Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > The Bosun's Locker > Other Equipment
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 06-25-2008, 12:29 AM   #1
Commander

Home Port: Stockton, MO
Vessel Name: Ceilidh

Price wise I have been reduced to three choices of Air Floor Inflatable for the current purchase:

1). A new(2003 Old Stock) 270 Air Deck Quick Silver by Mercury that is still in the box with warranty in PVC.(local)

2). A short wait to get more funds for last years model of the same 270 but in Hypalon (the most expensive by $450)

3). A 2001 Achilles LSI-96 WH that was used for two seasons but still loooks great due to garage storage (least expensive)

I have heard arguments that PVC has gotten better, but this one is from '03. I can save the most on the Achilles and I like it alot but the vintage bothers me. If I purchase the newer 270 Air Deck I can't afford the new Inverter.

The budget part is for me to work out, but I sure could use some input on Hypalon versus PVC.

David

Old 06-25-2008, 01:11 AM   #2
Admiral

David

I personally am biased towards the Achilles - I have been able to personally repair holes with Hypolon patches, even when I substituted epoxy glue for the hypolon glue which had gone hard in the tube. PVC is much harder to repair.

If you go for the Achilles, it is worth considering white canvas tube covers.

Richard

Old 06-25-2008, 06:16 AM   #3

Send a message via AIM to delatbabel

Where do you live? And where will you be using the dinghy? By "where" I mean "what latitude?".

I live in Sydney and that's 32 degrees south, PVC dinghies here disappear in the sunlight after about 3-5 years. I've done some traveling in lower latitudes (closer to the equator) and inside about 22 degrees hypalon is the only answer, as your PVC will disintegrate almost overnight. At, say, 45 degrees it's likely to make much less difference.
Old 06-25-2008, 01:30 PM   #4

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

Hypalon, longer lasting, ease of repair. Only bene to PVC is (short term) cost. Long term will likely be the same with more frequent replacements and hassles of repair.

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 09:52 PM   #5
Moderator/Wiki Sysop

Home Port: Samos
Vessel Name: S/Y Thetis

David

For whatever is worth. I keep my boat in Greece and cruise for several months. The sun is strong and there are lots of sharp rocks there. After my 3rd PVC dinghy (Zodiak) was beyond repairs I bit the bullet and bought a hyphalon with a hard bottom made by a local small company. It was expensive but not too much more than a PVC Zodiac or Avon. That was 5 years ago of very hard usage. I very often tow it. It still looks like new. The only precaution I take is to cover it if I do not plan to use it for over a week. One disadvantage, other than the price is that it is much, much heavier that a PVC with inflatable bottom. I cannot raise it on the deck without a slink and a winch. It takes me about 20 minutes to do so.

Good luck

The World Cruising and Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online world Cruising Guide

Built by cruisers, for cruisers.

=Mediterranean,Black Sea,North Atlantic,Caribbean
I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Mediterranean, Black Sea, Atlantic
Istioploos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 02:26 PM   #6
Commander

Thanks to All,

I have worked out a deal to purchase the Achilles, we are trying to determine the least expensive method to ship it from Maryland to Missouri. I can drive to get it for what UPS wants to charge! While it is older, it is in great shape and has been well taken care of. I was leaning toward Hypalon and I appreciate the input from everyone. Thanks again!

David
Old 07-03-2008, 04:55 PM   #7
Ensign

David -

I think you are making the right choice. Unless you are sailing full-time already you will learn a lot about your needs. If you will be sailing full-time or even a lot I suspect you will find that moving to a hypalon RIB will happen. Of course depending on you, your style, and your cruising grounds you may find a hard sailing dink to be a better fit for you. Even you may not know yet what will fit you best. Getting a dinghy with the least initial expense is the best way to get started.

Oh -- if you decide to drive to MD and can wait a few months consider coming during the Annapolis Boat Show.

S/V Auspicious
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 03:16 PM   #8
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildernesstech View Post
Thanks to All,

I have worked out a deal to purchase the Achilles, we are trying to determine the least expensive method to ship it from Maryland to Missouri. I can drive to get it for what UPS wants to charge! While it is older, it is in great shape and has been well taken care of. I was leaning toward Hypalon and I appreciate the input from everyone. Thanks again!

David
Check out Greyhound frieght,

insure for sure

d
Old 07-11-2008, 11:16 PM   #9
Admiral

Home Port: Who cares really...
Vessel Name: T
Send a message via Yahoo to Trim50

My last Achilles lasted 15 years! We were very sad to retire it in exchange for a new Achilles this year. For the money, I don't think you can go wrong with Achilles.
Old 07-17-2008, 12:51 AM   #10
Commander

Thanks all,

I'll try to include a photo of Friendship and her new dinghy below for all to view. We just spent seven days aboard and were able to finish many of the upgrades planned. The photo was taken at her freshwater mooring on Stockton Lake where she is being prepared for future cruising on the salt.

Click image for larger version

Name:	m_Friendship_Moored.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	528

Tags
dinghy