Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > The Bosun's Locker > Other Equipment
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 04-28-2009, 02:04 AM   #1
Ensign

Send a message via AIM to weetamo44 Send a message via Yahoo to weetamo44

This week's job for my Morgan 33 Out Island is to replace the 50 gallon fuel tank (steel) which is riddled with holes. The yard said we wouldn't be able to get it out, but we did. Any ideas about what the tank should or shouldn't be made from?

Sharon

Old 04-28-2009, 03:31 AM   #2
Admiral

Sharon

The most common material used in the manufacture of Diesel fuel tanks is aluminium coated steel

(Aluminized steel) The worlds diesel truck and automobile fuel tanks have this material as standard.

For your Morgan - without having the faintest idea as to the shape of the tank you have removed (presume that it was not a rectangular box shape) have you considered more than one tank to replace the 50 gal tank ?? A couple of smaller tanks might be easier to replace - connected so that fuel from flows to the other then to the engine.

If you have to fabricate a tank/s, and if there are outfits that can weld aluminium - consider making it/them from aluminium sheet , make sure that there is inspection/cleaning apertures.

And of course fibre glass tanks are an option. What about WEST (Wood Epoxy Saturation Technique) Check this site for guidance HERE

Richard

Old 04-29-2009, 12:17 AM   #3
Admiral

Several years ago we were asked to deliver a friend's sailing catamaran to Annapolis for the boat show. We got to the boat yard where his boat was on the hard to find that all the diesel had leaked out of the aluminum fuel tank. The yard pulled the tank out (not easy, because it was glassed in, construction completed after the tank was installed and plumbed. Turns out that some debris had found its way under the tank. Debris such as some copper wire from a sloppy wiring job, a tab-top from a soft drink can, a copper penny, and some other unidentified trash. Electrolysis ate pinholes in the bottom of the tank. That convinced me that I would never put an aluminum tank into my boat.

He ordered a plastic tank and was very happy with it.

Here are links to two suppliers I found just doing a Google search for "plastic fuel tanks"

http://www.incaproducts.com/site/pro...fueltanks.aspx

http://www.oceanlinkinc.com/tanks/gas-diesel.htm

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 12:36 AM   #4
Admiral

Jeanne,

What excellent websites - we should keep for our database.

Richard
Old 06-01-2009, 08:19 AM   #5
Ensign

Hello

We have had this boat for 5 years it was built in 1980 and carries 300ltrs of diesel fuel in one tank, the tank is a fiberglass construction and so far shows no signs of failing,

all the best.
Old 08-07-2009, 11:12 AM   #6
Ensign

Send a message via AIM to overproof Send a message via Yahoo to overproof

I live in australia , I left the boat 6 months and when i returned the bilge was full of diesel.

I tracked it down to corrision in the alloy tank, and quite a big hole, it was brought on by the diesel inlet cover on deck, it had a worn out rubber type O ring seal, which let a fair bit of water settle on the bottom of the tank.

I sorted out the options for replacement and opted for the replacement tank made to order, out of plastic. I'm totaly sold that is the way to go, no corrision problems, lighter than metal, and the level is easy seen thru the plastic, even better when a light is shone on the top or sides.

Warango tanks in Sydney gave me the best quote, but don't expect delivery for 2 weeks if it is custom made.
Old 08-07-2009, 11:19 AM   #7
Admiral

Overproof,

Gives us a contact for Warango in Sydney -- would be useful for Aussie cruisers
Old 09-30-2009, 11:03 AM   #8
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by weetamo44 View Post
This week's job for my Morgan 33 Out Island is to replace the 50 gallon fuel tank (steel) which is riddled with holes. The yard said we wouldn't be able to get it out, but we did. Any ideas about what the tank should or shouldn't be made from?

Sharon
As it is allowed in my country I laminated three layers glass with EPOXY in 2 unused compartments in my Catamaran and never ever had a problem (since 1988). Though not really necessary I painted the inside with fuel grade epoxy paint too (Jotun, that is what you find in the big tankers).

Something else unusual I did: no sump, but big filters, no sump no dirt stirred up in heavy sea, no condensing water, filters are drained daily, but mostly nothing
Old 01-20-2015, 12:24 AM   #9
Ensign

Home Port: Townsville
Vessel Name: Overproof

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMNETSEA View Post
Overproof,

Gives us a contact for Warango in Sydney -- would be useful for Aussie cruisers
sorry being so late, I spelt the name wrong They are called Wrengco Tanks
Custom Made Holding Tanks for storage Marine, Boat, Holding, Yacht, Campervan, Caravan, RV, Motorhome - Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide, Perth, Brisbane, Queensland. Australia

based in Sydney Australia.
Old 01-22-2015, 04:28 AM   #10

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

Thanks for the link--better late than never, right?

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 12:17 AM   #11
Admiral

Home Port: Bundarra, NSW
Vessel Name: None

Over five years? That's gotta be a record.

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: All sections
haiqu is offline   Reply With Quote