Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Regional Cruising > Pacific & Australasia > Pacific Severe Weather
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 11-26-2014, 03:40 AM   #1
Ocean Senior Sailor

Home Port: Auckland
Default Sailing the South Pacific 2014 - 2015 Cyclone Season

Fellow yachtsman and cruisers sailing in the South Pacific during the 2014 -2015 Cyclone season.

Here is a cyclone warning severe weather site that should interest you. Remember there ia always early storms and late storms.

Also some valuable information should you have the misfortune but be safely rescued by search and rescue re Helicopter rescues.

If you are going to sail the cyclone zones please make sure you have a parachute anchor and have practiced setting the thing.

The site also has links to beach web cams if you have satellite equipment so you can view / zoom on the conditions to harbour entrances or bars.

Pleasant and safe sailing always.

Web site
cyclone warning for the south pacific Cyclone season 2014 to 2015 and sever extreme weather happenings warnings droughts thunder storms perfect storms fork lightning flash flooding torential rain mud slides rivers bursting banks with beach web cams l

Old 11-26-2014, 06:46 AM   #2

Send a message via AIM to delatbabel

Hi Phil,
Not taking issue with the weather forecasts but I'm unconvinced that a parachute anchor is the best strategy in a tropical storm. It depends a lot on the boat but having set and retrieved a para anchor now (in storm conditions) and also a series drogue (as a test) I am now convinced that if your boat is capable of taking stern waves then the series drogue is by far the best choice.

I would also contend that if your boat is not capable of taking stern waves then it shouldn't be afloat during the cyclone season but that's another discussion entirely.

Old 05-23-2017, 10:24 AM   #3
Ensign

Home Port: Chalong Bay,Phuket

Ahoy! I need go from Phuket to New Zealand
or Australia. I have many visas and money for food and water. If you know anybody, who
need a sailor, cook, photographer, barber, nightwatch,massager; please, tell him about me: marchukov444444@mail.ru

Thank so much and bless you God!!!!!!!

Tags
pacific, sail, sailing, south pacific

« Roaring 40's | - »