Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Regional Cruising > Pacific & Australasia > Pacific Severe Weather
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 01-04-2011, 09:17 AM   #1
Admiral

I got a message that some 70 boats were lost in the last few days in the serious floods that caused havoc in Bundaberg north of Brisbane Queensland Australia.

Old 01-04-2011, 11:20 AM   #2
Admiral

International News reports carry similar :- C L I C K

Old 01-04-2011, 11:57 AM   #3
Retired Mod

Home Port: Durban

So sad to hear.

The World Cruising & Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online World Cruising Guide.

"Built by cruisers, for cruisers''

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Most sections
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 12:36 AM   #4
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMNETSEA View Post

I got a message that some 70 boats were lost in the last few days in the serious floods that caused havoc in Bundaberg north of Brisbane Queensland Australia.
Morning all. G'day Richard, Bob & others. Got the above 3 hrs ago & thought someone would pick it up - Now I will. Yacht damage is not receiving much coverage because of the scale of the rest of the damage. Anyone interested can type into your 'search engine' Bundaberg Qld Australia flood damage yachts & get a few pictures. O M G what a mess.Glad my cat is in Darwin. (that's 3 1/2 thou ks north).

I know this is 'off topic in these forums however I thought y'all might be interested to compare our LITTLE hardships to something like this. The area under flood (& expanding as I type) is over 800,640 sq kilometers which is the size of the state of New South Wales where most of this water will go into over the next month. The size of France is 552,000 sq. kilometers; Germany is 356,959 sq k; Spain is 504,782 sq k; Florida is 170,304 sq k; California is 507,700 sq k, So in the big picture - collectively non of us have a very big problem at all. I'm just taking a break from making 'storm-boards' for our house which is 350 mtrs above sea level. 1" (25mm) thick marine ply c/w 2 - 2x4's on edge - glued & screwed, so when we flood I can try to keep the water on the outside. Front door 'storm-board is 8x4 (1200x2400) the other 2 doors are only 32" (810 mm) & 45" (1150 mm) wide & all are 4' (1200 mm) high - epoxy coated c/w compression rubber all way round & screwed into the walls when needed. O M G What fun but not serious.

Road to property is 10' (3100 mm) under water - has been for 3 weeks & will be for at least a month more & - & more rain to come - Oh goodie.. There are over 200,000 people directly effected & the cost is rising by the hour, now some where over 20 billion dollars & the world coal & wheat markets will not recover in under 6 months even with the 'guy upstairs' on our side. No cyclones as yet so all is GOOD. That's all the rubbish from me - down-under, SR - jj
Old 01-05-2011, 04:32 AM   #5
Zog
Ensign

Trouble is, the whole state is soaking wet now, all the storage dams are full, so it wouldn't take as much rain to bring about the same situation again. Here's hoping it doesn't happen, but it's looking like a very wet Summer for Northern Australia. Rockhampton is copping the brunt of it now, but many places have had it just as bad, Emerald, Theodore, Bundy as well as many smaller towns upstream. We lost a few personal things that we had stored in a shed in Emerald, but nothing we can't do without. Many people have lost their homes and most of their possessions.
Old 01-05-2011, 07:32 AM   #6

Send a message via AIM to delatbabel

One of the reasons that the floods last so long in these areas is that the area is so low-lying, and is drained by rivers that flow very slowly on world standards.

So, for example, have a look at a map of the Murray-Darling river system, here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Mu...-map_MJC02.png

The land at the headwaters of the Darling river, in the Darling downs in southern Queensland, is only 100m higher than the mouth of the Murray river near Adelaide in South Australia.

Many of Australia's inland river systems are similar, with water only flowing out of the rivers very slowly and flooding lasting a long time when it does happen.