Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Regional Cruising > The Med, Atlantic & Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 08-15-2014, 02:54 PM   #1
Ensign

Home Port: Pozzuoli
Default Hammamet - Tunisia

Just joined the forum!

Heading into Hammamet next week.

Anyone been there recently?

Issues? Secrets?

Thanks.

Old 08-16-2014, 12:53 AM   #2
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

Hi John, Welcome. At the top of the page you will see a logo for The Cruising Wiki. There is some information there for Tunisia and for Hammamet. Here's the link:
Search - a Cruising Guide on the World Cruising and Sailing Wiki
There is a search function for the Wiki, if you have need for further destination information. Also we actively solicit data regarding destinations. If you have something to share in the future, please make a contribution.
Best wishes,

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 03:49 AM   #3
Ensign

Thanks Auzzee.

I know about the cruising wiki, and already made some small contributions
Old 08-24-2014, 11:24 AM   #4
Ensign

Added a small narrative and some pictures from our recent visit: Marina Hammamet - a Cruising Guide on the World Cruising and Sailing Wiki
Old 08-24-2014, 10:03 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to delatbabel

I'm really interested to read about the clear and obvious corruption on the part of the officials implied by what you wrote.

Some of your text in your narrative could probably be better included as separate sections in the Marina page, or in the Yasmine Hammamet page or perhaps even on the Tunisia main page (especially the sections about clearing in, etc). I'm currently doing a major edit on a number of South Pacific pages, do you mind if I appropriate some of your narrative text into the City/Country pages as a tidy up later? If you don't get around to it yourself first, of course.
Old 08-25-2014, 09:14 AM   #6
Ensign

Interesting. I wasn't trying to state/imply corruption, just to point out to those not familiar with the area to expect things to operate differently than they had experienced elsewhere in the world.

This kind of tipping/gifting (and I'm avoiding the more common brand-name/label that can be interpreted as negative) is very common in certain parts of the world. Not calling it positive or negative, just it is what it is.

After I read your post here I rewrote my contribution to the wiki, lest more people see my text as negative or condescending. Let me know what you think. I don’t want to convince people not to visit, but at the same time they should be prepared. Also I don’t want to paint a target on myself either…Any advice is welcome.

Yes I saw there were two pages, one for Yasmine and one for Marina. I didn't want to negate someone else's work, but did arbitrarily picked one to add to.

I’m still new to the wiki and to the coding that is used so I didn’t get too ambitious with changing what was already there format/label wise.

You can use whatever you like as you see fit.
Old 08-25-2014, 08:23 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Casey View Post
This kind of tipping/gifting (and I'm avoiding the more common brand-name/label that can be interpreted as negative) is very common in certain parts of the world. Not calling it positive or negative, just it is what it is.
Offering tips or gifts isn't unusual. In a country like Australia, if an official actually asked for a gift as part of the check in process then that would land them in jail. I'm not saying there's anything very negative about it, but it would come as a surprise to a lot of travellers from here because it's completely not what we would expect. We don't even tip much, if at all.
Old 08-25-2014, 08:39 PM   #8

OK, I've updated the marina page a bit and transferred some information across to the city/port page: Yasmine Hammamet - a Cruising Guide on the World Cruising and Sailing Wiki Please check it out and adjust anything you like (or think is incorrect due to my bad copy/paste/edit).
Old 08-25-2014, 08:54 PM   #9

One other edit that you can do yourself (and do this on all other pages in the wiki that you edit), is to go to the bottom section of the page and press "Edit", then after the text that says "Contributors to this page" and then "Names:" put three tildes at the end of the line, like this: ~~~

When you save the page that will expand to your name and a link back to your personal page on the wiki. You can even edit that personal page to have links back to your blog, photos of your boat and sailing trip, etc. Have a look at mine as an example: Userelatbabel - a Cruising Guide on the World Cruising and Sailing Wiki

Thanks for the contributions, by the way. Every little bit of information helps to grow the wiki into a better resource for everyone. Where are you off to next after Tunisia?
Old 09-13-2014, 06:05 AM   #10
Ensign

I think we're likely to try the Pontine Islands in October when I can get some time off work, and the locals find it too cold