Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > The Bosun's Locker > Rigging & Sails
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 05-29-2010, 12:01 AM   #1
Admiral

Vessel Name: Persevate
Send a message via Yahoo to atavist

I was just wondering what kind of maintenance routine some of the members with a galvanized rig have?

After installing it how long, on your routine, did you get before it started bleeding/rusting enough to mark decks?

cheers,

J

"To see new things, and live day to day, is better than wine or poppy, and fitter for a man." (Theseus)
atavist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 09:36 PM   #2

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

Hey there, looking at that rigging project huh?

The boats that I know of with galvanized rigging have it served with synthetic marlin. After serving, they paint the serving with a mixture of paint/terp/linseed oil every 6 months to 1 year. With such serving and maintenance, a rig can last safely for half a decade and your sails won't be stained because this mixture is more like paint than oil. However, the whole thing is not really suitable to the boat that you have. Suggest that you stick with stainless steel in that it is in keeping with your boat.

If you don't serve the rig, you'll still have to lube it up with a linseed oil (or other oil) mixture every 3 to 6 months and it will stain your sails if they rub the shrouds and you'll eventually end up with a bit of rust because the rig is not protected with serving...and it might only last the same 10 years that a stainless steel rig would last.

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 08:43 AM   #3
Admiral

Just to add to Brenda's recommendation :-

J, I seem to remember that you had a furling system on the forestay, if you go for galvanised wire and you want to retain the furling gear then you will have to replace the present S/S 3/8" forestay also with S/S 3/8' wire.

The other issue to consider is the different combinations of galvanized wire available and trying in find appropriate terminals for each stay and shroud will be a hastle - not to forget turnbuckles and tangs that will match the mast and chain plates. Talking about chain plates. before you do anything else check these thoroughly - especially where they come through the deck - I remember seeing bad plate corrosion on a Pearson during a survey course I attended in New England.
Old 05-30-2010, 08:24 PM   #4
Admiral

Vessel Name: Persevate
Send a message via Yahoo to atavist

Yeah I figure one day I'll build a boat, something very traditional and I'll rig that with galvanized... but for my pearson I agree it would be too much of a project to switch to galvanized... chainplates, tangs, all would make fora very big project... as I replace th erigging I'll pull the chainplates which are mostly pretty accessible and give them a good inspection...

just to keep the thread going, One treatment I read about from and old naval manual said to use a mixture of 50% burnt engine oil and 50% diesel to rub down the rigging every 3 months and to each stay every year and pass it through a bath of the same mixture.

"To see new things, and live day to day, is better than wine or poppy, and fitter for a man." (Theseus)
atavist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 11:25 PM   #5
Commander

Home Port: Royston

They last ten years or more here with no coating . Coated with epoxy they can last much longer than stainless safe working life.
Old 10-04-2017, 09:47 PM   #6
Commander

Home Port: Royston

The bottom ends, under the thimbles, are a bad spot for rust. Best just give the ends a vinegar, then water rinse to get the oxide off, dry them, and dip them in epoxy. The same rinse works well for the rest of your galvanized gear.
After crossing the Pacific, my rigging was caked with salt for the first 15 feet above the waterline, an area you can mostly reach with a paint brush from deck, from time to time. Above that it was OK. The mast head sees very little corrosion, given it experiences mostly, fresh water only.