Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Regional Cruising > The Med, Atlantic & Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 06-16-2016, 12:42 AM   #1
Ensign

Home Port: Blountstown
Default I Need Help Planning!

Hey there!

Okay here is the deal! I am Confuse and New to this sailing Life! Right now I am saving, researching and planning on buyying a sailboat in 3 years! And I have been looking around for a good sailboat under 30 ft! And I really like the hunter 28.5 to 29.5 ft sailboats! But here is what I am confuse about people are saying that no and yes or depends on size and whatnot and I cant seem to get a straight answer! So can I or can I not sail this sailboat from panama city Florida on down thru the keys all the way to the virgin islands and places like that! Mainly staying in the gulf? And can I do so Safely or do I have to have a bigger boat? Or is it something else? Also remember I am new to sailing! So I do not know anything about what makes a good boat and what doesnt! But I do know that I really do not want a boat bigger than 30 ft due to my budget! I am also planning to live abroad with a small dog under 15 lbs and also maybe hopefully one day a female companion/partner/mate! So please any insight and help pointing me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

Old 06-16-2016, 02:53 AM   #2
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

The length of the boat is more an issue of comfort than suitability. A good 30' voyaging boat, rigged for offshore work is better than a 50' boat designed for day sailing inshore, being pressed into offshore service.

Take a look, for instance, at Bill Shaw's Pearson 30. It's a sturdy little craft which will take you around the world if you prepare it well. There are plenty available, see here:
Pearson 303 boats for sale - YachtWorld
Also, look here at some videos of Pearson 30s.
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=pearson+30
The Pearson is one of many great, small cruising boats that will take you from Florida, through the Keys and on to The Bahamas and the Caribbean Sea.

30' boats can, and do, go anywhere. The smaller the boat however, the less space there is aboard for creature comforts. But, the smaller the boat, the less expensive maintenance becomes. Keep us posted on your progress and welcome to the board.

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 02:22 PM   #3
Ensign

Home Port: Blountstown

Wow yea that is a nice boat! I guess I forgot to mention my Budget! I am disabled and on low income so my budget is about $6500! That is why I was looking at the hunters I saw one for $6000 and only needed a bottom paint job and a few cosmetic things! Also I really love the horse shoe lounge in the 28.5 or 29.5 hunters! but I guess I could live without it! But I really want it to have a good lounge area! I did not really like the Pearson 303 layout! But will admit it does look like a nice strong boat! Sadly the cheapest I have found was $14,000 that is out of my price range! the most I could go is $8000 and that is a maybe! Thanks