Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > The Bosun's Locker > Rigging & Sails
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 08-18-2008, 12:55 AM   #1
Lieutenant

Home Port: Vancouver
Vessel Name: Sooke
Send a message via MSN to BJSmith

Has anyone had experience (good or bad)with this sailmaker located in Hong Kong?

The prices quoted are very good plus they state they will delivery air freight for free.

Old 08-18-2008, 01:19 AM   #2
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJSmith View Post
Has anyone had experience (good or bad)with this sailmaker located in Hong Kong?

The prices quoted are very good plus they state they will delivery air freight for free.
Do they limit the geographic area to which they air freight free ?

Have you compared price plus freight from Lee Sails in HK - LINK They have a very good reputation .

Old 12-02-2008, 05:47 PM   #3

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

Sailmaking is a difficult thing. In your case, it would have probably been best to not state the make/model of the boat to ensure that the sailmaker used your own measurements.

I learned, while attending a sailmaking seminar by veteran sailmaker Carol Hesse of Port Townsend Sails, that even when the sailmaker is local and can take measurements of your boat, sometimes the fit is wrong. Further, if you're not employing your topping lift or other sail-shaping techniques to advantage as you bend on the sail, the best-made sail can end up loose and poorly fitting your boat. If one doesn't have a lot of experience in such matters, finding a local rigger to assist you can make a world of difference.

Best of luck to you in getting your rig ship-shape

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 06:47 PM   #4
S/V lazy Daze

Home Port: San Diego
Vessel Name: Lazy Daze
Default sail buying

Hi Jack,

I did buy the 135 from fareastsails (far east sails) last April. Sail is fine - it is cross cut.

I think you are right and I should have got the 110 as the winds here are around 20 knots.

They quoted me a 110 in challenge warp drive and far east says that is a good choice for cruising and radial cut. They say the laminate cloth does not really like to bend much and the woven warp drive will last longer.

I thought I posted this earlier but it flipped off - so I guess I will get the 110 - what about a 90 jib? Please get hold of me or Diane - we will be over at shelter in few weeks.

Bill
Old 10-18-2013, 11:48 PM   #5
Admiral

Vessel Name: Persevate
Send a message via Yahoo to atavist

Don't know about far East but Rolly Tasker sails made in Thailand are great. We got out new cruising main sail a few weeks ago and a new storm sail. They were about a quarter the price of local made sails, shipped free, and were received 3 weeks to the day from the time the order was placed... Great sails. Very heavy, good stitching, hand sewn leather chafing gear and exactly as ordered with deep well reinforced reefs and measure exactly as ordered, not to the boat specs but to my own...

Can't say enough good things... Will definitely be a repeat customers.

"To see new things, and live day to day, is better than wine or poppy, and fitter for a man." (Theseus)
atavist is offline   Reply With Quote