Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > The Bosun's Locker > Rigging & Sails
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 07-05-2012, 10:43 AM   #1
Ensign

Default Single line reefing

Hi everyone ...I,m looking for some assistance with a recently purchased main sail I,m informed it,s configured for "single line reefing " The sail has four turning blocks / sheeves attached to it and I would like some line drawings / photos of how to rig this sail and its attachments to the boom my boat is a 40 ft Beneteau Oceanis ..Any advice would be much appreciated
Best regards Tim

Old 07-05-2012, 06:06 PM   #2

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

Welcome to Cruiserlog, Tim.

I'm sorry I am not familiar with your boat and the type of reefing it has. Does your existing mainsail not have a reefing system? What was intended there? If slab reefing that's pretty standard.

Who sold you the sail? Did they not provide you with instruction on the use of the reefing system it had? They should have done so. I just recently had a different setup and extra reefing points put in my spare mainsail (inexpensive modification to the sail); the sailmaker was very helpful in advising his opinion on rigging the slab reefing system with the particular sail and our particular boat. It was an inexpensive little mod to the sail but yet the sailmaker was exceedingly helpful.

Here's a google search of posts on Cruiserlog which include the term jiffy reefing. It may not be really helpful, but good reading even so.

Jiffy Reefing Link

Fair winds,
Brenda

PS I removed the link to your email because you'll end up with lots of spam with it in your post. Members can email you via the forum or PM you here as well.

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 09:15 PM   #3
Ensign

hello I own a Oceanis 473 with this type or reefing. Now the reef line, say reef 1 comes out of the cockpit, runs to the head of the mast, goes through the block, up the mast through a "line guide" before the boom, up to the first block on the sail, back to the boom,around a block inside at the edge of the boom, runs inside the boom to the end, around the block inside, up to the equivalent first block on the sail and down to the boom where it is tied. When you reef the line will pull both sides of the sail down. This is not a technical explanation but if you follow it it should not be so difficult to figure out. Repeat for second reef line.
Good luck!
Old 07-05-2012, 09:21 PM   #4
Ensign

http://www.harken.com/pdf/4171.pdf
this is the Harken system but very similar to Benetteau. It runs outside the boom instead of inside
Old 07-06-2012, 12:37 AM   #5

So this sounds like regular jiffy/slab reefing, just with blocks on the sail itself where you'd usually just see a reefing cringle?

Old 07-10-2012, 07:15 PM   #6
Ensign

correct.
Old 08-22-2012, 04:59 PM   #7
Ensign

Default Single line reefing layout for Z-spar

Tim,
Attached PDF is from the z-spar manual and shows how the lines run on the Beneteau. It's a little fuzzy (copy) but I think it will set you on the right path. I have the whole catalog..but it's a big file. Let me know if you'd like it.
Bob Pattison

Hi everyone ...I,m looking for some assistance with a recently purchased main sail I,m informed it,s configured for "single line reefing " The sail has four turning blocks / sheeves attached to it and I would like some line drawings / photos of how to rig this sail and its attachments to the boom my boat is a 40 ft Beneteau Oceanis ..Any advice would be much appreciated
Best regards Tim
Attached Files
File Type: pdf reef.pdf (96.3 KB, 30 views)
Old 08-22-2012, 07:12 PM   #8

Thanks for the .pdf, for our members, Bob, it is much appreciated