Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > The Bosun's Locker > Rigging & Sails
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 10-09-2017, 11:34 PM   #1
Ensign

Home Port: Princeton
Default Stonehorse 23 - Mast Maintenance

Hi all, I'm considering the purchase of and Edey and Duff Stonehorse 23. I realize they probably don't aesthetically appeal to everyone but i have really come to love the design from what I've seen so far. For those unfamiliar they are fiberglass boat with wood mast and boom. I'm curious if anyone can share what the maintenance might be and if i should be leary of this type of set up. Very few have been converted to aluminum spars and in my opinion they just don't look right. Probably worth noting I have zero experience working or caring for a wood boat (but willing to to put in some reasonable amount of time and effort!).
All help and advice welcome!
pkrip

Old 10-10-2017, 04:49 AM   #2
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

Hi and welcome. The Stonehorse 23 is not a boat with which I am familiar. It does, however, bear a striking resemblance to the Hood 23 which has become a classic staple of Australian small boat sailing. I cannot tell you much about wooden masts. I owned a 32' Piver trimaran at one stage and it had timber spars, but they had been restored and gave me no trouble at all.

I agree that a boat designed to carry timber spars should live her life in exactly that livery. The bottom line is that you may need to drop the mast and have a good close look at it. Make sure the fittings are soundly attached and be prepared to get stuck in to the job with Everdure (or a similar wood hardening product). You will need to keep a close eye on the spar on a regular basis. I wonder if the mast and boom are coated with urethane or paint. Clear coating is beautiful...painting is a good option for those who prefer to spend all their time sailing.

Please keep us informed and post a few photos. Hopefully Redbopeep will make an entry (wooden spars and loads of knowledge). In the meantime, congratulations on your new boat and I sincerely hope you have fun sailing her.

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 12:30 PM   #3
Ensign

Home Port: Princeton
Default Stonehorse 23

Thanks so much for the reply Auzzee. I haven't bought her yet but am in the early stages of boat shopping. Thanks for the reference on the Hood 23 and yes they seem similar. The Stonehorse was built by Edey Duff on the east coast of US. As I recall about 150 were built.

Still searching.....
Best
pkrip

Tags
maintenance