Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > The Bosun's Locker > Other Equipment
Cruiser Wiki

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 07-26-2009, 05:06 AM   #15
Ensign

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seafarer View Post
I am in the market for a plow anchor and was wondering which of the designs were better.

CQR anchors have a hinged shank, while Delta anchors have a fixed shank.

While the hinge seems like a Good Idea, it does add complexity and possibly a weak / wear point.

Any comments?
The CQR, first of the old generation small boat anchors is about the worst possible type of anchor available these days, and considering the price of the genuine item represent by far the poorest value.

From your query, the Delta anchor is a substantially better performing anchor.

That said, plows in general are now hopelessly outdated, as any small amount of research into independent testing and user feedback would demonstrate.

Old 07-31-2009, 04:02 AM   #16
Commander

Says the man with the Manson Supreme as his avatar

I've heard that the Delta's design gives it "slightly superior" holding power, but not "substantially better".

Also, I can pick up a used-but-in-great-condition 60lb CQR with 130' of 3/8th BBB and 100' of rope for $300, which is less than the cost of a Manson Supreme alone.

Fortunately, being "hopelessly outdated" doesn't mean ineffective. Thousands of plow anchors are still out doing the job and doing it well. When (if) I have enough "extra" money around to spend on a Manson, I certainly will. But that day will be long in coming.

Until then, cheap, used anchors will have to hold my boat in place. Now I just need to find a cheap place to get them hot-dipped, or I'll be going to the local powder-coating place instead.

Old 03-25-2010, 06:20 PM   #17
Commander

My danforth began dragging after I moved my boat into the river with its shifting currents and mud bottom. This prompted me to save up and buy a better anchor before the boat ended up under a bridge....

I ended up selling my 45lb CQR for a small profit, and eventually bought a 55lb Rocna. It cost $700 + tax & shipping, plus another $100 for a fancy swivel, but my boat has held through 50 knot winds with no trouble.

My 24', 6,000lb boat got a 44lb Claw for $100 and it has stayed put as well. Eventually I'll buy a 35lb Rocna to replace the Claw.
Old 03-25-2010, 09:03 PM   #18
Ensign

Little bit expensive than others but has really good performans...

http://www.boyutmarine.com/index.php...emid=9&lang=en

Fair wind
Old 03-26-2010, 11:09 AM   #19
Lieutenant

[media][/media]

I've got a huge (50kg ?) CQR but these videos did change my mind. I get rather irritated with the overpriced, agressively marketed Rocnas of this world (a copy of the much more affordable Buegel anchor from Germany) but the CQR's look & hinge just suggest the precise behaviour apparent from these videos.

The CQR was one of the earliest high holding power anchors, hence it's the most popular one. That's hardly an indicator of good design though.

Tags
anchor