Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > The Bosun's Locker > Other Equipment
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 02-20-2008, 11:08 PM   #1
Admiral

Home Port: Who cares really...
Vessel Name: T
Send a message via Yahoo to Trim50

I have been pondering this for a few months now and was wondering if anyone else has solved this problem. I want to install davits for my tender, however the stern of my boat doesn't lend itself to aft boarding ladder. If I don't have an aft boarding ladder, how does one attach and detach the tender from the davits????

Old 02-21-2008, 02:33 AM   #2
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trim50 View Post
If I don't have an aft boarding ladder, how does one attach and detach the tender from the davits????
Good question !!! Simple answer = with difficulty !

Name:   Trims_Stern2.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  18.8 KB

One alternative :-

Click image for larger version

Name:	Transom_Ladder1.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	348

The above ladder is extended in the Left pic and folded in the Right. To work on Trim's transom the stand offs should be lengthened so that the ladder when extended is vertical - also to strengthen the forward ends of the standoffs should be joined by a strut. The jpgs are those of a Garelick ladder.

If a ladder was fitted to Trim - best on as far starboard as possible.

Equally important is the rigging - min 3 sheaves per pulley on the davits - really long lines to enable the dinghy to be well free of the boat when floating. The Davits must hold the Dinghy very high off the transom - provision must be made to secure the dinghy in terms of side movement and fore and aft movement - It must not be able to move 1 mm.

The Outboard may need its own side davit off the port side davit.

I don't know if the above provides an answer to the difficulty. Perhaps a couple of measurements would help :- a. angle of transom b. height of transom to water. c. Width of gunwale ???

Richard
Attached Images

Old 02-21-2008, 04:09 AM   #3
Admiral

I'm kinda holding this as last resort. I've seen boats with davits and no transom ladder...just wondering how they do it.

If I end-up using a transom ladder I'll have to build a new pushpit railing with integrated folding ladder...and if I do that, then I'll end-up building custom davit$$$$$$$$$ ouch. Then what about the solar panels argh!
Old 02-21-2008, 06:28 AM   #4
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trim50 View Post
I've seen boats with davits and no transom ladder...just wondering how they do it.
In Boats, where the transom slopes the other way to yours and depending on the distance I have seen people stepping down into the dinghy. Others have installed one or more of Sea-Dog's

folding steps on the transom to enable transfer into the dinghy :-

Name:   Folding_Step.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  3.2 KB
Old 02-21-2008, 06:32 PM   #5
Admiral

Someone over on Cruiser Forum found this nifty little device that might work at the end of the davit block lines.

http://www.foreandaftmarine.com/JC-48750.htm

I would think it would be a handy item for many other tasks as well.
Old 02-21-2008, 11:48 PM   #6
Admiral

We bought one of those "grab and go" hooks in Finland to use while we were cruising the Baltic last summer. The Med mooring systems in Sweden, particularly, require one of these. One goes into a marina slip, hooking onto the mooring ball outside the slip and backing into the dock and tie off, stern-to. The bow of the boat can be as much as 25 or 30 feet from the mooring ball. There are no side docks, the marinas pack as many boats as possible onto the docks, and often there are several boats using one mooring as they squeeze onto the dock. Leaving the dock is easy, one lets go of the dock lines, motors forward and yanks on the second line that releases the hook from the ball, and the boat is on its way.

I'm not sure it's such a good idea to hook onto davits, though we haven't tried it. I know that carrying a dinghy on davits safely requires securing the dinghy so it doesn't bounce around or swing in rough seas, but a hook that doesn't close securely, like the grab and go, might not be the most secure clip for securing the dinghy.

Just a question, no experience with trying it.

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 12:02 AM   #7
Admiral

I would imagine that you could have two types of hooks on the lifting tackle. One to get the boat up to the level of the deck and the other to secure it for the ride.
Old 02-22-2008, 05:55 AM   #8

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

[QUOTE=MMNETSEA;18204]In Boats, where the transom slopes the other way to yours and depending on the distance I have seen people stepping down into the dinghy. Others have installed one or more of Sea-Dog's

folding steps on the transom to enable transfer into the dinghy :-

Attachment 350

A friend's boat uses one of these little folding steps on the transom to enable boarding from the dinghy up the stern. They have a very vertical stern, it works fine but is a big step up from the folding step to the caprail. Each time I've done it I felt like I was not going to make it. Plus you have to then go over the rail. Just not a good setup. Another boat I see frequently (in one of the anchorages we use on the weekends) has davits but simply boards at the side using their side-mounted swim ladder and then secures the (zodiac) dinghy from the deck. I haven't paid much attention to their technique. Guess I'll look next time... Our boat (recall built in 1931) originally had small davits on both sides--the port side for a dinghy, starboard side for a dinghy but spaced/situated to hoist ice from your dinghy into the galley's ice box (top loaded from a port in the deck) and coal into the coal chute for the propane and coal burning galley stove (and to hoist the propane tanks, for that matter, as they were large and situated IN the galley and could be hoisted out the hatch above the galley adjacent the coal entry). With the rebuild, we'll probably put the davits for the dinghy in place on the port side as they're removable and quite small/short by today's davit standards (they're just a bit taller than lifelines and pivot to store in-line with lifelines, but skip the ones for "heavy lift" on the starboard side. We got rid of all those extra hatches on the starboard side (ice, coal, etc) in favor of seaworthiness. .

Our transom is too full of too many things going on to add davits to the mix. And, we have the philosophy of not traveling with dinghy on davits anyway.

I hope you find a configuration that works for you! Is your outboard a bit heavy or what else points you towards the stern davits?

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 08:04 AM   #9
Admiral

Ken,

I went back to my block and tackle box and figured out the simple solution - I THINK !**88!

You will need 2 of these to be attached to the boom end of the Davits shackled to the universal head.

Name:	RF51210.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	351

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You will need 2 of these to be hung upside down with the snap shackle RF6321 attached to

the universal head.

Name:	RF51200.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	352

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You will need 2 of these attached to the RF51200 block by its universal head

Name:	RF6321.jpg
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	353

Name:	RF6321spec..jpg
Size:	27.8 KB
ID:	354

Method :-

1. With a length of good quality 1/4" braid, splice an eye-splice on the ring pull of each snap shackle's release pin.

2. With sufficient line rig the blocks with good quality 5/16th" (8mm) 24 plait double braid

To detach the dinghy , drop the dinghy into the water - Retain a little tension, use a ABS boat hook to hold off the lower block, then pull on the snap shackle release pins - with the painter bring the dinghy around to the side boarding gate - get in, remove the lifting bridles. Ship the oars - add the passengers and off to the beach!

Richard

P.S. Overnight , thought ! OK that's good to release the dinghy from the lifting tackle, BUT OH! how do you reattach and get back on board !!! DUMB ! SO rethink = buy 4 RF6321 Snap shackles (2 at the top and 2 at the bottom of the block and tackle) splice on short lanyards to the top shackles - pull to release and lower into the dinghy with an attached line - bring dinghy round to the side gate . Reverse procedure to reattach dinghy to Davits. That better?