Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > The Bosun's Locker > Other Equipment
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 10-11-2007, 11:50 PM   #1
Admiral

Home Port: Who cares really...
Vessel Name: T
Send a message via Yahoo to Trim50

After years of trying to decide Davits or no Davits or Arch or no Arch, I think I have finally found the solution that works for my boat and transom. I was given this lead by a boat owner at Catalina last weekend while cruising around in the dinghy looking at other boats. When I saw this set-up, I knew it was just the design I was looking for.

http://www.katomarine.com/saildavits-island.htm

The price is right and they even make a solar panel attachment system. BINGO...two birds with one credit card purchase!

Old 10-12-2007, 02:41 AM   #2
Admiral

Hi, if you hav'nt bought it yet , here is a couple of issues to consider :-

1. The blue arrows in the graphic indicate possible weak points - check to see if the makers will insert a reinforcing tube or rod to strengthen those points ?

2. The addition of a cross bar strut (or a wire stay) between the 2 outer ends would help in ensuring that lateral movement is limited.

3. In addition to 2. above- both port and starboard davits should have eyes welded so that they can be stayed on either side also to prevent lateral movement.

Name:   Davit_Design.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  15.3 KB

Question :- How are you going to lift the Outboard ?

Richard

Old 10-12-2007, 03:50 AM   #3
Admiral

Yeah, I see a lot more bending moment at the bottom than the top...I'd imagine that could be easily fixed with water jet plate welded to the outside of the joint. My biggest concern with davits has been clutter and space on the transom...I'd also like to have a system that can be removed easily and stored.

As far as the outboard goes, I would hope that the method I presently use would continue to work as well as the occasional lift with engine in place. I only have a 9.9 2-stroke. Even Lori can lift it...so not to much of an issue. We've even thought about getting a cheap used 2.5 2-stroke for quickies.
Old 10-12-2007, 02:38 PM   #4
Rear Admiral

I have only seen this once, but I can imagine it happening quite often. While sailing into St. Augustine Florida a 45ft monohull was coming out of the channel. The wind was very near opposite the current, and it had some serious chop. The dinghy kept getting it's bottom dunked into the sea. I was wondering what kind of strain was being put on the davits from the suction? Since you have all of that flush deck space. Why would you not place the dinghy there? I am not against the idea of davits. I am just wondering out loud.
Old 10-12-2007, 03:03 PM   #5
Admiral

We do keep it on deck now. I would imagine that we would continue to use the deck for certain crossings. The davits would make harbor hopping much easier and they would give me a place for solar panels other than above the bemini.
Old 10-12-2007, 03:36 PM   #6
Rear Admiral

A simple answer for my sill question. On my Columbia 30 I kept a rollup, and tied it before the mast rolled up. On Imagine she sits between her sterns.

I think you have the right idea. On the davits for accessibility, and the deck for weather, or crossings. Your vessel has a very elegant look to her. I love a flush deck!
Old 10-12-2007, 03:51 PM   #7
Admiral

The flush deck was the reason I bought her years ago...nobody else understood my vision of the teak decks back then.
Old 10-12-2007, 04:09 PM   #8
Rear Admiral

The builder of Imagine used teak veneer to do the cockpit seats, floor, tables, and platforms. The boat is now 9 years old, and a couple of years ago the teak started splintering. I pulled the black material out of the grooves, and partially filled them with expoy while I epoxied the whole surface. The slight grooves left kept a look of wood after painted. I am still working on that project.
Old 10-12-2007, 08:55 PM   #9
Ensign

Kato makes stellar products. They are overengineered and work. I do have their davits on the Moody but they are the voyager module which are not stainless tube. I would have no concerns as long as you do not exceed their design specs and properly install them on the transom.

SV Sirius

Moody 47
Jon D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 04:12 PM   #10
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine2frolic View Post
I have only seen this once, but I can imagine it happening quite often. While sailing into St. Augustine Florida a 45ft monohull was coming out of the channel. The wind was very near opposite the current, and it had some serious chop. The dinghy kept getting it's bottom dunked into the sea. I was wondering what kind of strain was being put on the davits from the suction? Since you have all of that flush deck space. Why would you not place the dinghy there? I am not against the idea of davits. I am just wondering out loud.
This is a problem that many davit manufacturers have failed to address. By not allowing for adjustable height and reach, these bended tube davits can never approach the strength and adaptablity of modular davits. The dinghy should never ever be so low that following seas can reach the bottom of the dinghy. Another point to consider is that welds present clear points of weakness and areas where rust and corrosion can take hold.

Many quality davit manufacturers have removable systems that are also able to rotate out of the way or be used as a crane. As I said, avoid bent tubes, welds and davits that don't allow for any customization while being installed.

Simply the Best
Benjamaphone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 10:19 PM   #11
Rear Admiral

Hi All.

Appreciate we are all trying to help - but sometimes the help gets confusing.

Can someone explain how you avoid bent tubes - and also avoid welds?

Surely one has to have one or the other - or is the implication only straight tubed davits are strong enough?

For the record, we've bent tubed davits (UK firm Simpson Laurence) and seen our 3.4 metre dinghy complete with 8 hp engine bounced around in big seas - and 12,000 miles later they look just like they did when fitted.

So I'm one that has no issues so far with bent tube davits.

Anyone with welded davits that have lasted also?

JOHN