Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > The Multihull Club
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 11-28-2010, 06:55 PM   #1
Ensign

What's a good, ocean-worthy multihull, available for around $30K?

For example there's a bunch of boats here but I've no idea what's good and what's naff:

http://uk.boats.com/boats/search/boa...&is=false&No=0

From what I've been reading, very early ones were somewhat experimental and mostly home-made, so I'm deffo avoiding them.

The Telstar 28 seems perfect for me but fairly new, so probably very pricey. Any ocean-going alternatives out there, around the $25-30K mark?

And anything else specific I need to know about multi-hulls?

Defintely after a cruiser, not a racing machine.

??

W.

Old 11-29-2010, 12:30 AM   #2
Admiral

From the website you provided, the Catalac, Prout are multihaulls that have crossed the oceans, circumnavigated. The catamarans advertised were slow uncomfortable boats with very low bridge decks that results in pounding in a seaway, could barely sail to windward. Pros :- could be beached anywhere, cheap at today's prices (the ones shown all around 30,000 pounds sterling)

The Corsair trimaran a go fast boat - accommodation limits the use to short term sailing - not ideal for long distance cruising.

The Telstar is also a fast trimaran - again good for coastal cruising but fuel and water tankage not big enough for long distance cruising off-shore.

Unfortunately the budget of 25>>30K will not buy a modern day cruising Multihull, unless it requires a complete rebuild and repowering.

Old 11-29-2010, 11:04 AM   #3
Ensign

Okay... what would be the cheapest ocean-going multi' that doesn't overly pound and so on, ie what's the price of entry for such things?

That doesn't require rebuilding

I don't want to get the boat then have no money to go anywhere...

Cheers

W.
Old 11-29-2010, 12:11 PM   #4
Admiral

Wiggly,

Perhaps, it might be useful if you set yourself a max amount that you can afford to purchase an ocean going multihull, landed all costs paid to a place of your choice. Also a budget for ongoing maintenance and cruising costs for period that you decide on. Once you have done that start researching the brokerage websites for boats that will fit into your financial plan.

There are a number of good books on cruising multihulls that will answer some of your questions - there are no short cuts.
Old 05-27-2011, 07:25 AM   #5
Ensign

So Wiggly - how far is your dream ?

I am in much the same "boat" but with a slightly larger budget. let us know !
Old 05-27-2011, 10:21 AM   #6
Rear Admiral

[QUOTE=Wiggly;1290974138]

What's a good, ocean-worthy multihull, available for around $30K?

For example there's a bunch of boats here but I've no idea what's good and what's naff:

http://uk.boats.com/...h&is=false&No=0

From what I've been reading, very early ones were somewhat experimental and mostly home-made, so I'm deffo avoiding them.

The Telstar 28 seems perfect for me but fairly new, so probably very pricey. Any ocean-going alternatives out there, around the $25-30K mark?

And anything else specific I need to know about multi-hulls?

Defintely after a cruiser, not a racing machine.

Gooday to both 'Wiggly & 'Kris' Pay a lot of attention to what Richard has said. He will not BUT I will say; 'MMNETSEA' aka Richard has forgotten more than many of us will ever learn - ever !! especially about multihulls & extensive cruising ! ('R', He He - I'm allowed to be 'cheaky' yes?) Now on to matters that may assist you both & others - that is if your open-minded enough to be bothered learning. 1/ 'Wig' Why - "Definitely after a cruiser, not a racing machine" ? Explain the difference for me please? Have you any real knowledge about the relative values of what you've said ? 2/ The best 'cruising' multihull makes at very best - an 'average' ocean-going safe sailing/cruising vessel, with due respect to Richard & others. 3/ Now, very humbly said, read my 'profile'; with my few years of 'playing with boats' & still looking for THE right multihull (while I'm busy re-designing & re-building a 35' cat) which has been my profession for a bit ; I have - in 12 years - not been able to find a multihull yacht - that would be safe for extended passages(anything over 2 weeks) for anything under 3 times what you've mentioned & that's even if I re-build it myself - - as I am doing. Please take a 'reality check' & do plan & cost - with great care. please ! 4/ What you are suggesting - cost wise - IS just NOT possible, anywhere in the world. Please don't get me wrong, I'm really wishing y'all my very best however do look at the very carefully at the hard cold facts not the dream in your head. Read my mantra ; "The man in the Glass" - "but your final reward will be heartache & tears - If you've cheated the man in the glass" MY humble advise is - don't try it - it doesn't work - - ever ! ! Have you ever sailed on a modern design & built multihull & can you compare that to a 'cruising' multihull, that you've sailed on ? ? ? You should get many sea miles under your belt before jumping, eh ? I'm not suggesting that you buy an ORMA 60 (as I would) but I'm urging you not to buy a slow, old & not safe multihull, please.

Kris, why do you (& the Admiral) want a floating hotel at a marina, a swimming platform that will not sail safely in any seaway of any size, strength or wind over 25 kts? Why not look into multihulls that really sail & do it safely & well in the proper ocean ? ? They cost more - considerably more - but you'll all have a much better chance of - staying alive & safe& most importantly - enjoying the dream. What's it matter where they are lying or where you buy it, if your going to 'go cruising'? ? I would be very concerned about - a fully fitted-out cruising multihull of that choice having enough bridge-deck clearance (whatr is the Dean cdlaiming to be in full cruising mode??) in a seaway of any size to be safe to sail & not break-up. Why don't y'all want a multihull that actually sails, does it properly, goes to windward & doesn't pound its guts out. Overloaded slow, fat, no-freeboard multihulls are not fun even when they are 58' long - I did that (on a mates yacht) for 6 months & several thousands of ks that way & never, ever again. If it doesn't sail well IT wont & can't sail properly - at all. Please - take it as it's ment - advise only & IMHO- good advise is all I'm intending. I really wish for you to go, do it, enjoy & tell us all about it. Ciao, james aka 'jj-geri-hat-trick' Good winds guys!
Old 05-31-2011, 11:37 AM   #7
Lieutenant

Home Port: Gisborne
Vessel Name: Balaena Bay

Wharram
Old 07-07-2011, 05:51 PM   #8
Ensign

To JJ - Gerri

I do appreciate your sentiments and agree with you almost totally. I have no intention of buying a boat thats not suited for what my small family need , and also no intention of putting all my savings into a boat. What I need is a 1 year comfortable sailing around the Med , probably between Italy & Croatia , after which we will either sell , and quit , or sell and upgrade. This must be a family decision and I have a very sociable young lad's involvement to consider. A monohull would be OK , but I have a hankering for a Cat. I have spoken at length to a few people who know the Dean 365 well , including the circumnavigator. I believe that this will be a "reasonable" boat to island hop with. And yes , it will be relatively slow. So what !

I crossed the Atlantic on a 2000 Voyage 50' with a delivery - and that had so many "slams" , there was a 3 mm crack thru the refridgeration unit after the crossing ! - slamming happens & its never comfortable .... And yes we did get 17 knots under sail.

I am the sailor in the family - my wife & kid are complete novices (stepdad & all that) and will probably keep sailing until I die. My wife may have other ideas and I know I can only nudge the youngster along hopefully. So , if I dont have $200K - I need to trim my search - and look for a challenged boat that I can fix up ! I have done this successfully before on Mono's. I have located a 42' in St Thomas that needs lotsa fixing - but I dont really want that.

As for Marina life - if my wife wants to pay for a night ashore - OK - but I always anchor out where its peacefull. And preferably where I am alone.

And so I look for a "challenged" boat needing my expertise and TLC not necessarily what I am starting out to look for - but definitely a seaworthy vessel capable of crossing the pond many times. My budget is $100k total spend on boat after 3 months. Leaving us a healthy monthly income to live off.

And yes I know all about boat budgets.

keep the input coming

Kris
Old 07-08-2011, 12:47 AM   #9
Commander

A 80-100k catamaran is probably what you are looking for. You can get a good used one for that but make sure it is a good one and doesn't require a lot of work or updating. Having to install new electronics, dodger, a water maker, solar, new sails, rigging, pumps, safety gear, dinghy, anchors, refrigerator, galley stove, (I could continue this for much too long), will cost a fortune. Take a very knowledgeable cruiser with you before signing and make sure everything works, then have the surveyor go over it. You will probably need 15 to 20k to outfit the boat, if it isn't set up to cruise. After that, expect expensive things to break. Anything on a boat is expensive. JMO

No breadfruit can be reached when the picking stick is too short.
Spike_dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 12:27 AM   #10
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by krissteyn View Post

To JJ - Gerri

I do appreciate your sentiments and agree with you almost totally. I have no intention of buying a boat thats not suited for what my small family need , and also no intention of putting all my savings into a boat. What I need is a 1 year comfortable sailing around the Med , probably between Italy & Croatia , after which we will either sell , and quit , or sell and upgrade. This must be a family decision and I have a very sociable young lad's involvement to consider. A monohull would be OK , but I have a hankering for a Cat. I have spoken at length to a few people who know the Dean 365 well , including the circumnavigator. I believe that this will be a "reasonable" boat to island hop with. And yes , it will be relatively slow. So what !

I crossed the Atlantic on a 2000 Voyage 50' with a delivery - and that had so many "slams" , there was a 3 mm crack thru the refridgeration unit after the crossing ! - slamming happens & its never comfortable .... And yes we did get 17 knots under sail.

I am the sailor in the family - my wife & kid are complete novices (stepdad & all that) and will probably keep sailing until I die. My wife may have other ideas and I know I can only nudge the youngster along hopefully. So , if I dont have $200K - I need to trim my search - and look for a challenged boat that I can fix up ! I have done this successfully before on Mono's. I have located a 42' in St Thomas that needs lotsa fixing - but I dont really want that.

As for Marina life - if my wife wants to pay for a night ashore - OK - but I always anchor out where its peacefull. And preferably where I am alone.

And so I look for a "challenged" boat needing my expertise and TLC not necessarily what I am starting out to look for - but definitely a seaworthy vessel capable of crossing the pond many times. My budget is $100k total spend on boat after 3 months. Leaving us a healthy monthly income to live off.

And yes I know all about boat budgets.

keep the input coming

Kris
G'day Kido, & your tribe, respectfully said. Darn nice when people respect the time & effort offered - always with good intentions - by 99% of cruisers - trying to give the best advice that most of us wished had been offerred to us when we were beginning. IMHO

Now - more to the point - do pay lots & lots of attention to everything 'spike_dawg' has to say. He's been-there, done-that, more importantly 'is doing-that' & has covered just a few miles in his travels, for sure. Much to be learned by all of us. Thanks 'spike' muchly!!

In an effort - to assist - I've gone into 'google' typed-in - Yachts for sale in Greece & then - Yachts for sale in Turkey. Wow !! Lots to see in these places. In - Yachts ... Greece there's (2nd down) Greg Yachts - Multihulls - a Tobago 35' asking 68K Euro (IMHO - offer 50K - walk away - leave contact #, they'll contact you for sure). Then there's a Bariva 390 Lagoon monohull, asking 59.5K Euro very complete yacht c/w 90% plus of the goodies needed to cruise - nice yacht - again offer 25% less & walk away. Greece's economy is a 'basket case' that I've been watching very closely for 6 months now & monohulls seems to be the better - value for dollar, although like you I'd rather a multi by far. Also many in the - Yachts ... Turkey. The very best of good fortune to y'all & fine sailing winds for the future. Ciao, james
Old 07-10-2011, 03:56 PM   #11
Ensign

Thanks all for the input - all being filed away for chewing on.

My advertising campaign has been in operation now for 2 months and the feedback is dribbling in. Got a call this morning from Kenya

I will be carefully checking all the options and projected final costs.

Kris
Old 07-11-2011, 05:47 AM   #12
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by krissteyn View Post

Got a call this morning from Kenya

Kris
I guess it will be based in Kilifi

Click image for larger version

Name:	Kilifi Creek.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	25.7 KB
ID:	1735

3 degrees 38.34' South x 39 degrees 51.18'East

- 2 aspects to consider

A. Kenya has almost zero in the way of materials or spares to repair an ocean going boat (if necessary)

B. With Somalia right next door not an ideal country to sail away from.