Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > The Bosun's Locker > Rigging & Sails
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 02-13-2013, 04:32 PM   #1
Ensign

Home Port: millisle
Default jack line installation

help,

have started to install jacklines - i know should be simple - however have recieved information on two methods of installation;

(1) fix ends of jacklines with shackles at both ends to fixing points.

(2) fix bow ends as noted in (1) and fix stern ends with shackles to rope rings and attach rope rings to fixing points.

my question in three parts is - which method most suitable,
why fix ends to rope & then to fixing points, what advantage if any in this method.

Old 02-13-2013, 06:59 PM   #2
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

The only benefit I can see of one method over the other, is that if you attach one end with rope rather than a shackle, the line can be pulled taut as required. A tight jackline makes it easier to walk along the deck after afixing your tether to the line.

If the line has slack in it, there is a greater possibility of snagging your tether as you make your way along the side deck.

If your lines are tailored to suit the length between attachment points, and are being clipped into pad eyes, a rope attachment should not be necessary. But if either one or both ends are attached to a horn cleat, it will be difficult to tension the line after it is hitched unless there is a cord attachment.

I hope this is of use.

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:50 PM   #3
Ensign

Default jackline installation

Auzzee,

where would i be without you,

As usual your reply makes perfect sence.
shall go with the rope attachment to allow for adjustment.

Forgive the cheek, but one further question while i have your attention - can you direct me to a source of information which can give guidance on the installation of water storage tanks and their effects on the sailing charaterestics of the boat after installation. i have worked out what size of tanks i will require, the volume/weight of the water when tanks are full and in use, now i need to consider location of the tanks and what effects the water tanks will have on the sailing of the boat.

i know you will have some ideas so lets have them.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:40 PM   #4
Admiral

Assuming you are sailing a monohull, the water tanks should be placed as low down and as close to the centreline of the boat, and as near to the fore and aft centre of balance as possible.

As you know, water is very heavy and it needs to be prevented from moving to quickly within the tanks. A system of baffles in the tanks is wise. This may not be a possibility if you are using flexible tanks. If you are putting the tanks either side of the keel and not necessarily close to the centreline, consider attaching a very small bore gravity feed line (with a tap you can close when sailing...to prevent water transfer during heeling) to equalise the volume of water in each tank to keep the boat in trim as the water level goes down.

Balancing the boat according to the volume of water stored depends a lot on the displacement of the vessel. If you weigh 30 tons, the placement of say 100 litre tanks, is of a lot less consequence than if you weigh 6 tons.

Also, if you do choose to link the freshwater tanks with a gravity feed (and it is better to locate the tanks on the centreline and keep them isolated from each other), it is wise to then keep an emergency supply in a jerry can somewhere, just in case the tanks become contaminated.

Finally, make sure you have a method of tying the tanks down. Allowing them to be held in place by their weight alone is only effective in good conditions. If the boat starts to pitch and toss, or worse, gets knocked down, a few hundred pounds of water tank flying around can do some serious damage.

Best wishes.

Old 02-15-2013, 12:03 AM   #5
Ensign

Thumbs up Water tanks installiation

Hi Auzzee,

interesting reading - which leads on to further questions.

My boat is a monohull with hardchine/multichine / steel constructed hull. Gross designed displacement 16 tons, net designed displacement 13 tons.

i had thought of installing two stainless steel tanks in parallel either side of the centre line of the keel, with the centre lines of the tanks in line with the centre line of the keel line running bow to stern. - is this the same as your suggested location - fore/aft centre lines of balance ?

the installation would consist of the port side tank being filled with fresh water for drinking only - the starboard tank would be filled with sea water processed through a water maker and refilled as required during our passage and used for all our domestic requirements.

i had though of locating the port tank at 100mmm / 150 mm above the starboard tank and through a system of connecting pipes / with a stop cock valve arrangement allow the freshwater tank to have the ability of draining into the starboard tank. also through this arrangement ensure the the water levels in the tanks where always in equalibrium.

i would also install a secoundary system of filters on the outlet of the port tank to ensure no cross contamination of the tanks.

what do you think?
Old 02-15-2013, 01:57 PM   #6
Admiral

That sounds like a good and well considered plan. I wouls install them on the same plane rather than with one above the other. The movement of the boat will keep the levels equal when the tap is opened.
Cheers mate.

Old 02-15-2013, 05:10 PM   #7
Ensign

hi Auzzee,
learning from a master.
no doubt i will be speaking to you again. good to bounce ideas of you if you do not mind.
cheers!!!!