Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > The Bosun's Locker > Other Equipment
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 04-19-2008, 01:01 AM   #1
Ensign

I just bought a used (1984) Achilles inflatable (model SPD-4DX, 10 ft long). It's in perfect condition. But I don't know how to put it together. It has wooden floor boards. I inflated it, but then I couldn't get the floor boards to cram in under the inflated sides. So I deflated it and tried to put the floor boards in when it was deflated. But it still seems so tight I'm afraid of damaging the rubber by pushing too hard to get them in. I'm sure that they are all the proper pieces. My first question is does anyone know where I could get a manual for this? Or, can anyone give me some guidance? Is there an order in which the sections should be inflated? Is it usually so hard to get the floor boards in?

Thanks for your help.

Mike

Old 04-19-2008, 03:01 AM   #2
Admiral

Hi Mike,

First layout the boards on flat surface, then connect together (obvious which is the front and the aft. Then measure fore and aft, then measure widest beam.

Then with dinghy deflated measure the insert space fore and aft - then the beam insert space.

If the measurements for the boards are close to that of the dinghy insert space = Ok

Then with washing up liquid on edges of boards and in insert spaces. Fit a couple of boards at the front then a couple at the back then the rest. Inflate !

Richard

PS . I assume you have the side stringers for the boards ?? Besides the H joints ?

Old 04-19-2008, 04:07 AM   #3
Ensign

Thank you. The washing up liquid idea sounds good. I do have the H joints, but I'm not sure what the side stringers are.

Mike
Old 04-19-2008, 04:13 AM   #4
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevelandrocks View Post
Thank you. The washing up liquid idea sounds good. I do have the H joints, but I'm not sure what the side stringers are.

Mike
As far as I remember these are made of plastic or maybe even aluminium - they run along the outside edges - not sure how many or if they are only a couple either side.
Old 04-19-2008, 11:19 AM   #5
Admiral

Assembling our Achilles with wooden floor boards was half the reason we bought an air floor dinghy the next time around!

Richard has given you the order and the procedure, but a few more hints. The boat should be barely inflated. There should be two grooved ("U" shaped) side rails, probably made of aluminum.

Don't put the side "u" rails in until the very end, and don't inflate the inflatable keel until the very end.

You will find that the fit is very tight, so when you put the front piece in, and the back piece, the one or two middle piece(s) will seem not to fit. They will, if you tent the boards a bit and then push down on them. Remember to have those "H" pieces between each board. Then after the boards are snugly in, take the "U" side pieces and slip them onto the sides (sort-of roll them down and around). Then inflate the boat fully, side pontoons first, keel last.

You are not alone in the frustration of trying to get the entire thing assembled, but you will be rewarded with a sturdy dinghy.

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 03:09 PM   #6
Ensign

Thank you all.