Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > The Bosun's Locker > Rigging & Sails
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 08-22-2008, 09:27 PM   #1
Ensign

Hello everyone. I've been lurking for a long time but decided that I'd try to get some feedback. I have an old Luders 33, built in 68 with a traditional slab reefing mainsail. I'm just starting to look into roller furling for it. Vertical furling inside the mast is to expensive, among other problems but I've been reading about a system by CDI (Cruising Designs Inc.) that attaches to aft section of the mast.

I've pretty much talked myself out of it. It doesn't look all that robust and I'm concerned about the inefficiency of it but before I abandon the idea I wondered if there was anyone on this forum who has had any practical experience with the system.

Thanks for your help and input

Nick

Old 08-23-2008, 03:54 AM   #2
Admiral

Hello Nick,

If your boat has the original mast - which in terms of the LOA made it relatively short. This was made up for in having a long boom to provide a larger mainsail area.

This factor may be a problem in so far as the length of the foot when rolled up may mean that the diameter at the bottom couple of feet of the roll will be such that it would jam in the space between the mast and the furling extrusion.

CDI's unit is limited to a mast of no higher than 39ft (they don't say from where ??) with a maximum of 400 sq ft mainsail.

Another possible area to look at, is what type & size of mast head crane that is on the present mast ? Click image for larger version

Name:	Main_sail_Furl_Head.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	21.6 KB
ID:	585 (Blue Arrow).

Another thought to bear in mind are the straps (Red arrow) these look like they could be beefed up - if not they could bend sideways in a sudden strong gust - not to mention being held with only 2 screws tapped into the mast wall each side ???

Richard

Old 08-23-2008, 01:35 PM   #3
Ensign

Hello Richard,

thanks for the response. You're right, it's a low aspect rig so the foot is long, 14 feet. That might be pretty bunched up when rolled up. Good observation about the fasteners at the mast head too.

I originally thought maybe I could use it for lazy coastal cruising and remove it for going offshore, but I don't think that's practical.

thanks again

Nick
Old 08-23-2008, 08:10 PM   #4

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balance View Post
Nick
Hi, Nick,

Not sure of the issues with your slab reefing that have you looking for other options. There is the traditional boom roller reefing which is currently out of favor but might work for you. One can consider changing out the sail slide system (if that's the problem as it frequently is "part" of the difficulty in reefing when the sail won't move easily down the mast for you). Further, though I don't have personal experience with fully (horizontally) battened mainsails, I've heard that one can have a pretty nice slab reefing system with fully battened main (Easy to use). I suppose it doesn't go flapping around quite so much as a mainsail with normal batten. There are also a variety of ways of setting up the lines of the slab reefing system itself to make it easier to reef.

Would you like to have further discussion about the specifics of wanting to get away from slab reefing--problems, ergonomics, lines, etc?

Regards,

Brenda

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 09:05 PM   #5
Ensign

Hi Brenda, and thanks,

I should have written more about why I was thinking of changing things. I'm very comfortable with slab reefing or jify reefing or whatever people like to call it. I've been doing it for years. Ah, doing it for years, that may be the problem.

I find myself motoring more and more and relying on a roller furling jib more and more. I've always been adamant that if Balance was off her mooring then the sail cover would be off and the main was ready, even if I decided not to use it. Last weekend I went for a boat ride with pretty good sailing conditions and used just the jib, never took off the sail-cover and it bothered me a bit. Hence the thought about the roller furling main.

I guess I'm getting a little lazy. I thought if I could just unroll the main I might sail more. I'm also trying to keep that trawler at bay.

Another option is a Dutchman system.

Thank you all for your help.

Nick
Old 08-24-2008, 12:12 AM   #6

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balance View Post
Another option is a Dutchman system.
Thanks for your clarifying reply. Yes, I believe the Dutchman system is one of the systems with the fully (horizontal) battened main and is certainly pretty easy. I've seen a few boats with the "split-sailcover" type lazy-jack system that works great as well as far as getting the sail fully up and fully down quickly. Its very quick and easy looking --and likely less costly than about anything else one might do to be able to get the sail up quickly.

Best of luck in whatever you decide to do with your rig.

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 04:34 AM   #7
Ensign

Send a message via MSN to captkev69
hi

I have had a vessel with a furling mainsail and absolutely loved it in all types of weather in the south pacific.The rig was called a "kiwi rig" and I had it on a 43 foot catamaran.It was a masthead cutter rig and both the genoa and the self tacking staysail furled on their respective stays and the main was on a genoa like furler behind the mast.The furler was on a wire which was attached to the mast foot plate and then went to the crane at the top ,you could adjust the tension at the bottom like any other stay on board.Several yacht riggers here in brisbane said it didn't look like it would work until they came sailing with me .The only downside of this rig was going dead downwind with the swept back spreaders which were at 45 degrees and meant that I didn't need backstays as the mainsail furler took care of that.The biggest surprise most people got was the pointing ability of her and I was also consistently amazed at its abilities as lots of people say cats can't go to windward,well this one did and regularly climbed over the top of most cruising monos and a few mutlis aswell.The other thing was one needed less deck hardware to run it ,as I sailed this vessel singlehanded from the centre of the cockpit with just three big 2 speed winches and 3 banks of jammers .This meant once she was balanced under sail she would hold her course for about 10 to 15 minutes without any helm input and and without using the autopilot .The strongest winds I was in was one a 60 knot bullet came through and I had a couple with me with limited sailing experience on multihulls,so she went on the helm and her husband and I sailed downwind under staysail and partly furled main which unfurled while under motor .Once under sail she had no problem handling this huge cat as she was only 5'3" and weighed 95 pounds and felt more comfortable than handling their own 36 foot mono.The furlers were homemade from sections bought where other makers go to get theirs .I have to go and do some work now but will be only too happy to give you any more info you would require to get this type of rig going . kevin
Old 09-24-2008, 11:57 AM   #8
Ensign

Hello CaptKev,

thanks for the reply. That sounds very much like what I was thinking about. I had kind of ruled it out in favor of the Dutchman system but now I may reexamine it.