Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Regional Cruising > SE Asia, The Red Sea & Indian Ocean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 04-25-2016, 05:09 PM   #1
Ensign

Home Port: ha noi
Default Private Cruising Lessons - Wanted

Good Day,

I’m a Canadian living in Vietnam and I would like to work with someone, preferably one on one to further my sailing abilities.

Other than my abilities as a pilot, I sailed in my teens through level 1-5 on lasers & mirrors. I have some keel boat experience on an overnight race but that’s it.

My plan is to buy a boat and base it in Asia to eventually live on and sail around Asia between flying jobs a few months of the year.

I was thinking, other than the obvious self study I can do, I would really like to do 5 days on the water with someone, a day each side for travel from Ha Noi as I only can leave my current contract for 7 days at a time. Prefer Thailand, Malaysia or Singapore. Vietnam or Cambodia it the option exists.

Is this available?

Old 04-29-2016, 11:05 PM   #2
Tom

Home Port: Lake Macquarie
Vessel Name: La Contessa
Send a message via Skype™ to Toomas
Default cruising lessons required

I am a qualified sailing instructor but live in Australia. Too far for your purposes I guess. I am however happy to do a trip to Asia to help you out if it suits you. It would entail taking on a charter boat in a suitable location and the lessons could be done on that. it would work out a bit on the rich side however if there were 3 or 4 other people needing the same thing the cost would be divided.
Think if you have enough contacts that would share a charter and I can make myself available.
Subjects we would cover.
Using paper charts & compasses
Introduction to celestial navigation (noon sites)
Radio procedures
Anchoring, heaving to
Sail sets and reefing
Cruising permits
Victualing, cooking, menus suitable for cruising
My websites www.discoversailingschool.com
www.maritimetutor@iconosites.com

I hope this has been helpful

Tom Nelson
Attached Files

Toomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 08:28 PM   #3
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

There are many sailing teachers, schools and clubs in Asia. One of the best can b e contacted through Rebak Marina in Malaysia. Thailand has a strong sailing community as does Singapore. But malaysia would be my pick. Do a quick bit of Google research and I feel sure you will find what you are looking for.

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising