Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > The Bosun's Locker > Other Equipment
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 09-18-2008, 10:10 PM   #1
Rear Admiral

As a loyal Yamaha lover who is suddenly thrust into shopping for a new outboard engine in a region where Yamahas are very scarce... I am being offered an attractive deal on a brand new Tohatsu 18 hp two stroke outboard.

Do any of you own a Tohatsu outboard engine... and if so... are you a satisfied with it? Would you buy another one?

I am being offered a slightly used Yamaha 15 Enduro at about the same price and I am at a quandry about which to purchase.

Suggestions?

Thanks,

Kirk

Old 09-18-2008, 10:57 PM   #2
Lieutenant

Hello Yamaha lover,

I also swear by Yamaha, any Yamaha! I bought a new 8 HP Nissan/ Tohatsu 4 stroke a few years back. I know your deal is with a 2 stroke, however I just wanted to add that I fell in love with the Tohatsu/Nissan brand very quickly. It was super reliable and easily serviced. I had absolutely no problems until it was stolen in San Diego at one of the dinghy docks. I too bought it because it was a deal I couldn't pass up. I would be surprised if the two stroke is any different in quality or reliability.

I would consider parts availability in the areas which you will be cruising. I have heard that Yamaha's are Everywhere in the world so parts may be easier to find. Tohatsu not so popular or widespread. That would be my only hesitation. If your like me, I buy all the parts that usually go first and carry a "spares" pelican box. Ie- Spark Plugs, zincs, coil, impeller, filters, etc. That way you have some chance of getting going without going to the parts counter.

Good luck, Steve

For the truth is that I already know as much about my fate as I need to know. The day will come when I will die. So the only matter of consequence before me is what I will do with my alloted time. I can remain on shore, paralyzed with fear, or I can raise my sails and dip and soar in the breeze.

- RICHARD BODE
islandseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 11:25 PM   #3
Admiral

Hi Kirk,

Plenty of Tohatso's in my part of the world - don't hear any complaints.

Couple of questions :

18Hp 4 stroke 2 cyl elect start 12v charger ( not 2 stroke ) ???? $2645 ?

The dinghy you buy will have a transom plate that limits the HP eg if it shows max 15 - then probs with Coast Guard and insurance if you have 18 ?????

I don't suppose there is much difference in weight between the Yamaha and the Tohatso ?

Is the Yamaha 15 Enduro elec start ? is the enduro higher revving than standard model ?

Richard
Old 09-19-2008, 02:35 AM   #4
Ensign

Home Port: Hollywood
Vessel Name: Poerava
Send a message via Yahoo to Tellie

I have the Tohatsu 2cyl 18hp. It came with the boat when I bought her two years ago for the tender. The PO bought it a year before I came along in St Marteen for I believe $2300 new. I have the reciept somewhere if it's important. It fires up on the first pull or two and runs great. It planes my 12' AB with three people and a small load no problem. So far no problems with about 200 hours run time. If I needed another one and could find a 2cyl replacement I wouldn't hesitate.
Old 09-19-2008, 11:32 PM   #5
Rear Admiral

Thanks for all of your input, Everyone!

Budget Marine has 18 hp Tohatsu two strokes w/ manual start on sale here in Trinidad at a marvelously attractive price of $1575 USD!

However - today I purchased a slightly used, well cared-for Yamaha 15 Enduro with spare parts and custom cover for a bit less money... and dropped it onto a brand spanking new 10 ft AB "Lite" which can handle up to 25 hp. I'm gonna thru-bolt the engine to the transom tomorrow, as the boat & engine travel well in the stern arch / davits. This arrangement also makes changing the oil in the lower unit a breeze and reduces the need to apply bottom paint.

Some rascals stole our old yellow Caribe & Yamaha one week ago (tonight) here in Chaguaramas. "Lift It, Lock It or Loose It" is the Battle Cry in these parts. I got lazy and lost our trusty "Love Me Tender" within 72 hours of arrival... but I'm not gonna let the incident rain on my carnaval.

To Life!

Kirk