I'm brand new and haven't even gotten my feet wet. I'm reading everything on cats and tris including the ads. On all the boat classifieds this 89' tri comes up. Comparing it with cats of the same size it would seem that this is lacking in the sail area department. I have read articles about keels versus dagger boards and wetted area and displacement and more and I come to the conclusion that this boat may be very slow. So here's my questions.
1. Is it slow compared to most cruising cats?
2. What would be it's top speed and cruising speed under sail?
3. Would it be as sail (sea) worthy as a big Lagoon or other keel cat especially in heavy weather?
4. Could it point as high?
5. Would it be as fast as a monohull cruiser?
6. It seems that the beam is a little narrow for its length. Would this make it a little tippy.
7. Would a new sail rig or square top sail increase performance?
By comparing this one with cats of similar size it gives more of education for me to balance the differences and costs between cats and tris.
I apologize for my naivety but this is how one learns. I am not trying to denigrate this boat in anyway. I tried to post a link but this danged internet thing gets me sometimes. Here is the address.
Trimarans for sale