Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > The Multihull Club
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 06-20-2011, 02:58 PM   #1
Lieutenant

Bonjour encore!

Just came across a statement by a fellow that indicates that aluminum hulls are counterindicated for hulls under 50' as there is a "weight penalty and a cost penalty"

From BoatDesign.net

Would folks be inclined to agree with this statement? I was looking through one of the recent copies of Blue Water Sailing (June 2011)and ran across and ran across an article about a cat built by David DeVilliers (a South African living in New Zealand) for a family from the United States. They had a custom built 62' (~30' beam) built from aluminum and I really liked some of the things they had to say about aluminum. Elcie In particular, I liked the strength and ease of construction that they were touting. Mind you, I think 62' would be a bit of overkill for me - nor do I think I could afford it at any point.

My question is what do people think of aluminum catamarans under 50'? Is aluminum as bad an idea as this fellow makes on?

Ottawa, Canada
KevinBarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 12:54 AM   #2
Lieutenant

Cricket cricket. {shameless bump}

Ottawa, Canada
Old 07-12-2011, 10:14 AM   #3
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinBarr View Post

Bonjour encore!

Just came across a statement by a fellow that indicates that aluminum hulls are counterindicated for hulls under 50' as there is a "weight penalty and a cost penalty"

From BoatDesign.net

My question is what do people think of aluminum catamarans under 50'? Is aluminum as bad an idea as this fellow makes on?
That single statement "aluminum hulls are counterindicated for hulls under 50' as there is a "weight penalty and a cost penalty" without any supporting evidence or fact, is the kind that demonstrates the writer's ignorance or unfounded bias.

The comment was made some 5 years ago to a general inquiry. In the meantime the Southern Hemisphere's Australia, New Zealand and South Africa - had pioneered light weight catamarans with many designers specifically using Aluminium for the hulls and superstructure. In Australia there are many Aluminum catamarans being built, being sailed, being beached. Just off hand I can name Tim Mumby's Catamarans (including "Trim" which is busy doing a fast circumnavigation) How about Lock Crowther's and Malcom Tennent's? . Not only catamarans are built in Aluminium but the Australian preference for a tender ie a "Tinny" . In the USA Pontoon and Jon boats by the hundred thousands are built in Aluminium.
Old 07-14-2011, 12:33 AM   #4
Lieutenant

That is a very good point - I am glad to see at least one of the Old Salts thought this was a bit screwy, too. I have found a few folks here who work in aluminum but the real expertise really does seem to be in the southern hemisphere. And given the new alloys I was reading about (Blue Water Cruser, June, I think) there definitely seems to be some substance to the idea that aluminum has definitely registered a few points. Although I believe 5038 is considered "marine grade" aluminum the new products with a higher quantity of magnesium show real promise.

The Aluminum Industry Continues Support for the Marine Market

Ottawa, Canada
Old 07-14-2011, 12:36 AM   #5
Lieutenant

Oh, yeah, that link is kind of old though. Pre 6061 amd 6063 I think.

Ottawa, Canada