Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > The Bosun's Locker > Other Equipment
Cruiser Wiki

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 01-04-2006, 09:56 PM   #29
Commander

There is currently a helpful thread on this topic at the SSCA Discussion Board - http://ssca.org/sscabb/index.php?action=vt...um=6&topic=2309 To quote from one very experienced contributor: "First, [the Pardeys] also have an extremely full keel and no roller furling which both help. Second, they use different technique (the bridle) than the manufacturers primarily suggest (straight over the bow). The bridle technique is even more difficult to implement on a biggish boat there is no stock snatch block available that is strong enough to handle the loads so you need to use a somewhat different approach (a spliced bridle) and finding chafe free/strong enough attachment points for this bridle (which can take loads of about 75% of displacement) is difficult." BTW this was from a fellow who spend a good deal of time in the Chelian Canals with the Pardeys and discussed all this with them.

For those who have access to the USA's Cruising World magazine, there are two excellent articles by Beth Leonard in the Dec issue on rigging, deploying and recovering a drogue, and on forereaching & heavying to as storm tactics. These are excellent because Beth and her partner Evans (the fellow I quoted above) have sailed many miles in the Southern Ocean and elsewhere and so their experience base is deep. This becomes clear when the describe how all these techniques vary considerably in their influence on the boat, just as Bruce points out, because the boats themselves vary so greatly (let alone the sea conditions).

To modify something John stated, drogues (both low speed and medium speed) have a very different purpose than a chute anchor. One carries them for different reasons and so it's not a simple matter of which of the three you pick from, altho' that's in fact often what happens.

John, because you said "If anyone out there has positive experence using a sea anchor on a medium / light displacement monohull I'd love to hear about it..." I encourage you to get a copy of Victor Shane's Drag Device Data Base (ed. 4 or later) which is filled with first-hand accounts of using all 3 devices, by vessels varying in side, # of hulls, and rigs. I find those accounts to be extremely provocative for me in ID'ing issues and thinking through choices. I'm sure you would, too.

Jack

Old 07-03-2014, 02:57 PM   #30
Ready, Willing, and Able

Home Port: Fort Worth

2014 Thread About Drogues in Storm Tactics

Howdy folks!

I just came across this old (started in 2005, last post in 2006) thread about Sea Anchors and Drogues. I read it with interest, as it is a good topic regarding seamanship. However, it does seem to be a bit dated (most of the links provided do not work).

Before finding this thread, I started a different one on similar topic. I have included working links to USCG reports on use of Drogues at sea (the US Coast Guard did extensive testing of various designs of drogues including parachute and cone and series styles).

I encourage you to look over the linked USCG report and to read it carefully. Some of the results of their testing were critical to see. In short, very important info for sailors whose lives may depend on the use of a device like this.

Here is a link to the JUNE 2014 thread I started on this topic (Storm Tactics: Sea Anchors vs. Drogues). The link is to a thread on THIS site (CL).

http://www.cruiserlog.com/forums/f12...ogue-8401.html

Tags
anchor