Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > The Bosun's Locker > Other Equipment
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 08-17-2008, 08:41 PM   #1
Ensign

I presently have a Maxwell 1500 vertical windlass that has never really worked well. It jams in the tube almost every time during retrieval. I am considering Maxwell HWC1500 horizontal windlass but would like feedback on any windlass that is "bullet-proof". I have a all 3/8" BBB short link, all chain rode.

Thanks,

Nancy

Old 08-17-2008, 09:00 PM   #2

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueketch View Post
I presently have a Maxwell 1500 vertical windlass that has never really worked well. It jams in the tube almost every time during retrieval. I am considering Maxwell HWC1500 horizontal windlass but would like feedback on any windlass that is "bullet-proof". I have a all 3/8" BBB short link, all chain rode.

Thanks,

Nancy
You might look into getting the next larger size chain pipe (the thru-deck part) for your windlass and see if that fixes the problem. There may be some other problem with geometry as well. You could get in touch with Maxwell about installation requirements. I've recently been in touch with the manufacturer of our windlass to go over fairlead requirements, for example, lateral feed to the windlass can only be off 3 degrees on our horizontal windlass...vertical windlasses (I've heard) are much more forgiving of fairlead...

We've got a 32 volt heavy duty Ideal brand horizontal windlass that is considered pretty bulletproof and we're rebuilding it right now before re-installing it on the boat (new brake, new grease fittings, repaint the case, etc) . We'll be changing out the chain stripper for one (from Maxwell, actually) that is integrated into the naval pipe that goes thru the deck. Our naval pipe was all rusted away and we just happened to get a new looking (used) bronze one at a local re-sell shop. We have 1/2" BBB all chain rode, btw.

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 01:08 AM   #3
Admiral

Hi ,

Here is what Maxwell says about the 1500 vertical :-

"• Integral chain pipe and stripper are aligned for virtually jam-free operation

providing automatic feed of chain into and out of the anchor locker."

As your is jamming continuously - here is their email add : info#maxwellmarine.com

You might like to check the below deck entrance for the incoming chain while someone operates the windlass, there should be an uninterrupted freefall of chain into the locker.

Another thing to eliminate as a problem is the chain itself - is it Short Link ? Is it BBB ? Has the Chain been stretched? A long length should be measured to determine this accurately.

Richard
Old 08-19-2008, 04:12 PM   #4

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMNETSEA View Post
Hi ,

Here is what Maxwell says about the 1500 vertical :-

"• Integral chain pipe and stripper are aligned for virtually jam-free operation

providing automatic feed of chain into and out of the anchor locker."

As your is jamming continuously - here is their email add : info#maxwellmarine.com

You might like to check the below deck entrance for the incoming chain while someone operates the windlass, there should be an uninterrupted freefall of chain into the locker.

Another thing to eliminate as a problem is the chain itself - is it Short Link ? Is it BBB ? Has the Chain been stretched? A long length should be measured to determine this accurately.

Richard
Richard,

It depends on whether the windlass in question is VW series or VWC for integral chainpipe and chain stripper. I assumed VW since it appears the VWC would be difficult to jam--unless wrong gypsy for the 3/8" bbb chain or unless bad geometry like no free-fall as you've noted.

Brenda

vw link

vwc link

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 12:12 AM   #5
Rear Admiral

I'm certainly no expert, but...

gypsy's and chain strippers do wear out eventually.

I seem to recall that the stripper is adjustable on your model windlass and a new one can easily be fabricated from a small piece of flat stainless plate.

We replaced an ancient manual windldass with a Maxwell horizontal model on our last old boat and it changed our cruising lifestyle!

We threw away an old, broken Maxwell vertical windlass which came on our new old boat and replaced it with a much larger Lofrans vertical windlass for less cost than a replacement Maxwell.

I find the beauty of a vertical windlass is that it can easily be employed for wharping the vessel around in tight spots and can easily haul my fat old body up the mast. I suppose I can even use it to raise our mainsail when I get too old and and / or lazy to do any more heavy lifting.

And I believe a vertical windlass makes for a much tidier foredeck.

Lastly - if you switch to horizontal you may need to replace or lengthen the power conductors.

To Life!

Kirk