while below making lunch. It pulled a forward lower chainplate and it's structural member to the hull up about an inch!
This is an occasion where the brake comes into its own - while a preventer may prevent injury to crew - it does not limit possible damage to standing rigging - especially when the boom end - ends up in the briny.
Old 02-04-2009, 08:21 PM   #27

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

Quote:
Originally Posted by babylonlarry View Post
I once went forward to retrieve a loose piece of gear, was not paying attention to the main and had a glancing blow high on the forehead when the boom came across in an accidental jibe.
I'm a total clutz on land. Put me on a boat and I'm entertaining to onlookers to watch--but well, dangerous due to my clutzyness. Unless winds are very light and we're sailing well forward of a beam reach...when I go forward and I'm adjacent to a boom on a smaller vessel (w/o preventer) I bend over the cabin trunk or even go forward "on all fours" if the boom is really low. My husband thinks its overkill, but having lived with me, he knows that I'm prone to tripping so its best for me to stay low anyway. On a larger vessel, I just force myself to bend over/hunch under the boom level while going forward which does the trick. Terribly cautious I am--but I know that I could get wacked so easily by a boom. The club-footed staysail is another danger to all on our boat. It can be rigged with a preventer in the same way as the mainsail, though.

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote