Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > The Bosun's Locker > Other Equipment
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 05-10-2008, 01:23 PM   #1
Andrew

I'm looking for a Blondie Hasler trim tab self steering vane/or plans
Old 11-22-2008, 06:36 PM   #2
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
Hi Andrew, Have a look at the Flemming wind vane, ours gave us great service on a 6 yr circumnavigation (all stainless steel).

Cheers,

Alan

Old 11-22-2008, 07:19 PM   #3
Lieutenant

Home Port: Hull
Vessel Name: Tadpole

I recently found a used Aries selfsteer very cheap ... before that I was about to buy a MisterVee system ... check them out, I believe there is no better system available for the same price ... www.mistervee.com
Old 11-26-2008, 04:52 AM   #4
Ensign

Send a message via Yahoo to mtuttyx2

Andrew - If you are looking for windvanes, I have two. One is an old Flemming (I think!) that I would give up for $100 but you have to pay shipping (I'm in the Seattle area). I also have an Aries Windvane that I bought in 93 from a guy who just returned from a circumnavigation. He bought it new in 85. It has some extra parts as well. I would like to get $1,300 for it and you would have to pay shipping again.

Michael & Mary
Old 02-19-2009, 04:18 PM   #5
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
Why? These things are expensive and excessively complex IMHO. Here's a better system, and it integrates seamlessly with both manual and linear ram drives as well:

1. You have a transom mounted semi-balanced rudder with an open stainless pipe rising on the axis.

2. Mount a trim-tab on the trailing edge of this rudder with a tiller at 90 degrees and rod connected to it by a bolt.

3. The wind vane sits in the tube with cog on it.

4 The trim tab rod connects to an arm also mounted on the wind vane post which has a track on it.

5. A worm drive is mounted on a car on the track.

6. A shock cord engages the worm with the cog, completing the coupling.

7. A rope with a cleat disengages the vane.

8. The worm can be adjusted whilst operating by turning it, changing the engagement angle

(or just disengage, steer boat, then re-engage).

This system allows a tiny wind vane to drive a massive boat, because the wind vane is directly coupled to the trim tab, which makes it move in the "wrong" direction with no effort, since the trim tab is quite small. The trim tab can also be driven by a linear ram from a tiller autopilot of the smallest size (uses almost no electricity) coupled to the rudder (not to the boat!)

The trim tab drives the trailing edge of the rudder in the opposite direction to its own trailing edge, which then steers the boat in the right direction. The torque of the trim tab is the product of its area and distance from the rudder axis (and so it can be as small as you like if you're willing to trail it far enough behind the main rudder).

Because the drive is not coupling the rudder to the boat, it can be simultaneously steered manually without disengaging the autopilot (but you will be fighting the torque of the trim tab).

Note the wind system is instantly responsive, so it will track the smallest wind shifts faithfully .. which may not be desirable.
Old 02-19-2009, 05:36 PM   #6

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yttrill View Post
Why? These things are expensive and excessively complex IMHO. Here's a better system, and it integrates seamlessly with both manual and linear ram drives as well
Is this the type you have on your own boat? If so, do you have pics of your installation?

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 02:05 PM   #7
Ensign

Good afternoon,

perhaps it might be useful to read the book SELFSTEERING UNDER SAIL, which is available as FREE DOWNLOAD from the Windpilot website, mentioning any typ of vane gear incl. manufacturer adresses / website of any manufacturer worldwide.

The book mentions any ever built mechanical gear, incl. Hasler., also containing a list of any ever been built gear since invention of this kind of gear.

kind regards

Peter Foerthmann

www.windpilot.com
Old 03-02-2009, 11:40 PM   #8
Ensign

[QUOTE=name='mtuttyx2' date='Nov 26 2008, 01:52 AM' post='28115']

Andrew - If you are looking for windvanes, I have two. One is an old Flemming (I think!) that I would give up for $100 but you have to pay shipping (I'm in the Seattle area). I also have an Aries Windvane that I bought in 93 from a guy who just returned from a circumnavigation. He bought it new in 85. It has some extra parts as well. I would like to get $1,300 for it and you would have to pay shipping again.

Michael & Ma

Did you sell this item. If you did not could you send me more information on it to see if it would fit on my boat.

Thanks.

Paul