Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > The Bosun's Locker > Rigging & Sails
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 02-26-2012, 06:00 AM   #1
Ensign

Question Spartite Problem

My boat is keel steeped and I needed to deal with the through the deck problem after re-rigging. I saw the job a pro-rigger had done on a boat in the marina here in Turkey and it was impressive. He swore by the stuff and kindly he gave me a few tips.

I arrived in Turkey this week and prepared everything to install Spartite to fill the gap between the partners and the mast on my boat. I prepared the mast partners by liberally smearing the inside with Vaseline and used the provided putty to block the gap below. I was ready to start. The weather is about 14C (57F) late this afternoon (coolish).

I shook both part A & B tins of the product, poured the small tin into the large tin and mixed for about 15 seconds and then poured the now mixed product into the provided plastic pale as instructed. I walked the pale of stuff up to the deck from the galley where I mixed the product. This is an 11m boat so that is not far. Realising I had forgotten the funnel I went back down below and got the funnel from in cupboard to make it easy to pour into the gap. I took a deep breath and started to pour into the funnel and I noticed the it was already thickening. The funnel had a 13mm outlet (West System), I poured the now thickening (4 mins from start max ) Spartite product into the funnel and it started to flow but very slowly. I expected it to run more freely but it was like very thick honey and not flowing out the funnel. I was then shocked by the heat being generated in the cup full of product still in the funnel. I went below and grabbed a spatula believing I could work it down the funnel with a pumping action. Didn't work as it was like gum now. I was now in trouble, I returned to the pale and the heat was incredible and it was going off like a bomb.

I am very used to handling epoxy products and I know large batches are a problem. Needless to say I got less than 30% (or less) of the product around the mast. It was now like rubber and could be pulled out and stretched into long thick strands which I pulled out by hand to tried to shape it into the gap around the mast. It is a total failure and the product in low temperature set within 10 minutes.

What did I do wrong? Is Spartite just a rubbish product or did I get a dud batch? It was coolish so normally I would get more time but I had less than 5 minutes where it could be poured. Is this what I should expect?

Needless the say the cleanup is going to be horrendous. I will probably have to step the mast to clean it up I expect the Spartite as a company is useless and it will be all be my fault because it was too cold, or the boat is too old, or it was only a quarter moon and it says in the fine print only pour on full moon days. Not funny.

Bateau
Nicholson 35

Old 02-26-2012, 06:20 AM   #2

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

You're right that there's always something that we've done which...well...seems to invalidate the warranty. The too-cold weather shouldn't have caused fast set. I'd suggest you get in touch with Spartite directly to learn what you did (or didn't) do wrong and to find out if they will refund/provide new materials or at a minimum give you a discount. Perhaps your vendor kept the product in a hot or too-cold location while stored. Perhaps it was too old. In any case, the Spartite phone numbers are

Toll Free
800-344-7776

International

I can understand many companies not giving warranties on these two part products since so much can go wrong--but perhaps you can get them to help you out with replacement product.

Good luck,

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 12:49 PM   #3
Ensign

Default Spartite came to the rescue

I have to say I was really surprised yesterday. I received a very nice email from the manufacturers of Spartite and they explained what had happened in my case. They have had a batch of product (old now) on which the lid seals were not perfect. What happens is one of the 2 part tins is filled with Nitrogen to stop it being contaminated with normal air. If somehow the seal is broken air seeps in and part of the product is used up through drying. That explains why it was globulous when when I looked at the product. This then effects the ratios of hardener to product and can dramatically effect the working times. In my case it was more than halved and it got hot. In hindsight I should not have continued working with the mix but inexperience on my part (no knowing what to expect) had me keep going.

What I have learned is that things go wrong for everyone occasionally. It is not until that happens you learn the deeper things. In this case the response from the Spartite company reassured me of the quality of the product and their commitment to customer service even if I am not from the US and it was not a leap moon when I applied the product. (tongue firmly in cheek). They phoned me and talked through how I could remove the partially installed product without stepping the mast and I agree it will work. They then offered to send me a replacement product to redo the seal. When a company responds in this manner I am impressed. I felt assured and I even felt if more had gone wrong they were ready to help. Thank you Spartite.

Bateau
Nicholson 35